Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 07-31-2010, 03:40 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Oh I have TOTALLY poisoned Frodo's recall, lol. I will fully admit to that, and for the past few months I have not used the word at all. I do plan on re-teaching it (new word and all). My trainer has the Really Reliable Recall DVDs, which I may borrow to get me started.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 07-31-2010, 04:01 PM
Felurian

http://www.chazhound.com/forums/t36494/

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 07-31-2010, 04:10 PM
orange iguanas.

No emergency recall here. I have enough trouble getting Juno to obey a basic "come" command; if I'm going to put my energy into teaching a rock solid recall, I'm only going to need one word. If I can get her to a point where I can call her away from other dogs, then I'll be able to call her off anything!

Juno does not have the association with the words "want a treat??" I see people bribing their dogs that way ALL the time at the dog park, lol. And even if she did have that association, n most situations I don't think she'd care enough!

I do agree that the concept of an "emergency" recall is because it's so easy to poison the recall cue. So if you have another recall word that you don't use in every day situations, you're not as likely to screw it up. Fido may not respond reliably when you tell him to come, but if he turns on a dime when you yell "pickle!", then I guess you are better off only using that word when it's really needed.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 07-31-2010, 04:48 PM
Top Dog

It's not just about poisoned recalls. It's that even the best trained dogs with a superb recall can, at one time let nature get the best of them. The emergency recall is just an added safe guard, a little extra punch because it is not used often, it's very unique and compliance is always followed by an incredibly, one-of-a-kind, over-the-moon, high value reinforcer. It does not replace a very good recall that is cued on a more regular basis. It's like taking a car with a 4 cylinder engine and popping in a V-8 at those times where the 4 cyl. might not work very reliably. (like animals with a high predation tendency) That one time where the dog decides to chase the cat across the road, even when he has always, always come before.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 08-01-2010, 06:11 PM
and Fozzie B!

"Leave it" is my emergency recall.... it is a command that I never allow them to ignore or fail and I always reward it heavily. I've called them off of a cat that literally ran inches in front of them when they were recalling. Their recall is very good, but chase instinct over-rode that. The second I said "leave IT" they stopped dead in their tracks.

It's also good for keeping them away from suspicious food on the ground, wild animals, marking, etc, etc.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 08-06-2010, 05:27 AM
Ruddy Buttinski

Quote:
1. Have you taught a formal emergency recall for your dog(s)? Why or why not?
I haven't, and I've never understood why you wouldn't just teach the normal recall until it's reliable. I've read the 'emergency recall' training protocol, and you could easily apply that to training a normal recall. Why have a command that's only 'sort of' a command, but really, Dog, this is the *real* one you're actually supposed to listen to...

Quote:
2. Do you have any words that you think could be used as an informal emergency recall for your dogs (ex: asking if they want to go for a ride)?
Nope. I do have a formal and informal recall, but it's more of an obedience trial vs. casual at-home thing. Sienna's formal recall is "front" and it's competition obedience style, i.e. come directly to me and sit in front of me. If I just want to get her in the vicinity, or in the house from the yard, I tell her "come on!" or call her name.

Quote:
3. What is the difference, in your opinion, between a regular recall and an emergency recall?
I think the regular recall should be so reliable that there's no need for redundancy.

Quote:

3. If you found yourself in an "emergency" situation (ex: your dog ran across a busy street), what other obedience would be useful in that sort of situation in addition to a recall/emergency recall?
Good question. Though if my dog was on the other side of a busy street, I wouldn't want her trying to come to me (and cross the street) at all. The formal obedience "drop" exercise is great for this. The dog should down from a hand signal or command from far away even if it's running towards you. I think this one, if reliable, could save the dog from say running across the street to you. I think this is a great argument for teaching a reliable 'stay' as well!

If the dog will sit & stay from a distance, you could also use that. "Wait" is a good one, too. For Sienna that means "stay where you are" until I release her or go to her. I can even give an example of it working - we walk on a local path that's also a cycling path. She's usually offleash, because the path isn't near any roads, and Sienna is a velcro dog, and has learned that when she hears a bike, to heel until it's gone/I say ok. One time, though, she was on the other side of the path from me, and some bikes came up. She started to come to me, but that would have put her directly in the path of the bikes, so I yelled, "wait!" and she stopped and stayed put. Bikes went by, everyone was safe. Good girl!