Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-22-2010, 12:12 PM
<------RIP Superdog

Default Males or females better performance dogs?

I know it sounds like a stupid, uneducated question. I know there are great ones for both sexes, and it totally depends on the individual animal. Any thoughts or observations though?

Im in the market to get a new puppy (once my dogs injury heals). I origionally wanted a female for a couple reasons. I have never owned a female dog though. I do love my males, and really think im a male animal owner (but cant really be sure yet). Now i cant decide what sex to get. I want to do agility, obedience and tracking with the future dog. I will be looking for a dog with good drive. My boy loves to work with me, and he is a fabulous tracking dog. He is not an agility or obedience dog though. We have tried them, but they arent his thing.

I just have it in my head that a female will be quicker and more compact to do the sports. I know and love the boys temperaments though. My dog doesnt have any issues with other boys, so that is not a problem. Any input would be great! I will probably be telling the breeder what temperament i want and that sex doesnt matter. I just cant make up my mind though!
Old 06-22-2010, 12:20 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

I very much prefer the boys. My girls have a lot of their own ideas on how to do things. My boys, while able to think for themselves, are more team players.

But it is a matter of opinion.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 06-22-2010, 12:25 PM
Resident fainting goat

In my obedience class and my last agility class, it was really a boys club lol
the girls had their own ideas on how/when to do things..

Ive had both female dogs and males and I think Romeo is much easier. I guess most males are more..clingy? so it makes them more willing to follow/play for sports

It depends on the breed really.. but Ive only seen a couple of breeds where males are that much bulkier than females and slower.

Ive noticed the girls in the class, with the right attitude, are amazing. we had a female border collie in our agility class that was unstoppable. She was smart, and super focused when it came to sports.

and we had one that did not GET why she couldn't just take the fastest route to the finish instead of doing all these BS obstacles lol she really hated turning around to do an obstacle that was behind her lol
Old 06-22-2010, 12:44 PM
Top Dog

Do you think it's even possible to make a statement that broad? In thinking about my agility classes, and the top dogs have been pretty easily split between male and female.

Lucyfur CA O-NAC O-NCC S-NJC O-TNO S-TGN S-WVN HPN SG
Old 06-22-2010, 12:46 PM
I'm All Ears

I strongly prefer female dogs but I'm not sure they're better at sports. I just love the tude they have that none of my male dogs have had. I love my boys but they're just so much simpler.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:49 PM
Resident fainting goat

I just looked up my pics from my old agility class and figured out why it seemed like a boys club lol there were only 3 females in the class!

I think it depends on attitude and how much they like the sport..drive and such.

though someone once mentioned to me in a class that girls are more focused and less easily distracted. not sure how true it is lol although romeo has ADD
Old 06-22-2010, 12:50 PM
Let it be

A horse trainer I have high respect for said gender means nothing but every now and again there is that one evil spirited animal that fights you tooh and nail, it's quite the struggle but they always give you more in the end. That may be a blanket statement as well but I hold onto the hope of that when I get an animal that is proving to be a pain in the butt.

As for myself I have no gender preference in humans, horses, dogs or any other species. It's all about the drive of the individual.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:55 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fransheska101 View Post
though someone once mentioned to me in a class that girls are more focused and less easily distracted. not sure how true it is lol although romeo has ADD
With my dogs, the boys have always been much more focused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige View Post
every now and again there is that one evil spirited animal that fights you tooh and nail, it's quite the struggle but they always give you more in the end. That may be a blanket statement as well but I hold onto the hope of that when I get an animal that is proving to be a pain in the butt.
There might be something to that... Although sometimes the bad outweighs the great...Had to rehome a horse like that. When he got it together, he was downright brilliant. But he had more fight in him than was worth the brilliance.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 06-22-2010, 01:00 PM
Let it be

That's my horse Cougar. He is totally brilliant... when he wants to be. He's a really happy, easy going, well behaved horse on the ground but no doubt about it he is a demon to ride. People from all walks of life and different riding styles, of all different abilities have told me the same thing.

"Paige, that's quite the horse. He's really talented, but I hate him."

Him and I are a tight pair. By no means at my level should I be able to get more out of him than the mentors I have had but he really comes to life and softens when we work together. But that took YEARS to get him to have that level of respect for me. He's a pain in the arse and is stuck with my family for life because he has made it clear he is not going anywhere else.

From my experience boys are more diva-ish than the ladies. But I also like the butchy gals.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:07 PM
Sport Model Pug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
I strongly prefer female dogs but I'm not sure they're better at sports. I just love the tude they have that none of my male dogs have had. I love my boys but they're just so much simpler.
I prefer females too. Even though it frustrates me sometimes, i just LOVE Izzie's 'tude. She's a super think for herselfer.

But i've seen both male and female dogs excel at sports, so it's really more about temperament.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug