Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 09-25-2005, 10:30 AM
Top Dog

A trick that I was taught that may help him is that if your dog happens to be off his leash and wandering towards an area you do not feel is safe for him, is to call his name and run the other way. If he thinks you have found something better than what he may have found, then he will follow you. If you freak out and runs towards him, it is only going to cause him to think it is a game and run from you, especially at a puppy age. Stay calm, and say his name in a high excited voice and run the other way. Maybe take him out and practice it and when he runs toward you, give him a treat when he gets over to you.

Now, I completely agree with him about keeping a dog on a leash, especially at such a young age, but you seem to have quite a bit of land also, so if you can train him and get to the point where there is trust between you, then you may be able to have him off leash when you are with him. It is just that it is so hard to have 100% full trust because there are so many outside factors that tempt dogs, such as other dogs, cats, people, cars, etc. But I do advise you working with him on what I mentioned above and giving him a treat and making a big deal out of when he gets to you, like petting him and telling him how good he is when he comes over to you. But running towards a dog more often will cause him to run from you, so run the opposite way, and it is highly likely he will follow you because he will wonder what you have found. Maybe it will help your son to work on that with him. Let us know how it goes. Good luck!
Old 09-25-2005, 10:39 AM
Big Dog

Thanks Bogolove. I did try that with Suede....it didn't work. He wouldn't even look back except once that is the only reason we went after him. With Gunner we started as soon as we got him but he will never be off a leash because like you said it is hard to have that 100% trust level especially with labs because they love to track. Can't take the chance on that happening again. I've wondered about the invisible fance products. Do you know anything about those?

"Life is not measured by the breaths you take,
But by the moments that take your breath away."
Old 09-25-2005, 11:02 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerzmama
"If I could have grabbed him sooner.. If I could have held on.... If I could have just ran faster.... If I would have gotten home a few minutes earlier.....
You just have to accept the lost, understand you can't go back and grabbed him sooner, or held on, or ran faster. What's done is done, **** happends and you can't go back. Now, I don't mean forget about your loss. I mean to say you care for the dog, and he is in a good place now.

Do you believe in heaven? If you do then he is up there right now, running around and playing.
Old 09-25-2005, 11:17 AM
Top Dog

I do know a lady who has 3 border collies and uses the invisible fence and it works great for them. I also know someone who said their dog was so determined to get out that he ran right through it not caring about the pain. It just depends on the individual dog and how determined they are to get out. Hopefully there are some people on here who have an invisible fence and can let you know about them. The only thing is that they don't stop other animals from coming in to your property and messing with your animals.
Old 09-25-2005, 11:27 AM
Big Dog

We do have a lot of strays and wonderers around here but my girls have their own fenced yard that is bigger than your average "city" yard and I would never have Gunner outside unsupervised. Yeah, I hope somebody will give me their opinions of the invisible fences. Maybe I'll start a thread on it

Old 09-25-2005, 11:30 AM
Top Dog

my friends had a lab that wandered a lot and so they had an invisible fence. it worked for about two weeks then he just started toughing it out and running through.

i live out in the country and i know that a lot of people don't have their dogs on leashes and they're allowed to wander :/

did you talk to the counselor? did he/she give you good adivce? because right now it might just seem like a horrible habit to have. but it could turn out to be worse than you thought if your child tries to help a stray.
Old 09-25-2005, 11:36 AM
Big Dog

I'm going to talk to him tomorrow. Trevor knows about strays and the ones we have around here have been here for years!!!!! My girls (outside dogs) and my moms dogs not only warn me when something is on the property but also run them off. My mom's dogs think my property belongs to them too. They are also very protective of Trevor. Thanks for the info on the invisible fence. I'm going to have to really research it. I wonder if different brands are better than others.

Old 09-25-2005, 11:40 AM
Top Dog

well we found out.. when one of my friends *yeah probably not the smartest in the world* was holding it and crossed it. it does a quick sharp shock. i believe for a while it just scares them. the shock scare keeps them from going further. but after the one shock to him it stopped. so say the dog runs at it and gets accross it. it still gets the shock. but afterward not only is he free from the invisible fence. to go back in would shock him too.
Old 09-25-2005, 11:51 AM
Big Dog

Good point