Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-24-2010, 07:45 PM
Top Dog

Default I Do Not..

Crate nor do I clicker train.

And I do not understand the big deal about that. I have mentioned it in a couple places, and things get switched onto how I must not be a very good owner/trainer and I must start both.

I tried to use a clicker in the past, and I just found it got in the way of what I could already do fine without the use of a 'click'. And crating, I just don't see the need for my dogs, and alot of times other dogs. I do see how crates can be useful for certain areas and certain dogs (For one example: Showing; wouldn't want your dogs on a lead getting in the way, possible tangeling itself in equipment and such.).

Now that I sat to think about it while writing this post, I am seeing how crates can be more useful then I originally thought, still not something I would use, and can't say I'm in full support in certain areas, but I did say, "Oh, well that makes sense as to why people use them more now" and such.

And also, just more of an opinion here.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:48 PM
feel the magic

Ok...so you don't clicker train and you don't crate.
And...not to be rude, but...who cares?

As long as you aren't sitting back in judgement of those that do those things, why would anyone have a problem?
Old 07-24-2010, 08:03 PM
overdogged

i use both. *shrug*
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 07-24-2010, 08:03 PM
Love My Mutt <3

I do neither with Rosey. With future dogs, I probably will crate, because I plan on doing agility and rally and such with them (rather, I hope to )

I can see the point of clicker training. We started Rosey with it, but she just did not like it, so we stopped. AllieMackie uses it with Finn, therefore I use it now when I am teaching Finn things. I really do not see a reason for or against it. Whatever works for the dog.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 07-24-2010, 08:07 PM
Sport Model Pug

A really random post much...

I clicker Izzie, but i don't use crates. I see the point, i just don't have the space. I do make sure all my dogs are fine with crates/confinement though...

Clicker just works the best with my dogs... Cesar methods and Brad Pattison methods didn't work at all so i read and researched and found the clicker.

No one REALLY cares what you do, sure if you zap and slap your dogs we're going to be a little miffed and fear for the dog. Really though none of us can really do anything about it besides try to inform you.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 07-24-2010, 08:07 PM
Top Dog

Hey- I don't clicker train, either- for the same reason you stated- the clicker just got in my way. My "click" so to say is "Yes".

Crate training- yes, Caleb is crate trained. Do I use one every day? No. In fact- all the crates I own are folded up in the garage. Well, except for the Vari Kennel, but that's out there, too. But, I know if needed, I can crate Caleb and he won't stress out. Plus, he's crated when we go anyplace in the Escape, and there are going to be times he'll need to be crated at trials, class, matches or the vet. Do I think you're an awful owner for not crating? Absolutely not. The thought never crossed my mind. To each his own I say.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:10 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

I <3 my clicker.

As for crates. I don't think I'd ever *not* use a crate, unless I got a dog with a serious aversion to it, but Frodo hasn't used a crate since I got back from MN. He's almost 5 and isn't peeing inside or destroying things, so I figure I won't waste the money to buy another one for him unless he needs it.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:18 PM
Lord Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyPug View Post
I see the point [of using crates], I just don't have the space. I do make sure all my dogs are fine with crates/confinement though...
See, as long as someone does THIS, I have no problem with people not crating.

I do believe dogs should know what a crate is, purely from a safety standpoint. When a dog goes to a pro groomer, it's put in a crate. When a dog goes to a vet and has to stay the night, it's put in a crate. When a dog goes to the ICU at the state teaching hospital for a major illness or trauma.... it's put in a crate. It's a lot safer and less stressful for the dog - in all of the aforementioned situations - for it to be familiar with being crated. Maybe your dog will never visit a groomer, but you never know when your dog will be staying at a veterinary facility. And let me tell ya, when a 100lb dog wakes up from a double TPLO surgery and instantly starts freaking out because it's in a (large) crate-like enclosure... that's NOT a pretty sight.

But hey, it's not my call - especially since I don't work at a teaching hospital or in a grooming salon anymore.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 07-24-2010, 08:22 PM
Sport Model Pug

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzleDog View Post
See, as long as someone does THIS, I have no problem with people not crating.

I do believe dogs should know what a crate is, purely from a safety standpoint. When a dog goes to a pro groomer, it's put in a crate. When a dog goes to a vet and has to stay the night, it's put in a crate. When a dog goes to the ICU at the state teaching hospital for a major illness or trauma.... it's put in a crate. It's a lot safer and less stressful for the dog - in all of the aforementioned situations - for it to be familiar with being crated. Maybe your dog will never visit a groomer, but you never know when your dog will be staying at a veterinary facility. And let me tell ya, when a 100lb dog wakes up from a double TPLO surgery and instantly starts freaking out because it's in a (large) crate-like enclosure... that's NOT a pretty sight.

But hey, it's not my call - especially since I don't work at a teaching hospital or in a grooming salon anymore.
That's exactly what sparked my teaching them the isolation/confinement is okay. Izzie was fine before since she had a bag she went in for the store, but she ended up staying 3 nights at the emergency hospital 2 hours drive away from me. You never know when something like that's going to happen, the eye injury was a freak accident and before i knew it we were on the road with a dog with a prolapsed iris on the way to the hospital. She also had to be confined after the surgery too as to not mess up the eye and so i didn't kick her in my sleep, so we borrowed a crate and i made room and she was fine.

You just NEVER know.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 07-24-2010, 08:28 PM
overdogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzleDog View Post
It's a lot safer and less stressful for the dog - in all of the aforementioned situations - for it to be familiar with being crated.
absolutely. we had a dog with heat stroke in at work yesterday. once he was out of crisis, he was put in a kennel to hang out and get his iv fluids. the dog had never been in a crate before. ever. the last thing that dog needed was more stress when he already was having trouble breathing, but there wasn't much we could do about it. thankfully he settled down pretty quickly.

i've been through two knee surgeries with luce and now steve's iliopsoas injury. if they'd not been crate trained, it would have made something that was already hard so much harder. plus both of them are dog sport dogs- it's pretty close to impossible to go to a trial/tourney without being able to crate your dog, especially in the summer.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?