Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 01-21-2011, 12:12 PM
Active Pup

I have the same problem... my shih tzu is still 2 months old... i have no idea how to potty train him... better start reading then... lol
Old 01-24-2011, 10:40 AM
Owned by Rottweilers

I haven't gone and read the links but I have decided to give my 2cents.
My dogs are not crate trained. I don't even own a crate, the reason for this is because I knew none the better and I am not worse of because of it either. My dogs have lived inside the house since I got them and were allowed to roam free. My dogs are house trained. Bella learnt not to number 2 in the house in 4 days but Leo took a little longer (I'm not sure if this is because I got him at an older age than Bella and he had been allowed to pee and poo inside the house I got him from and the owner would just pick it up without correction). The method I used was simple. I was home all the time and puppies are usually lazy so they sleep most of the day (well at least this is true for Rottie pups, I can't speak for all breeds or even a single breed in that case just my dogs) usually I will go and sit in the same area as where the pup has fallen asleep, or because the pup likes human attention, he/she usually came and slept near me. As soon as the puppy woke up I would pick him/her up and take them outside in the area I want them to always go to the toilet. I would wait outside until SOMETHING was done, whether it was number 1 or 2. As soon as they started going I would say "toilet" and praise when they are done. In other instances I would take the pup out right after they stopped playing, right after they finished eating, right after they drank something, basically after every activity. It's now come to the stage where if I am outside and I tell Bella "toilet" she will immediately do her business. I however don't use this command unless we are travelling a far distance as she has now learnt to go toilet outside in her own time, and so has Leo however he doesn't toilet on command, yet.

ETA: When there was an accident in the house, which there was when I was incredibly tired and couldn't wake up every 2 hours I would neutralize the smell with a mixture of vinegar, water and bicarbonate soda. It ALWAYS worked like a charm

Disclaimer: Current avatar was found on Google, I don't own the image
Old 05-19-2011, 11:15 PM
Owned by Fidget

Use OUT! enzyme spray for urine. It works great. Don't lose hope!!! You have to have patience. I almost lost my mind trying to housetrain Fidget. They will be more trustworthy around 6 or 7 months but cannot be fully trusted IMO until they are over a year old.