Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 07-05-2010, 12:34 AM
Active Pup

Question Is there any doggie DNA test that you would recommend?

I have a 3 yr old hound mix (see pics at link). I am just curious what mix he is.

Does anyone know of a reputable company that traces a dogs mix or background breeds? I have read mixed reviews about doggie DNA testing, and there are so many out there that I would like some advice from anyone who has tried this before.
What was your experience? Were you happy with the results?

It'd be nice to know...everyone including vets have a different opinion..... from beagle to vizsla to coon hound, to ridgeback (though he has no ridge).

Photos:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...50177134945725
Old 07-05-2010, 04:01 AM
Original Twin

In a word? No. There is a member here who DNA tested one of her dogs and he came back as "mostly Maltese". He is a very large dog that doesn't have any Maltese in him. There is also a video on Youtube of a person who had thier dog DNAd and he came back as mostly Border Collie. In reality, he is a champion American Staffordshire Terrier.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:32 AM
Top Dog

I've read these reviews, and I've seen some crazy results- but I've also seen then come back accurately. I can't remember which one came back seemingly accurate twice for people i know-- but it was purchased at Petsmart, it was the one that was about $70.

Fleetwood Mes Yeux Vigilant CGCA RE TDCH TDI and Shed Antler Dog!
Old 07-05-2010, 09:59 AM
Top Dog

I know that people on here don't like them, but I find them extremely entertaining. For $100, I really felt like I got enough amusement out of it to justify it, even if it's incorrect. (Though Lucy's results are similar enough to what I was expecting that I believe them).

I used Canine Heritage XL Breed Test - Canine DNA Test Kits - Dog-DNA.com

Lucyfur CA O-NAC O-NCC S-NJC O-TNO S-TGN S-WVN HPN SG
Old 07-05-2010, 10:29 AM
Just try me..

No. Unless you are using it for strictly amusement value they aren't worth it. They are not accurate because there is no way for them to be accurate. You might get lucky and get decent results, or you might not. Having exp dog people guess is free and just as reliable.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:55 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillside View Post
In a word? No. There is a member here who DNA tested one of her dogs and he came back as "mostly Maltese". He is a very large dog that doesn't have any Maltese in him. There is also a video on Youtube of a person who had thier dog DNAd and he came back as mostly Border Collie. In reality, he is a champion American Staffordshire Terrier.
Yep, that would be my maltese. lol

Honestly, we weren't doing the test for accuracy, so please do not bank on that AT ALL. But it was very comical and worth the $50 we spent- we even had them do it twice because I told them their test were unreliable. Hilarious. lol

Old 07-05-2010, 01:19 PM
Collies&Terriers, Oh My!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoHound View Post

It'd be nice to know...everyone including vets have a different opinion..... from beagle to vizsla to coon hound, to ridgeback (though he has no ridge).

Photos:
Login | Facebook
I don't know anything about DNA testing, but just had to toss out there that RRs can be born without a ridge, so a mix of one could easily NOT have a ridge. Cute dog ... he looks Beagle-y to me.

~Smooth Collies~

URO1 CH "Smidgen" RA,WW-RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)
URO2 CH "Dora" RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)

~American Hairless Terriers (coated)~
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "OE" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "Spud" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
Old 07-06-2010, 11:56 PM
Active Pup

Thanks everyone, this is helpful. I may try it out for the amusement value too - but good info to set my expectations.