Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 09-11-2005, 10:21 PM
Active Pup

Default Responsible selling of puppies

Never expect to make money because it will not happen!

1] All puppies should be vet checked a minimum of three times before leaving.
2] All puppies should at least have the first vaccines, mine have one and two done.
3] Puppies should be at least 8 weeks old before leaving no exceptions, mine are 12 weeks.
4] Puppies should be spay or neutered before leaving, or at the very least sold with a contract and the contract should be verified and if not fulfilled then the puppy should be removed.
5] Puppies should be tatooed or microchipped before leaving and registered before leaving.
6] Puppies should come with a guarantee of a minimum of 2 years, mine are 5 years
7] Puppies should be well socialized to children, other pets and daily house hold things
8] Puppies should be well started in their house training, should be crate trained
9] Puppies should be temperment tested and the paperwork should be provided.
10] Puppies should be loved by the breeder and the utmost concern should be given to selling them, many questions should be asked and home visits when ever possible. If that means the breeder hops on a plane to go check the place out then do it, I do.

These are just off the top of my head when I think of more I will add htem but other breeders here can add to them too.
Old 09-11-2005, 11:53 PM
Top Dog

I did all except the micro chipping....we didn't have that then !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 09-12-2005, 12:21 AM
Big German Shepherd

I personally don't like the micro chip or even the tatooing... but besides that, the list looks great.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:47 AM
Quigleyfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog2191
I personally don't like the micro chip or even the tatooing... but besides that, the list looks great.
why not?

it's often the only proof of ownership and sorely needed to return animals to their rightful owner if they were stolen, ran away or got lost otherwise.

don't you want to maximize the chance to get your dog back if you ever lose it or if there's a dispute about who owns it?

would you rather your dog be held at a shelter until someone can get a hold of you to tell you they have your dog, even if it takes a week or two? here in L.A. the shelters only have a mandatory holding period of three business days for dogs picked up without any kind of ID. if the shelter is full and needs to take in more animals, those are the first ones to be euthanized to make room.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 09-12-2005, 04:42 AM
Kelpiefied

Reputable breeders will offer to take the pup back at anytime during it's life. My breeder recently got a five year old collie back, she would rather know the animal she bred was safe and cared for, even if the owners were idiots.
Old 09-12-2005, 08:03 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordy
why not?

it's often the only proof of ownership and sorely needed to return animals to their rightful owner if they were stolen, ran away or got lost otherwise.

don't you want to maximize the chance to get your dog back if you ever lose it or if there's a dispute about who owns it?

would you rather your dog be held at a shelter until someone can get a hold of you to tell you they have your dog, even if it takes a week or two? here in L.A. the shelters only have a mandatory holding period of three business days for dogs picked up without any kind of ID. if the shelter is full and needs to take in more animals, those are the first ones to be euthanized to make room.
Exactly.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:19 AM
yuckaduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridey_01
Reputable breeders will offer to take the pup back at anytime during it's life. My breeder recently got a five year old collie back, she would rather know the animal she bred was safe and cared for, even if the owners were idiots.

I know January takes her pups back that is how she ended up with Molly again. The people who got her used her for SAR and then they move to other things so they returned Molly. Otherwise there would be no puppers right now because she would only have Tommy. I do not think Molly will ever leave January though. She is spaying after these puppies because it is her 6 litter and January says time to be a dog. She is keeping her as a pet though, not re homing her.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:24 AM
Manchesters

1] All puppies should be vet checked a minimum of three times before leaving.

NO WAY!!!!!!!!!! Mine go to the vet one time to get their health certification. The vet's office is plague city to baby puppies. No need for a puppy to go at all.

2] All puppies should at least have the first vaccines, mine have one and two done.

Same here. I give my own shots.

3] Puppies should be at least 8 weeks old before leaving no exceptions, mine are 12 weeks.

Agreed.......12 weeks for mine.

4] Puppies should be spay or neutered before leaving, or at the very least sold with a contract and the contract should be verified and if not fulfilled then the puppy should be removed.

Huh???? Spay a 12 week old puppy? Yeah, right, lol. All you have to do is withhold the papers until pup is neutered. Of course as far as breeding there was no problem, since I was about the only one in the surrounding 4 states that had Toy Manchesters, rofl.

5] Puppies should be tatooed or microchipped before leaving and registered before leaving.

Tatooes blurr and fade......not reliable. Microchipping a 3/4 pound puppy is not easy. The owner can get them chipped when the pup hits about 4 months.

6] Puppies should come with a guarantee of a minimum of 2 years, mine are 5 years

Mine had a lifetime guarantee, and a lifetime that I got buy back rights if pup was getting got rid of.

7] Puppies should be well socialized to children, other pets and daily house hold things

Thank God I had no kids around here. I would not sell to anyone with kids, so this was not a problem. I made the mistake of selling a Dobe pup or two to people with kids. Pups ended up dead within two months. NO WAY!!!!!!!

8] Puppies should be well started in their house training, should be crate trained

Mine went with a crate as part of the equipment. (And I only got $300 for the few pets I sold)

9] Puppies should be temperment tested and the paperwork should be provided.

I created the temperament and behavior in my pups. They all had sterling personalities and temperaments.

10] Puppies should be loved by the breeder and the utmost concern should be given to selling them, many questions should be asked and home visits when ever possible. If that means the breeder hops on a plane to go check the place out then do it, I do.

Well, since I always had people waiting on pups before I even bred, this was no problem. One super, super sweet lady from Mobile had to wait about 1 1/2 years for a pup, bless her heart.

Once upon a time I had an "ooopppssss" litter of Whippets. There were, of course 12 puppies. If it had been a planned breeding, the b!tch would not have taken, lol. I had 6 of those pups for 13 years now. I just lost Bubbles a month or so ago.

So, I guess I was an exellent, outstanding breeder. Oh.......and you forgot one very important thing-----the only reason for having puppies in the first place is in an effort to improve upon the breed, or to improve upon the dogs you have for showing and breeding.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:00 AM
yuckaduck

They are spaying and neutering at 8 weeks now. At least in Ottawa at the spay neuter clinic they do it that you and apparently they use laser techinques. All monkey talk to me did not know until we start looking at neutering Yuck when he was 4 months. Most vets said no way, but we did go to the clinic and they told me they do it as early as 8 weeks and it is actually easier than waiting. Do not know I am not a vet.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:19 PM
Active Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridey_01

Very true forgot that one.

11]Contract that no matter what reason or what age all puppies that are not kept are to be returned to the original breeder.

I do follow that just forgot to mention. That is how I got Molly back they returned her because they moved out of the SAR business and into police work.