Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 06-16-2010, 03:56 PM
Active Pup

Default Bark/yap control for small dog

Some of you may have seen my other post about my living situation. I've come to an agreement, but my dog is still in the middle.

He's an 8 year old Pomeranian that has always been a yapper. It seemed no matter what training techniques I tried, he wanted to yap/bark. The biggest time he does it is when I leave and I'm not there.

Now, the dilemma is I have less than a week to move to the new place. He's going into a house where only 1 of the 2 households is a dog lover. Any sound of barking will be bad news.

I'm looking into devices that may work. I hate the thought of using a shock collar, and opted to try an ultrasonic device that is set in the room with him...unfortunately, it didn't even phase him. I looked at a 'vibrating' collar that Petco offers, but I really question its ability to work.

So, basically, I have less than a week to try and resolve this issue. What do I do?
Old 06-16-2010, 04:18 PM
Top Dog

Pomeranian bark. A lot. It comes with the breed. They're probably one of, if not THE, noisiest dog breed.

You can train him to stop barking SO much, you can train him to be quiet on command, but you probably can't just make him bark less.

I would not recommend using any kind of shock collar, vibrating collar, or negative reinforcement.

You can search for other threads about teaching the "quiet" command. My best suggestion for getting him to stop when you're not home is to make sure he's getting enough exercise/has enough to do (like kongs, toys, etc.) by himself, so he'll sleep or occupy himself instead of barking for fun, and not entering the house until you hear him be quiet. If he's barking at stuff out a window, block off the window.

This is not really a problem you can solve in a week. It's an issue that's being going on 8 years that you have to break. It's probably going to take a couple of months, or at least a couple of weeks.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 06-16-2010, 04:23 PM
Active Pup

He gets plenty of exercise as I'm located right next to a large field for him to run around in.
As for entertainment toys, he has never, even as a puppy, had much of any interest in toys. He'll grab something when he's hyper and run around with it for a minute, and that's the most use out of a toy he wants.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:38 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Will he bark if you're not home if you, say, leave on the radio or the TV?

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 06-16-2010, 04:48 PM
Top Dog

Did you try a kong? If he likes food (peanut butter, dog food, cheese, frozen yogurt (literally FROZEN yogurt, not the ice creamy thing)) a kong would be a good bet. Or get a toy he can get kibble out of, and only feed him 1/2 his dinner in a bowl and half of it in a toy.

If he's really tired from enough exercise (and mental stimulation..he needs that...teach him some tricks), he SHOULD sleep most of the time when you're gone, especially if he's gated or shut in an area without windows or things to bark at. If he's only barking right when you leave, you'd have to ask a real trainer's advice.

If he's barking the ENTIRE time you're gone (like for hours straight), and you're positive he's getting enough physical exercise and mental stimulation (poms need A LOT, more than many other dogs there size. They are high energy little dogs) that's probably separation anxiety or another issue.

Old 06-16-2010, 05:28 PM
Active Pup

He doesn't bark nonstop when I'm not there, but if he knows someone else is in the house, he will bark.

Unfortunately, where I plan to go, there will be a pretty strict no-bark policy. If it happens, then I may be SOL. I'm kind of at wits end.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:00 PM
Top Dog

Okay, I'm kind of confused about this situation.

It's a two-household house where you're going. Are both households living together in one house, or is it separated? Will he be locked away from the other people in the house while you're not there?

Old 06-16-2010, 06:11 PM
Top Dog

In your other post you said you are presently renting a room, but you are not happy there. You want to go home (your parents house I assume), but your dog is not welcome, even though your dog loves your mom.

Have your tried using a crate? A wire crate that is big enough for six little poms, with a water bowl, kongs and pillow/bed. Cover the crate on top and 3 sides with a heavy bath towel. In this confinement she may not feel the need to guard bark. The towel will also help to muffle the sound.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:35 PM
Active Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
Okay, I'm kind of confused about this situation.

It's a two-household house where you're going. Are both households living together in one house, or is it separated? Will he be locked away from the other people in the house while you're not there?
It's a regular house. Ideally he would be in my room, but they're wanting him to stay gated off in the kitchen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maura View Post
In your other post you said you are presently renting a room, but you are not happy there. You want to go home (your parents house I assume), but your dog is not welcome, even though your dog loves your mom.

Have your tried using a crate? A wire crate that is big enough for six little poms, with a water bowl, kongs and pillow/bed. Cover the crate on top and 3 sides with a heavy bath towel. In this confinement she may not feel the need to guard bark. The towel will also help to muffle the sound.
Correct.

I do have a crate for him. From the couple of times I've used it with him, it actually seemed to make the yapping worse.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:52 AM
Top Dog

A couple of times isn't enough to train him to the crate. Train him to the crate by feeding him in it with the door open, dropping little treats in it, let him find a favorite toy in it. Good things happen in the crate. It needs to be big enough to put in a little bed, basket, pillow or towel for a comfortable nap. You aren't using it for housebreaking, so it needn't be small. Never never ever ever let him out when he is fussing- you are training the dog, the dog is not training you.