Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 06-22-2010, 05:24 PM
Resident fainting goat

Well, hes certainly not scared to pee lol he does it, A LOT when we are outside.. like on every tree/bush. typical boy lol
He doesn't mark inside at all now..

the first time after we honked.when he peed outside he was a little hesitant to go, but he did and I guess thats when it clicked in his head that the sound only happens when he pees IN THE HOUSE
Old 06-23-2010, 02:04 AM
Tru evil has no pantyline

Well, for one, neutering my foundation stud is NOT an option.
I think I may just try what you suggested Fran. Sounds good. Travis is motivated by terror! LOL!

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/
Old 06-23-2010, 07:14 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppydog View Post
Well, for one, neutering my foundation stud is NOT an option.
I think I may just try what you suggested Fran. Sounds good. Travis is motivated by terror! LOL!
What about the other three suggestions?
Old 06-24-2010, 04:10 AM
and Fozzie B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzybeth727 View Post
Because using aversives to temporarily extinguish behaviors yeilds much faster results than setting up reliable habits that last for life...

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 06-24-2010, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Because, if you actually read what I say, I have tried it ALL. I have tried an aversion spray produced here, I have tried a hormone spray produced here, I have tried leashing him to me, crating, belly banding, rewarding for outside etc etc.

I will not use and airhorn but I WILL clap my hands, make a noise and generally discourage him.

For those who think that they know my dog, please take him for three months and tell me your answers. Travis is a very odd dog, he is just not switched on like my other two. He doesn't learn unless you are very in his face about it. I am NEVER cruel to him, he gets loads of love and encouragement when he needs it, TONS of praise when he does something right but let me tell you, ignore bad behaviour with him, it is like a gold invitation to carry on.

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:28 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppydog View Post
Because, if you actually read what I say, I have tried it ALL.
I did read what you said. You said that you haven't tried a DAP spray because you can't buy them in the stores around you. You said that you've leashed him to you for "days" at a time, which is why I suggested to do it for one to two months. I (and someone else) also suggested to restrict his water; a suggestion which was ignored.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:20 AM

Quote:
I did read what you said. You said that you haven't tried a DAP spray because you can't buy them in the stores around you. You said that you've leashed him to you for "days" at a time, which is why I suggested to do it for one to two months. I (and someone else) also suggested to restrict his water; a suggestion which was ignored.
I have not tried DAP but one called foetsak, which is produced locally. Didn't work.
I cannot restrict water in my household because Lilly is on Lasix, a diuretic, so that would quite possibly result in serious kidney damage in her. Travis is not a big water drinker anyway, so that shouldn't make too much difference and to be honest, I would rather clean up pee then endanger Lilly.

We are sticking with belly banding. It does stress him but with everything going on now with our move and his routine being so affected, it will have to do for now.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:12 AM
Resident fainting goat

Well my mom has also been cleaning the "old" marking spots with a combo of natures miracle and clorox wipes
I think its a combo of the natures miracle gets rid of the pee smell that they come back to. and the clorox makes it like "omg that reeks! im not sniffing here!"

I agree that if your dog is fearful by nature, of course scaring the bejeesus out of them is a BAD idea.. probably will make them paranoid.

Romeo is a tough fearless little dog. We did use ALL the methods suggested (leashing him to me, etc...) and they did work great as long as somebody is around

in other words, he knows marking is a nono.. but for some reason, he thinks that if nobody is around he can sneak and do it.
the "OMGWTFWASTHAT?!" method worked because it just made him realize that even though he can't see us.. we somehow know hes doing it! lol

He would stop what he was about to do and run and then he was FINE. then we would take him outside and praise him for peeing OUTSIDE

If it had honestly scared him, as in, go hide under a desk or bed and freak out.. of course it wouldn't be a method we would use. It literally took him a second to recover, very similar to jumping out from behind a corner and yelling "BOO!" at one your friends..

the shock factor was just there to spook him for a second, enough for him to STOP what he was about to do/started doing. just long enough for us to redirect him to a good place to pee and praise him

we would've used clapping.. but in this house. clapping is used all the time.. my mom claps to call me over, my dad claps when hes telling a story, people clap ALL THE TIME lol its a haitian thing.. using your hands all over the place when speaking

in a house full of loud people and loud noises that the dogs are used to.. we needed something that would actually make him go. "WHAT WAS THAT?!" ..hence the blow horn.
and of course common sense was used.. we used it from AFAR. obviously we are not blowing the thing in the dogs ear.. the whole point is that its loud enough to make a point without us being in the room/close