Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 07-15-2010, 09:59 PM
I'm All Ears

Default My injury part 2- advice?

So I hurt my toe a couple weeks ago. Today I can't even put any weight whatsoever on it. I am limping around, walking only on my heel. It doesn't look that swollen, maybe a tiny amount, but the pain is from the base of my middle toe up to about halfway up my foot. It hurts the worst if I push it up (gently of course).

Any ideas on how to make it easier to walk on? I have to walk a long ways to get to and from school every day.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:05 PM
Top Dog

Did anything happen to make the pain start? Does the pain go away completely when you arent putting any weight on it?

Is it possible that you have a fracture? Or a stress fracture?

If its been 3 weeks & it hasn't gotten any better at all (and is getting worse)...you may need an xray. Happen to have any crutches laying around? I dont really have enough info, but it seems like it is constantly being aggravated. Getting the weight off of it may be the only thing that is going to help.

I would get it looked at ASAP. You're gonna start getting all kinda of other pains from walking all funny!!

Thanks Jessie!

Old 07-15-2010, 10:11 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreeza View Post
Did anything happen to make the pain start? Does the pain go away completely when you arent putting any weight on it?

Is it possible that you have a fracture? Or a stress fracture?

If its been 3 weeks & it hasn't gotten any better at all (and is getting worse)...you may need an xray. Happen to have any crutches laying around? I dont really have enough info, but it seems like it is constantly being aggravated. Getting the weight off of it may be the only thing that is going to help.

I would get it looked at ASAP. You're gonna start getting all kinda of other pains from walking all funny!!
It hurts really badly when I put weight on it. I don't notice much pain when I'm sitting down, but when I try to walk, I can't put any weight on it. So I'm limping around, walking either on my heel only or the side of my foot.

I'm kind of concerned I fractured it. I've tried to stay off of it, but I have to walk a long ways to the bus stop and then from the stop to class and back daily. I haven't run on it again in a while, but I did go on an hour and a half walk with the dogs last night that probably wasn't a good idea.

It started about 2-3 weeks ago and was just an annoyance, really, until a few days ago. It seems to be getting worse as time goes on. Today is the worst day by far. I can't remember when the pain started to be honest. At first it just felt like I REALLY needed to pop my toe, but now it's just a constant sharp pain in my toe/foot.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:14 PM
Top Dog

honestly, you need to get an xray or bone scan. Stress fractures don't show up right away in an xray, but the way you are describing the pain...it sounds like it may just be a fracture. The worsening pain is a big red flag to me...

You really need to see someone like...now though. If it starts healing wrong, it is just going to lead to waaay more complications down the road. You're gonna have to be on crutches most likely...and the sooner you get on them, the better.

Sorry...I know that really sucks...but that is the reality!!! Good luck with it...please keep us updated. Hope it feels better soon.

Thanks Jessie!

Old 07-15-2010, 10:16 PM
Bored Now.

I agree with Dreeza - you need to get it X-rayed. Sounds like a fracture that you're making worse.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:17 PM
*Now with Snark*

I would say go get the X ray. I walked around on a broken ankle for a couple weeks. It's not fun. As far as getting around without putting a ton of weight on it. How about a bike? I hear there are few hills in Oklahoma.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:30 PM
I'm All Ears

Yeah I'm starting to think I probably need to get it checked out. I just thought if it was a fracture, it would be at least pretty swollen.

Just my luck. When I start back up on my exercise routine, I hurt myself.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:35 PM
*Now with Snark*

Actually fractures tend to swell less than sprains. Life is unfair that way. At least though if it is a fracture you can do a little better living through chemistry for awhile while you lug around the sexy foot boot thing.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:38 PM
Top Dog

I broke my big toe once. I never went to the doctor. It was on a weekend, and I called one of those emergency clinics. They said they don't really set a broken toe usually. They did tell me to stabilize it.

I really didn't know how to stabilize it, but that was supposed to help with pain..........so if you can tape your toe to the one next to it, it might help with the pain.

I wish I had gone on to see the doctor. I never did stabilize mine on my own, and I wish I had gone in and let the doctor do it. Mine has healed at a slight angle. It's not bad, but you can definitely tell if you're looking at my feet.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:25 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

DO they do anything for toes now? They didn't use to.
Rest ice compress and elevate

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,