Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 06-21-2010, 08:01 AM
Tru evil has no pantyline

Default Stealth Marking

Travis KNOWS he is not allowed to mark inside, he gets praise and loved up when he marks outside and told no when he marks inside (if I can catch him that is). I know he knows he is not meant to because he came strolling into the kitchen, didn't know I was there, and started to lift his leg. He spotted me and did this whole casual, "oh I was just putting my leg like that and now I am walking on" thing.

I have him in a belly band when I can't keep my eyes on him all the time. The belly band stresses him out and to be honest, me too. I hate having it on him because they have access to outside all the time and I feel it is counter productive to have it on when he can go outside and pee.

What can I do other then what I am doing?

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/
Old 06-21-2010, 08:12 AM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

Keep him leashed to you when he's in the house so he doesn't get a chance to mark. Crate him if needed.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MericoX View Post
Keep him leashed to you when he's in the house so he doesn't get a chance to mark. Crate him if needed.
Done. He won't mark when I am around. I crate him if I am not there and belly band him if I can't watch him. I have literally leashed him to me for days without a marking incident, take him outside and praise when he marks out there. The little hellion KNOWS he is not to mark inside, but he does it when no one is looking.

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:14 AM
Chihuahua Power!

I always have to pick up the food bowls right away at our house. Tucker will lift his leg and FILL THE BOWLS WITH PEE.

Other than that he's good about not marking inside, but yeah, I have to keep a pretty good eye on him.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 06-21-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Jessie~ View Post
I always have to pick up the food bowls right away at our house. Tucker will lift his leg and FILL THE BOWLS WITH PEE.

Other than that he's good about not marking inside, but yeah, I have to keep a pretty good eye on him.
It must be a little guy thing. I am in the same boat with bowls. I have only just broken him of the peeing on the water bowl thing.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:24 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppydog View Post
The little hellion KNOWS he is not to mark inside, but he does it when no one is looking.
If he KNEW not to mark inside, then he wouldn't do it.

What he knows is not to mark inside when you're around.

The best thing to do in this case is to use management to make sure that he doesn't get a chance to mark in the house, ever. Just like potty training a puppy, never let him out of sight in the house unless he's in the crate. You will have to keep at it until he's forgotten about that habit; it will take weeks, if not longer.

I'd suggest keeping with you at all times for a month. Then you can start leaving him alone for short periods - too short for him to physically stop what he's doing and lift his leg, just a few seconds - and gradually increase the time that you leave him unsupervised. But if you leave him unsupervised too early in this training plan, he will only learn to be even more careful about marking.

You could also try a DAP pheromone spray, these are supposed to have a calming effect on dogs and do sometimes help stop the marking.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:30 AM

I am currently doing that. He has not had the opportunity to mark unless I take him outside. It is all good and well but I know that if I leave him alone for too long he will mark.
I have a strong suspicion that he will only stop when he gets the snip.
I would try DAP, but we don't get it here.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:28 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

Are you sure he's not part american cocker? Smudge came to me at 14 weeks knowing that grass was to pee on. He sadly had a uti and it was a pain but he potty trained easily. Around a year he tried to mark inside had a meeting with jesus and stopped. Around 2 he started to sneak pee.

Started in the front hall on the wheel of my mom's buggy she takes shopping. Would do it quickly even if I was coming with him from upstairs to down but would be so fast I wouldn't see him. Started confining him in the area he wanted to pee.. he stopped. Started sneak peeing in the kitchen. He's almost always with me. He'd sneak off pee, run back. Turf him outside, he'd pee a fairly full amount outside.

Tried being proactive, take him out tell him to pee so there was nothing to pee inside. He'd manage a tiny dribble now and then anyhow.

I bellybanded. He'd pee on himself and not care. I crated more and more. Make sure he couldn't oops inside. We'd have pee free weeks and weeks. Then he'd sneak pee once a week again.

Since I gave up on the loser conformation folk here I decided at 3 to snip him. I was torn, but I did it. I knew it might not help. He hasn't oopsed in my house since. He's oopsed at Dekka's house once or twice since. I caught him the last time.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 06-22-2010, 01:35 PM
Resident fainting goat

lol I had the SAME problem with romeo for a little bit

he was PERFECT when I was around..never marked anything

so I had to go a little crazy and sit on top of a counter where he couldnt see me and just wait.. (with a blowhorn) he would lift and I would HONNNKKK and scare the bejeesus out of him
me and my fam played this game (hiding behind doors, outside looking into windows etc..) for DAYS
and now he doesn't mark anymore lol we probably made him a bit paranoid tho

We also had to limit water (that HELPED A LOT) we used to just leave this huge water thing for the dogs out all day.
now I put a lil bit of water in the bowl, FREEZE IT and leave it out so he has to slowly but surely drink instead of slurping it up and peeing everywhere. little doggy bladders are tiny.
less water= less pee.

he has soon learned that he gets to drink in the morning with breakfast (before his walk) and at night before his other walk
when I leave for the day, he gets a bit of ice.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:14 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fransheska101 View Post
so I had to go a little crazy and sit on top of a counter where he couldnt see me and just wait.. (with a blowhorn) he would lift and I would HONNNKKK and scare the bejeesus out of him
I've seen dogs become scared of peeing at all after using a similar method to this. I'd only do it as an absolute last resort.... order the DAP online, limit his water, supervise constantly for 1-2 months, neuter him if that's an option for you.