Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 08-05-2010, 10:59 AM
woop

Default Not vomiting with peroxide?

Pit got into something he shouldn't have this morning and so I gave him a dose hydrogen peroxide when I got to work to make him vomit it up. 20 minutes later, nadam so I gave him more. Nothing, so I gave him more. NOTHING. Over an hour later and what I'm assuming is bordering on a dangerous amount of peroxide, he is happy as a clam and not vomiting at all.

What to do? Vet?
Old 08-05-2010, 11:39 AM
overdogged

if it's something that he really needs to vomit, then yes, vet. although at an hour out, i'm not sure how much good it will do. your vet should be able to tell you.

some dogs just don't puke with peroxide.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 08-05-2010, 11:40 AM
Puppy Dog

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by skKi View Post
Pit got into something he shouldn't have this morning and so I gave him a dose hydrogen peroxide when I got to work to make him vomit it up. 20 minutes later, nadam so I gave him more. Nothing, so I gave him more. NOTHING. Over an hour later and what I'm assuming is bordering on a dangerous amount of peroxide, he is happy as a clam and not vomiting at all.

What to do? Vet?
This is off the net: Frequently, dogs ingest items, chemicals or foods that have the potential to be dangerous or even toxic. If you see this ingestion, you may be able to avoid the potential danger by making your dog vomit.

Inducing vomiting should be done only if instructed by your veterinarian. The procedure can be hazardous. We strongly encourage you to contact your family veterinarian or local veterinary emergency center for advice regarding the appropriateness of inducing vomiting for each specific incident. The item or substance ingested, the time and amount of ingestion, as well as the overall health of your dog should be considered prior to recommending the induction of vomiting.

Methods to Induce Vomiting

Hydrogen Peroxide

Three percent hydrogen peroxide is quite effective in making dogs and cats vomit. You must be sure to use three percent peroxide and not hair coloring strength peroxide.Despite the label indicating that hydrogen peroxide is toxic, it is safe to give to dogs for this purpose. It is considered toxic since it induces vomiting and therefore does not stay in the body.Yikes--But your baby did not vomit!!??

The appropriate dose of hydrogen peroxide is one teaspoon per 10 pounds of body weight. If you have an oral syringe, one teaspoon equals 5 cc or 5 ml. Once given, walk your dog around or gently shake the stomach area to mix the peroxide with the stomach contents. Vomiting should occur within 15 to 20 minutes. If no vomiting occurs, you can safely repeat the three percent hydrogen peroxide once. If it is still not effective, your dog may need to be seen by a veterinarian for stronger vomiting medication.

Once the hydrogen peroxide is given, it is important to watch your pet so that he does not re-ingest the substance. If there is concern about toxicity, collect and take a sample of the vomitus to your veterinarian.

There are many more sites to click on ---I put: dogs/giving proxide in my browser.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:47 AM
woop

I ended up calling my vet since she's notoriously good about giving advice over the phone. Considering the size of plastic he ate and his size, she says it will likely pass on its own and to just monitor for any problems very closely.

She said the same thing as you, Elegy. Some dogs just don't puke with peroxide, and I guess Pit is one of them!
Old 08-05-2010, 11:48 AM
Top Dog

What did he get into? What did he act like right afterwards?
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 08-05-2010, 11:53 AM
Top Dog

Oh, I was typing my post while you must have been posting your last one. LOL.

Oh yeah....plastic. Well, it is probably safer to see if it will pass out the other end than risking having him vomit and re-ingest, aspirate it or choke on it. Good luck. I bet he'll be fine. Rotten dogs! My dogs have gotten into their fair share of things they shouldn't eat. I think most dogs have. It can be dangerous but I think considering how much this happens where everything comes out okay, (pun intended) they are probably pretty well built to handle some bad stuff.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 08-05-2010, 11:54 AM
woop

He ate one of those blood absorbing packets you find at the bottom of ground beef packages. Immediately after doing it, he scurried away from me because I was shrieking at him then proceeded to happily lie down and lick his chops as though he just ate a fine breakfast. He's been acting completely normal since, even after all the peroxide.

EDIT: Apparently I did the same thing as you.

It's been forever since Pit has done anything like this! Last time I remember being worried about him eating something was rubber bands when he was a wee puppy. He would eat rubber bands like spaghetti.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:01 PM
Top Dog

Oh yeah, those delicious, bloody meat packet liners. Yum.

Here's a really good informational article about what to do with suspected or known ingestion of various things by dogs:

http://www.chazhound.com/forums/t90517/

Thomas Jefferson
Old 08-05-2010, 12:11 PM
Puppy Dog

You just brought back memories (Lol, not saying they are the best, but--) from when I was a child living on a dairy farm and this was before they quit using strainer pads to strain the milk going into milk cans. I was only about 6-7 yrs old and I can remember my dad (Now why would he do that--darn!) even throwing the soaked with milk used pads to the collie and the dog gulping them down. They must of all come out the other end but I do remember, ugh, some of them 'hanging' half way out the other end and being a little harder to get rid of. I don't think it was a very smart thing for my dad to let the dog have but just saying it is somewhat like these meat pads--prob meat pads a little worse though because of the 'plastic' in it.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:32 PM
Top Dog

Eeewwwwww! LOL.

Thomas Jefferson