Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 07-20-2010, 09:16 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

Default Stryder Help Again

So things have been going good for the old boy. I've stepped back and haven't been doing anything with him since I last posted, other than working on desensitizing him to loud noises/yelling (it's been an ongoing thing since he was a pup, though with adding more dogs it seemed to have gotten worse). He's recently back to laying on the bed and sleeping on my pillows again (maybe hasn't done that for a few weeks to a month) and honestly seems to be a little more relaxed and back to his annoying gigantic self.

Anyways, I need some help/ideas on what's going on. Either he needs motivation, or doesn't *see a point*.

If I'm sitting on the bed, couch, standing, any number of places and ask him to sit he just stares at me with a *doy* expression and wags his tail, or wanders off and plays with a toy or other dog. If I have food or a toy he wants, he'll sit, down, shake, high five, etc. until the sun goes down.

Is my dog finding me boring? Or just not motivated enough? I have the other 3 tripping over themselves doing commands with no food or toys in sight, but with him he goes all derp on me.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:25 PM
Crazy Dog!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MericoX View Post
So things have been going good for the old boy. I've stepped back and haven't been doing anything with him since I last posted, other than working on desensitizing him to loud noises/yelling (it's been an ongoing thing since he was a pup, though with adding more dogs it seemed to have gotten worse). He's recently back to laying on the bed and sleeping on my pillows again (maybe hasn't done that for a few weeks to a month) and honestly seems to be a little more relaxed and back to his annoying gigantic self.

Anyways, I need some help/ideas on what's going on. Either he needs motivation, or doesn't *see a point*.

If I'm sitting on the bed, couch, standing, any number of places and ask him to sit he just stares at me with a *doy* expression and wags his tail, or wanders off and plays with a toy or other dog. If I have food or a toy he wants, he'll sit, down, shake, high five, etc. until the sun goes down.

Is my dog finding me boring? Or just not motivated enough? I have the other 3 tripping over themselves doing commands with no food or toys in sight, but with him he goes all derp on me.
Use the other dogs enthusiasm as a motivator for him. Without getting out treats ask for a sit. If he just stares at you, walk off and engage another dog. Get excited and ask the other dog to sit, if he/she does, party and run to the treat jar or whatever and give the "good dog" a treat. Completely ignore Stryder through this whole ordeal. The moment he ignores you, he lost you and all opportunity for treats/praise/toys. It may take several times of you doing this before he realizes "Oh, she doesn't HAVE to play with me" before he catches on.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:07 AM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MericoX View Post

He's being bribed.

Put treats in little containers all over the place where they'll be in easy reach. Any time you see him sit (or whatever other behavior you want) give a marker sound/word and get him a treat.

It'll take a little while for him to get out of the habit of needing you to have a treat first, but if you stick with it he'll get there.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team