Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-21-2010, 04:47 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxter'smybaby View Post
Wilson does this--he sounds ominous--but I have learned that it is how he is communicating--took us awhile to learn that.
Wrigley was a "rumbler". At first I though he was growling, but then I realized it was this low "growl" only when he exhaled. He would take a big breath in, and then with mouth closed and all, make this growly sound deep in his throat. That dog did it all the time. Sit on his couch? Rumble, rumble, rumble, Pet him while he was napping? Rumble, rumble, rumble. Look at him when he didn't want to be looked at? Rumble, rumble, rumble. But then again, he would jump up on the couch by you, put his head in your lap, wag his tail........and rumble, rumble, rumble.

He definitely was somethin'.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:51 PM
Top Dog

As far as the cage guarding....the thing is, she can put her hand right in the crate. It's like the dog growls or some variation of that, but only when she is near, but hasn't gone into the crate with her hand. So, my idea is that once the hand is in the crate (territory or food) the dog has resigned himself that..."Oh well, I guess it's not so bad after all" or he's not really worried about it at all. (maybe it just appears to be that way). When she is near the crate and hasn't "intruded" yet, the dog growls. So, could it be that at this point, he's anticipating something that in his mind is going to be worse than it really is? Is he not sure at this stage that his stuff is really truly safe, but not so worried as to bite? Whatever it is he has in his mind (we can never know for sure) I'd still take the pre-caution of re-conditioning him to being oh so glad that you come near because it means super good stuff is going to happen...super good treats and that you're not taking his stuff away, but bringing better stuff. And that you control those things.

Like I said, I'd practice the give and take game in various locations so he can generalize better to different contexts and locations...that it isn't just the crate that all this "activity" takes place near. It happens everywhere. LOL. Try feeding him in other areas of the house. See what he does when you come near his food. If he stiffens up or growls, he is showing you he's nervous about losing his food. Don't take it away though...don't harass him when he's eating UNLESS...you don't give him ownership of the bowl by putting all his food in and leaving the bowl in his possession. (again...it has nothing to do with respect. Dogs aren't hardwired to share their food and respect anyone who threatens their survival) Instead, just a handful, then another handful. Then you own and control the food. When you keep your hand on the food, it's yours. When he has food in a bowl and your hand isn't holding the bowl, he owns it. Once you take your hand off the bowl, it's his and he has every right (in doggie culture) to defend it. It's up to us to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that it behooves them big time to tolerate and even love people around their valuables.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 07-21-2010, 04:54 PM
Top Dog

Haha...missed some posts about the rumbling. LOL. I can relate. Jose` is a big rumbler but it's not centered around food. (he can't even take the time to breathe when he's eating) He rumbles to get my attention when he's feeling playful. And he growls and warbles when he's just being silly and goofy. That is accompanied by a big play bow and a waggy tail. He looks at me with those mischieveous eyes and makes sudden pouncy movements. It's too cute. I've been trying to get this on cue for a long time. The cue is "talk to me." But so far, we haven't made much progress. He has to be in just the right mood. LOL.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 07-21-2010, 05:04 PM
Athletic Labs. They Exist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miakoda View Post
Wrigley was a "rumbler". At first I though he was growling, but then I realized it was this low "growl" only when he exhaled. He would take a big breath in, and then with mouth closed and all, make this growly sound deep in his throat. That dog did it all the time. Sit on his couch? Rumble, rumble, rumble, Pet him while he was napping? Rumble, rumble, rumble. Look at him when he didn't want to be looked at? Rumble, rumble, rumble. But then again, he would jump up on the couch by you, put his head in your lap, wag his tail........and rumble, rumble, rumble.

He definitely was somethin'.
Lol sounds exactly like Morrison. At first I thought it was growling too. And then learned thats just anouther way he communicates. Not too different from my dads Husky who makes all kinds of weird "aroo" sounds and rumbles.
Sawyer (2 year old, Labrador Retriever)
Morisson (2 year old, Lab/Beagle)
And aunt to-
Grace
aka my brothers/roommates dog.(1 year old, Lab/Shiba Inu)
Old 07-21-2010, 05:08 PM
Top Dog

And you think he's growling at you, right? Bailey will sometimes get growly with his toys when he plays with them (especially when he rolls on them) -- it's a happy noise.

