Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 07-11-2010, 10:03 PM
Active Pup

No, not a new problem, and he doesn't exhibit and discomfort in the kennel. He also sees the vet regularly, so I don't think it is medical.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:10 PM
Active Pup

Wow great video. So nice to see something work and how it works. That is one of my problems. I know that I am the one that has to learn what to do. So, I have no idea how long it should take when done right or what done right really. Makes it hard to know if I should just keep going or what. Great link.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:13 PM
Top Dog

Yes, Kikopup's videos are awesome ^.^ There's all sorts of things in there - when I need help with a particular behavior, that's the first place I go.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:15 PM
Active Pup

One more question... I like the clicker thing, but that would drive my husband absolutely crazy. He can't deal with lots of little sounds. (this post makes him sound absolutely nuts, but he isn't any more crazy than I am - not that I am coming off any better!). Anyway, what would you recommend in place of a clicker. Are there any alternatives?
Old 07-11-2010, 10:20 PM
Active Pup

Default Now that I have a bit more time...

Thanks so much for all of the replies. My mom was so great with dogs, and I keep wishing she were still around to help me. Having each of you give such great, detailed advice is just wonderful. Thanks.

So, it seems as though everything thinks that this isn't just wishful thinking on my part. The dogs do seem trainable from all that you have said. If I am doing it right, do you have any info on what timetable I am looking at - or more precisely how do I know if it is getting better. Is this like a year long process or should I expect faster results (or change methods). In the past, I think I have been poorly executing training methods for a while expecting it would take a long time. From the video, it looks like I should expect the dogs to learn a bit faster if I am training them properly (key phrase).

Once again, I can't thank you all enough for your patience and kindness. I am so embarrassed to have been unable to train them to date and am just so happy to have found this group. I feel better already.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:04 PM
Top Dog

You can use a word cue instead of a click. It would have to be a word you don't normally use in front of the dogs, but a lot of people use "yes" or "good." You say that word at the moment when you would click, then treat after you say it.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 07-12-2010, 01:13 AM
Top Dog

"yes" "good" a tongue click, a short whistle - any marker will work
Old 07-12-2010, 02:08 AM
Top Dog

Depending on how the training is done, most behaviors can be modified or new ones learned in about 2 weeks or so.

Remember, the clicker isn't going to be used indefinitely. (your husband can rest assured) It's only used in the beginning stages of teaching a new behavior. Once the dog is doing the behavior regularly, has been reinforced enough times that he's onto it, you won't need the clicker anymore for that particular behavior. Some people use a ball point pen...the little clicky thing on the end. Or a word, but since we use words all the time with our dogs and they're use to hearing words and because some words take longer to get out, it has been shown in studies that a sound, such as a clicker makes, registers in a different part of the brain than words do and seems to go more directly to where it needs to go to get processed. In other words, a clicker or some very distinctive sound is more effective than words. But they still work pretty well.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 07-12-2010, 11:10 PM
Active Pup

Today went better. They were tethered to me all day, but now they have started barking at absolutely everything. Any ideas why?
Old 07-13-2010, 09:40 PM
Top Dog

Change is stressful. They may be reacting to the new situation of being attached to you. They may feel more vulnerable because they don't have freedom. Just have them sit at the first bark, say thank you and give a little pet. Then go about your business. The sit (or better is a down) will act as a distraction if they aren't really worked up.