Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 07-14-2010, 10:40 AM
feel the magic

Default Puppy Training Class progress

For Ophie and Luke.

Ok, so Luke's first night was last night.
Last night was Ophie's second night.

All went pretty well, and instead of allowing ALL puppies to play off leash with each other, she split them into groups of 3.

Luke's group consisted of him, Sandy (the boxer puppy), and Zack (Shih-tzu/something mix).
Zack is so small, though, that his owner, I think, opted to have him sit out of puppy playtime because Luke and Sandy are so much bigger than him.
But Luke and Sandy played well together.

Ophie's group consisted of her, Copper (GORGEOUS Rhodesian Ridgeback puppy), and Cooper (golden/lab mix puppy).
Ophie was more interested in the bags of food there at first. And Copper tried to play with Cooper, but Cooper is the youngest in the class, and is very growly (not in a playful way, either), and was more interested in snarking at Copper. Ophie finally joined the pups in playtime and she played well with Copper and with Cooper, but when they were all back on leash, Cooper snarked at Ophie, and that set Ophie off a little. She just simply snarked back.

Luke got frustrated with Copper during class because, we think, he wanted to play and he got snarky with him due to be held back on leash.
But as far as obedience went, Ophie and Luke did pretty well.
Luke has "Watch Me" DOWN, when I can get him to stop looking at the other dogs (that he just so desperately wanted to play with).

We have to work on off leash time in an unknown, safe area (preferably a place the pups have never been that is fenced in), and we're working on "stay" and walking well on leash.

Poor Cooper was apparently taken from his littermates too soon, or so the trainer thinks, because he is snarky and his body language is VERY stiff.
He's only about 10 weeks old or so.
But he's flashing some red flags, and he kept biting the leash, and not in that puppy playful way. It was a "GIMME WHAT I F-ING WANT, OR I WILL KEEEELLLLL U." way.

He's cute as hell, and it's hard not to giggle when he starts acting like an ass in class, but our trainer gave us all strict orders not to react AT ALL to his behavior.

But he's so cute.
But he's going to be a HANDFUL for his owner.
And I felt so bad for his owner because I KNOW how it is to have the oddball puppy in the class.
The dog who doesn't want to behave.

Hell, I owned Ella for HOW long???
Yeah. I was constantly having to apologize to passers-by for her over-the-top behavior at the sight of their dogs.

So, yeah. I felt bad for him.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:28 PM
Top Dog

Odd question, but do you handle BOTH puppies in class? Or does Ben go with you and you each take one? Do you switch?

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 07-14-2010, 12:44 PM
Very Food Agressive

You should take pictures at puppy class! I'm glad Ophie and Luke are doing well How is your ankle?

Practice what you preach or keep your mouth shut.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:44 PM
feel the magic

Ben goes with. And we tend to switch out puppies thoughout class.

I wouldn't have enough hands to hold two leashes, reach into my treat bag, hold a clicker, and treat two puppies at the same time.
But the thought makes me giggle.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:47 PM
feel the magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy's Valkyrie View Post
You should take pictures at puppy class! I'm glad Ophie and Luke are doing well How is your ankle?
Ankle was pretty sore after class last night.
I can walk on it. But I still wear a support for it, and when I walk to puppies, I am good for about a block for each before it starts to bother me.

So, I might be looking to hire a walker.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:47 PM
Very Food Agressive

Me me me me me!!! *wishes she lived in the area*

Old 07-14-2010, 01:07 PM
feel the magic

See, this sucks.
I would SO let you walk them (Separately, of course).
But you don't live near me.

And I don't want to hire a dang stranger to walk them. I have trust issues when it comes to my dogs being walked.
And Ben doesn't really want to pay anyone to walk them, but I simply cannot walk them as much as they need right now until my ankle fully heals.
And it'll be 2 weeks until their walking harnesses arrive, and I can train them to walk on the treadmill (which my trainer doesn't think I should do since they are still puppies).

I was considering asking my niece (she's 19 and strong and she'll do as I say,and she's laid back which is good when walking dogs), but I don't know how much dog walkers get paid.
Do you have any idea what most people pay dog walkers?
Old 07-14-2010, 01:19 PM
Very Food Agressive

I don't know what most people pay dog walkers but when I was considering joining a small team of walkers the pay averaged out to about ten dollars per walk. You could ask Lizmo, I know she does some dog walking/sitting stuff.

Old 07-14-2010, 01:22 PM
feel the magic

Well, I may start a thread here, but I started one over on my pit bull forums because I know there are some dog walkers there.

I need to find out HOW they charge. Do they charge by distance of walk? Length of time of walk? Difficulty of dog to walk? What is included in the service, like, obedience training during walks or anything like that.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:27 PM
Very Food Agressive

Depends on the professionalism/ variety of walker. If you're thinking of using family, I'd see what she was comfortable with as far as OB/difficulty of walking. Though I imagine no one would turn down a chance to walk your lovely pups!