I think having a trainer watch the behavior (in addition to taking the steps others have suggested with regard to resource guarding) is a good idea -- it'll be good to get a better idea about what is going on in his little puppy mind.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:16 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey08 View Post
And he's growling at you, right? Bailey will sometimes get growly with his toys when he plays with them (especially when he rolls on them) -- it's a happy noise.

I think having a trainer watch the behavior (in addition to taking the steps others have suggested with regard to resource guarding) is a good idea -- it'll be good to get a better idea about what is going on in his little puppy mind.
It's so hard over the Internet, isn't it. When we can't actually see the dog and what he's doing. (Maybe a video?) Even then sometimes, it's hard to tell. Dogs definitely use their voices (growls, warbles, rumbles, squeaks, howls) for all kinds of reasons. Not every growl is necessarily a warning or threat. Maybe he's saying, "Hi Mom! Look what I have. What else are you bringing in here?" LOL.

Jose` struts when he has his Nyla bone or sock in his mouth. He totally looks like he is very proud and wants to show it to anyone who will watch. His whole gait changes, his chin goes down and he often brings the toy very close to my face if I'm lying down. He holds it over me like, "Look Mom! See? See?" Along with that strut comes all kinds of growl sounds. He's not protecting it at all. He couldn't care less if someone takes it. That just means they're going to play with him. I grab his toys when he has them in his mouth and either play tug or pretend I'm going to take it and I make growly noises too. Sometimes I ask him to "give" and then I toss it for him. He's positive that any grabbing of his stuff means the fun is about to begin.

So, it just depends on so much. Do you have a video? Is it possible to see the dog as well as hear him...or is that too hard to capture on video? Maybe he'd stop doing it anyhow, if you're all set up with the camera.

Thomas Jefferson
Old 07-21-2010, 05:19 PM
Felurian

Or it could just be "open the **** door, Mom"

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 07-21-2010, 05:32 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

AH. I remember going through this with Teagan. She was not kennel guarding, but the first time I ever gave her a bully stick and I went near her she covered it with her head and growled at me. well I told her "NO!!" right away very loud and clear to know I was not happy about her growling at me and after that she never did that again.

I hope you get some help with this Becca as I am sure its an eerie feeling when your sweet, cute puppy starts growling at you

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 07-21-2010, 05:50 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayleyMarie View Post
AH. I remember going through this with Teagan. She was not kennel guarding, but the first time I ever gave her a bully stick and I went near her she covered it with her head and growled at me. well I told her "NO!!" right away very loud and clear to know I was not happy about her growling at me and after that she never did that again.

I hope you get some help with this Becca as I am sure its an eerie feeling when your sweet, cute puppy starts growling at you
So far you've been lucky. You supressed that behavior of growling, at least thus far. But in many, many cases, that punishing the growl backfires and the next time the dog's resources are threatened, he doesn't growl. He bites. It turned out that you haven't been growled at again, but is the dog feeling any less concerned about having her valuables taken away? Maybe you've shown her later on that you won't take her bone. How is she if you need to take something very high value out of her mouth?

And of course, depending on temperament, breed type and individual, some dogs will back down easily and never give their owner any further problems. But there are those that will only back down temporarily or not at all. So, prevention is the best policy IMO. That is...to condition a dog to enjoy having humans near his stuff because one never knows how any particular dog is going to react or process that kind of feedback over the long term. Punishment should never be used to treat aggression. In this case, "aggression."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 07-21-2010, 06:00 PM
Felurian

It's a fine line, Dober, and as individual as the dog.

When Cleo air snapped at me when I was transporting her, if I had let her get by with it and hadn't turned right around and told her I wasn't putting up with that kind of nonsense I'd never have been able to do anything with her. BUT -- after I did that, I let her know we were okay, because once she chilled back out in the seat behind me in the truck (cab and a half, talk about tight quarters with a strange Fila, lol!), even though she was still wary, I went back to opening the SlimJim, talking to her the whole time in a normal voice, and gave it to her, not all at once, but she had to eat it a small piece at a time from my hands, letting her know that she was going to have to trust me, but showing her that I was going to trust her in return.

Sometimes you have to get the message across that snarkiness just will not fly.

It was a calculated risk in that case, but if I had let her get by with it I don't think I'd have been able to work with her, or at least not without more drama. I had to BELIEVE that I was in control of the situation strongly enough that Cleo believed it too, but without playing that silly-assed dominance bullshit. We established a base line of mutual trust and respect that we could work forward from.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian

Last edited by Renee750il; 07-21-2010 at 06:22 PM.