Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-21-2010, 08:26 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewbecca View Post
ok, i am going to get mine! A practical guide to resource guarding in dogs.

Should i also get "fight! A practical guide to the treatment of dog-dog aggression[/u]?

And the culture clash book as well???

If i buy all three of those then i'll get free shipping from amazon.
but are those books worth the read?i know a lot of people praise jean donaldson, but i wasn't sure.
I know patricia mcconnell's book "the other end of the leash" taught me soooo much about dogs and how they communicate differently from humans.
And it taught me that in a matter of a few pages.

YES!!!!!! lol!
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 07-21-2010, 08:30 PM
Behavior Nerd

I second the giant YES!!!! - all three books are great resources!

Old 07-21-2010, 08:49 PM
feel the magic

Ok, ordered all three books!
Old 07-21-2010, 09:00 PM
Top Dog

Wow! Awesome! Now, will you order a few new ones for me? You seem to be rolling in dough and I neeeeeeeeeeeeed more books. I deserrrrrrrve more books. And right now, I'm under priveledged. I neeeeeeeeed more books.

Hey, cool! I think you should read Culture Clash first because she'll really lay it all out...the basics. Then you can apply and incorporate that to the next ones. (just my thoughts) You are so smart to buy these books.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 07-21-2010, 09:15 PM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv View Post
I know what you mean Renee. Sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do at the time. I've had plenty of occassions in the past where I told a dog, "Hey! Quit!" (to take care of an urgent situation at hand) But then I knew I had to go back to square one and work on showing the dog that whatever it is he had his "panties in a twist" (I hate that expression) is really nothing more than a figment of his imagination. LOL. They're so easy to brainwash.

And you're so right. The individual dog has to be taken into consideration. However....(you knew that was going to come out of my mouth, didn't you) dogs are still animals and they're all the same species with similar tendencies, stemming from instincts that they all have to one degree or another. And history shows us that there are certain things we do, where there are odds that work in or against our favor and certain outcomes that are very typical. Some of them are almost predictable. But it's really hard to know exactly just how any dog will be affected because they're not really static ever. They may have had a rotten day and are stressed out to the hilt and what might not have riled them up one day, does that day. (just like with us) So that's why my stance is to err on the side of caution. But I can tell from your posts AND from the fact that you have filas, (lol) that you understand them and instinctively know how to balance them out just so.
Nope. You do NOT bullshit a Fila. You must act from absolute truth when you are dealing with one. I know that sounds like anthropomorphism, but it isn't. This is a unique canine. They KNOW. This is a big reason they are not for anyone and a large part of the reason that so many professional trainers and behaviorists don't help, and in fact harm, when they're brought in to work with Filas.

I have learned so much from them, and it's turned much of what I thought I knew -- what worked with other dogs -- inside out. It's also changed the way I work with my other dogs and brought me closer to them.

Cleo . . . Now there was a gut check, lol! Working with Cleo and seeing her go from a scared, defensive, confused, hurt -- and dangerous -- creature to being able to watch her confidence grow by leaps and bounds, as well as seeing her affectionate nature explode, to see her trust, play, and against all odds, I think she really did believe and understand that she was going to her true home when she left me, by her reactions that Linda described when she got there. Cleo erased any shadows of doubt I had that there is a deeper understanding than we have been prepared to acknowledge.

I would love to spend time with Doc, working with Filas. If anyone could work with them successfully, she could.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 07-21-2010, 09:26 PM
Top Dog

When I say "brain wash," that does not mean be dishonest. It means do things in such a way that the dog changes his own mind about something. Ie: motivation and reinforcement. Filas may be harder in many ways. There are also other breeds that are different and not as easy to deal with. But they're still domestic dogs...still the same species and there are still basic truths in how they learn. I have no doubt that there are variations in how they're handled etc or different things that motivate them. But I don't believe they are a completely different animal.

I agree and have no doubt that dogs understand more than we give them credit for. But it's important to have a good idea of just what it is that they likely understand and not assume things that are really random guessing. They usually show us.

Thomas Jefferson
Old 07-21-2010, 11:42 PM
and Fozzie B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbecca View Post
Ok, I am going to get MINE! A Practical Guide to Resource Guarding in Dogs.

Should I also get "FIGHT! A Practical Guide to the Treatment of Dog-Dog Aggression[/u]?

And The Culture Clash book as well???

If I buy all three of those then I'll get free shipping from Amazon.
But are those books worth the read?

I know a LOT of people praise Jean Donaldson, but I wasn't sure.
I know Patricia McConnell's book "The other End of the Leash" taught me soooo much about dogs and how they communicate differently from humans.
And it taught me that in a matter of a few pages.
All of those books are AMAZING... there is only so much you can learn online and by talking to people. Having books give you so much more of a deeper insight. It makes it easier to figure out what works for your dogs and gives you way more confidence.

Karen Pryor and Emma Parsons are two of my other favorite authors.

Even if Luke is only guardy in his crate with Kongs right now, he's still a puppy and figuring things out... if can't hurt to really work on the issue at it's core, which is probably insecurity in general. Who knows what he went through before he came to you? He's probably amazed and shocked at all of the good stuff and love that he gets.

Personally, I wouldn't keep their crates right next to each other. That could contribute to stressing in his crate, even if it doesn't seem like it has anything to do with Ophie. But that's JMO.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 07-21-2010, 11:53 PM
and Fozzie B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv View Post
When I say "brain wash," that does not mean be dishonest. It means do things in such a way that the dog changes his own mind about something. Ie: motivation and reinforcement. Filas may be harder in many ways. There are also other breeds that are different and not as easy to deal with. But they're still domestic dogs...still the same species and there are still basic truths in how they learn. I have no doubt that there are variations in how they're handled etc or different things that motivate them. But I don't believe they are a completely different animal.

I agree and have no doubt that dogs understand more than we give them credit for. But it's important to have a good idea of just what it is that they likely understand and not assume things that are really random guessing. They usually show us.
I agree with this... it's so true! SO many people tell me that Huskies/Hounds/insert breed are impossible to train, their dog doesn't learn like other dogs, etc. If they had met Fozzie when he was a puppy, they would probably say the same about him. He is naturally super headstrong and independent, I've never met a puppy who tested me so much. But the bottom line is; all animals do what is rewarding to them. CC is always at work, whether you realize it or not.

I'm not saying that Filas aren't super intelligent, unique, amazing dogs. And that you were right to not reinforce or allow pushy behavior from Cleo... you taught her that being a brat is not going to get rewarded, probably for the first time in her life.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 07-22-2010, 06:50 AM
feel the magic

Hey!!
I am most certainly NOT rolling in dough.
All three books were relatively affordable, and my husband was placing an order with amazon anyway, AND if something is informative and can help me build a better relationship with my dogs, and have a better understanding of my dogs, it's worth the money spent.
I probably could have gotten them even cheaper had I bought them from a used book site, but those come from individuals who usually ship media mail and they take FOREVER to get here. I could have bought it from my local dog store (maybe), but it would have cost more than what I bought them for from amazon.

But I am not rolling in dough, believe me!!!!
Old 07-22-2010, 10:15 AM
Top Dog

LOL! I don't like used books that well. You never know what people had on their hands when they touched those pages.....boogers, e-coli, food. So, you done good. Hahaha. Nice new books...yes, they're a very good investment. The education you get can't be substituted by anything else. So, even if you're not rolling in dough, you'll be rolling in something that will pay you back many times over. (You know I was just kidding, I hope. )

Thomas Jefferson