Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-22-2010, 03:06 PM
Sport Model Pug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
I think in some breeds where there is a personality difference between the sexes
Pugs have a major divide.

Boy pugs are cuddly and want to be less than an inch from you at all times and just happy to do whatever. Just lovable happy "durr" dogs.

Girl pugs... Well tell them something they don't want to do and they give you a great big "eff you" and go do something else. Girls honestly try to scheme to take over the world, pushing the envelope, they live to do whatever the hell they want lol

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 06-22-2010, 03:07 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

LOL CP - I sort of would expect a female corgi to be better because of that sort of bitchy attitude, but you're right, that does come along with "Yeah, I don't feel like doing what you want." LMAO. Perhaps that's WHY most of the corgis I know doing agility are male... though I do know of one particularly awesome female corgi (and she's REALLY CUTE too!)

I like my dogs with edge and there's definitely no lack of that in Auggie, or in most of his relatives. Yes, this does mean that Auggie has basically told me to *#&( off on the agility course before, and oh BOY I don't think it's very fun in that moment! In fact I sort of want to kill him. But on the whole I appreciate that personality. Matches with mine. ;>
His grandma has that sort of edge too, though, so I don't think it's related to sex at all... just the kinds of dogs they are.

ETA: Auggie IS a total sweetheart though, and the biggest flirt I have ever known. He had all the vet techs swooning over him when we were there last week. Just somehow he got the right mix of personality to be as big of a brat as he is a sweetheart...

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 06-22-2010, 03:11 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgipower View Post

Ahhhh...brings back some memories.
He has potential.
Somewhere.
Really.
I saw it.
For a moment.
The moment must have occurred right before you made this thread:
http://www.chazhound.com/forums/t112616/

It's true though, he really has no interest in working for me, and not even in the "you have to build drive and give him the right rewards, etc." type of way, he's really just content to live a run of the mill dog life. Eat well, go for walks, learn a few fun tricks...

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
2 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Old 06-22-2010, 03:44 PM
Top Dog

I prefer girls, but I think that's just because they're mostly all I've had and I'm used to them. I've mostly had girls throughout my life, and I've never found them to be too difficult to train. They like to work a little more independently, but they also like me to be happy... and I really like that combination. They like to think for themselves and figure things out on their own, but they're also very willing to take what I give them and do things to please me. Dance especially is one of my easiest dogs ever -- she excels in almost everything that I've done with her, and if I were a better handler/trainer, she could go even further. That said, Keira can sometimes be a little too independent and and not care what we think at all... but she's the only girl I've ever had like that, and even she isn't too difficult to motivate. I think it's mostly just an individual dog thing often times. Ripley can be the same way as Keira these days, but I'm not really including him in my experience at the moment because he has a lot of growing up to do and is not a good example at the moment.

Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Ripley
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Fennec - Tollwest Sugar Fox
[temporary puppy]
Old 06-22-2010, 03:49 PM
I'm All Ears

Nard is a male that doesn't give a **** what you want him to do. He's just so nonchalant about it too. Not openly defiant like the girls but just kind of 'ho, hum, I'm not listening to you.' He is very easy going and sweet though too. Summer and Mia are far from easy going and I love that about them.

I do want to steal Nard a lot of the time. He's just so sweet.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:04 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Quote:
Nard is a male that doesn't give a **** what you want him to do. He's just so nonchalant about it too. Not openly defiant like the girls but just kind of 'ho, hum, I'm not listening to you.' He is very easy going and sweet though too.
EXACTLY!
Replace the name and that is *so* Frodo.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
2 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Old 06-22-2010, 06:31 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgipower View Post
My girls have a lot of their own ideas on how to do things. My boys, while able to think for themselves, are more team players.
I definately agree with this (and with the others who said generally the same thing). IME boys make better service dogs (they just sit around and wait for their partner to ask for something) and girls make better hearing/guide dogs (who have to make judgements and decisions for themselves on the fly, then boss the partner around until they get a clue). Not that you can't train the other gender to do the job, and not that they couldn't be good at it.

As far as sports and performance, I think it depends much more on what you prefer in a dog and would prefer training with. A trial only lasts a weekend; and class is only an hour or two a week; so you have to have a dog that you're happy to live with and train at home.

That said, I could see where boys might be slightly better at obedience/agility and other similar activities that require the dog to be very intuned with the handler, and willing to do what the handler asks. Girls might be slightly better at tracking/S&R/flyball and other activities that require them to think independently and make decisions on their own. But I do think the differences here are so miniscule it's probably mostly theoretical anyway.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:35 PM
Show Dog

I don't have a preference on sex - to me the temperament of the individual dog is far more important. Having said that my competition dog is a bitch but she is relatively drivey, and when i found a way to harness her natural energy she became very keen to work and learn.

When it comes to getting a puppy I look at the whole litter and will want the pup who ticks all my boxes and shows the most potential regardless of if it's male or female. I've seen very good dogs and very good bitches - makes no difference to me
Old 06-22-2010, 08:04 PM
overdogged

i think it depends more on what you prefer and what gender you mesh with better.

it's hard for me to make generalizations about performance and gender. in my own little world, luce is definitely the better performance dog out of her and shroomers. she's much smarter. she's got far more drive. she's also a TON more naughty. she has her own opinion on many things. those opinions frequently differ from mine.

mushroom is dorky and extremely eager to please (please results in cookies). he's falling all over himself trying to please. which i kind of find annoying, to be honest. i *hugely* prefer luce to mushroom in the working department. i don't know if what i see in my own two dogs extends to dogs in the rest of the world though.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 06-22-2010, 11:29 PM
*Now with Snark*

It really depends on what your goals are and what your sport of choice is. Personally I prefer the boys for serious performance, you don't have heat cycles to contend with and I find they tend to be a little more consistent than my ladies who tend to be a little more fickle on if they're feeling up to the job today.

For me however my goals include breeding so while I personally if I had one or two would have an all male team the reality is you need high quality bitches to build your kennel upon.