Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 08-03-2010, 07:10 PM
I'm All Ears

Default Training contacts

Okay so Summer was taught to do running contacts. My new trainer does 2o/2o and recommended teaching summer those instead. So far... it's just confusing her because she's so programmed to go fast.

Thoughts?
Old 08-03-2010, 07:42 PM
Top Dog

Ooooh, 2o2o irritates me for some reason.... I like running contacts because they don't break up the flow of the course. 'Course Luna's small enough that she almost never jumps over the contacts, so it's never been a problem for us. I dred the day I get a bigger dog and have to actually teach contacts.

Seriously, though, is Summer missing the contacts or are you just wanting to teach 2o2o for the heck of it?

I think the way some people in my club taught it was that they got a target - brightly colored little plastic disk, like the red lid from a treat canister - and taught the dog that really smelly treats would be on the target. The dogs then learned to look for the target at the end of the contacts, getting your 2o2o. Eventually then you'd fade the treats and then fade the target altogether. I haven't tried it, but they seemed to get decently good results.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:55 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

If running contacts work for you then do them, explain to the trainer you'd prefer that versus the 2o2o. Kiba does running contacts, and so will the rest of the crew, unless (since they are still behind her in training) they are super fast or blowing contacts.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:22 PM
overdogged

steve, if we ever get back into agility, will have stopped contacts so that i have brakes. speedy freaking dog.

i taught him largely with a target, though i never baited it with food. i used a clicker and a board on the ground (flat, and then with one end raised). i did use my body to help him find the right position (two on two off head down) at first, but he caught on pretty quickly.

one thing i've really appreciated about the agility trainers i've had is that they never told me i *needed* to have one type of contact or another. we talked about the pros and cons of each, about my needs (super fast agility dog, completely novice handler), and they helped me figure out what would be likely to work best for me.
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 08-03-2010, 08:25 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzybeth727 View Post
Ooooh, 2o2o irritates me for some reason.... I like running contacts because they don't break up the flow of the course. 'Course Luna's small enough that she almost never jumps over the contacts, so it's never been a problem for us. I dred the day I get a bigger dog and have to actually teach contacts.

Seriously, though, is Summer missing the contacts or are you just wanting to teach 2o2o for the heck of it?

I think the way some people in my club taught it was that they got a target - brightly colored little plastic disk, like the red lid from a treat canister - and taught the dog that really smelly treats would be on the target. The dogs then learned to look for the target at the end of the contacts, getting your 2o2o. Eventually then you'd fade the treats and then fade the target altogether. I haven't tried it, but they seemed to get decently good results.
Summer is small enough like Luna that contacts aren't really an issue. EXCEPT on the teeter. She likes to jump the end of the teeter so I am definitely working on an 'slow down' on the teeter. The target approach is what they do here. It works really well for all the dogs but Summer. Summer is very ingrained to just keep going and since our class is made up of one giant dog, one medium, and a toy sized dog I have a bad habit of forgetting to move the target in closer. Because when the giant schnauzer is 2o2o the disk is way too far for Summer to reach with feet still on the contact.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:28 PM
I'm All Ears

Summer's a medium speed dog. She's the fastest dog in our class by far though regardless of size. The other two are kind of big lumbering type dogs (one is an aussie but she's the least drivey aussie I've ever seen). I don't think blowing contacts for speed is a big problem for Summer (minus the teeter again).

The teeter just takes a few seconds to tip since she's so small. She gets impatient and jumps for it.

ETA: I've also noticed Summer doesn't do well with breaks in the middle of things (like waiting at the end of a target). She sometimes loses focus and it takes her a minute to regroup whereas without the 2o2o, she will keep going much steadier.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:33 PM
Top Dog

Oh yeah, I forgot that Luna does jump off the teeter. Basically when I taught her not to jump off, I'd just run up in front of it, facing her, and pretty much body block her to keep her on. Now I still have to babysit her teeters, running beside her (instead of in front of her) to slow her down on it.

I think if I were to do the teeter all over again, I'd put her on the end of it and click when it hit the ground (letting it fall in a controlled way, of course); then treat her on the teeter... trying to teach her to make it go down herself.

As it is, most of the time we have teeters I just make any excuse to do a front cross while she's on the teeter... it really masks any "issues" we might have.

Did I mention that I'm SOOOO not an agility pro? LOL.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:11 PM
Top Dog

Laur, I am a little confused, you have running contacts for the teeter? I wouldn't advise that, nor do I like 2o2o for the teeter as it often can bounce and hit a smaller dog in the belly. Therefore I teach a rock back, ride it down and a stopped contact for the teeter. For the DW, I like a stopped contact or 2o2o, mainly because of our Gamblers class in AAC where it is common to flip the dog in a 180 away from the handler to another obstacle and because it can be hard to beat a dog to the end of the DW.
So my dogs and students dogs, learn ..............
DW = Stopped
Teeter= Ride it down, stopped.
Frame = Running, and/or a very fast 2o2o.

As for her being confused, give it time, they can be retrained to change the contact criteria, but make sure you change the name of it.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:16 PM
I'm All Ears

No, we don't do 2o2o for the teeter. I'm just having trouble slowing her down on the teeter and she's essentially just running off the end. But the other contacts she's fine doing running contacts and always (for the most part) hits them without stopping. But my trainer and the other students all do 2o2o. I just don't know if I should change Summer to 2o2o or keep her doing running contacts.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:18 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
No, we don't do 2o2o for the teeter. I'm just having trouble slowing her down on the teeter and she's essentially just running off the end. But the other contacts she's fine doing running contacts and always (for the most part) hits them without stopping.
Backchain the teeter and teach her how to back up (on the flat first) which is how get them to rock back and tip it down. Make sense? If not I can explain in more detail.