Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-20-2010, 09:48 PM
Bloody but Unbowed

I have one spayed female, and one unneutered four year old male. Furthermore he is unneutered in direct violation of his rescue contract. And that is the way it is.

Thanks Baxter'smybaby. You're the Best.
Bless All the Abandoned Animals, Left to Die Alone, Abandoned, Frightened, and Confused
Old 06-20-2010, 09:55 PM
~Lisa~

Im pro choice so to say. I dont think the average joe schmo pet owner should have a intact dog. But for some one who can control, look after becarful with a intact dog. I see no reason not to keep them the way you want. Blaze is unaltered, he is a normal happy go lucky 7 year old dog with out a care int he world. healthy as he can be. No ounce of agression with him, never a issue with marking, dominance, territory issues with other dogs. he welcomes all dogs to be his next BFF lol
Old 06-20-2010, 10:18 PM
Big Dog

I work in a shelter, have for years - I've seen it all. And for that reason - I AM pro-speuter. Although, I have NO problem with someone responsibly keeping an intact pet. However - I see no reason if the pet is not of breeding quality, and there is no medical reason why it shouldn't be done - why it just wouldn't simply be done.
My males were neutered at 10 months, and 6 years (when I got them from their rescue groups) Neither marks, or humps (often...sometimes, Casey just can't help himself around fluffy, white dogs...)
Old 06-20-2010, 10:32 PM
Navy Sister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
I must be in the minority because pediatric spay/neuter doesn't bother me.
I must be in the minority too.
knows that we know, and holds us responsible to act.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:33 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
However - I see no reason if the pet is not of breeding quality, and there is no medical reason why it shouldn't be done - why it just wouldn't simply be done.
*raises hand* For showing - dogs have to be intact for conformation. Logan's not being kept intact to breed, he's being kept intact to show.
Old 06-20-2010, 11:18 PM
Let it be

Like everyone else I am pro responsible pet ownership. I neutered my dog at two and a half. Not because he was a bother but because it made it easier to rent around here. I could've easily lived with him for the rest of his life having him intact but it also wasn't a huge thought to just send him in to get snipped either.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:12 AM
Just try me..

Quote:
However - I see no reason if the pet is not of breeding quality, and there is no medical reason why it shouldn't be done - why it just wouldn't simply be done.
If the owner is responsible and the dog is a non issue why lop off parts of your dog? If the coming into heat, or marking is a problem and you wish to fix great. If your dog is a non issue and the owner responsible what is the big deal?

Kaiden will be 6 this year. He hasn't sired a litter in years. I have no plans on using him again. But he doesn't mark, has never humped (outside of covering a bitch) has no aggression issues and is very easy to live with. Why would I put him under and remove his testicles? Sport on the other had was fixed very quickly (would have liked to let him mature and then fix) as he was Sprinkly McSprinklepants.....
Old 06-21-2010, 12:43 AM
orange iguanas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
I must be in the minority because pediatric spay/neuter doesn't bother me. I understand why rescues and some breeders do it and it is the ONLY way to know 100% that those dogs won't be bred. Would I do it? No, but I don't necessarily think it's wrong either.
Both of mine were spayed at 6 months. I want it to be done before they ever go into heat. I'd like to think I would wait longer if I had a male, but I would want it done before humping/marking became an issue. I can't stand when dogs feel they need to hump everything in sight and pee every 2 feet they walk. But I've never owned a male dog so maybe I've just met weird ones.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 06-21-2010, 12:50 AM
I'd rather be at Disney

for my own dogs... YES s/n absolutely. it's not something I wish to deal with.

for other's dogs... you do what you want and what you think is OK.

I am NOT at all for forcing people to spay or neuter EVER. No matter how irresponsible or silly people may be I will not ever force them to do this EVER.

although I am in a camp by myself because I am not outraged at most breeding practices. There are only two dogs we will EVER seek out a breeder for. A hunting lab and a Dane (an the dane still could come from a shelter) all others will come from elsewhere. "elsewhere" is to be determined.

I have no desire to breed so my dogs will be all be neutered or spayed but I won't push my view on others in this instance

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 06-21-2010, 01:04 AM
Top Dog

Humping and peeing can be prevented without neutering. It can also be stopped without neutering if the dog already developed those behaviors. It's just a matter of training like anything else. Logan marks. We're working on it, and he's getting much better. He wasn't a terrible marker to begin with, but it still has improved a lot in the time we've been working on it, and it will eventually stop completely. He doesn't hump either...well, he does hump Gavroche, but it's not just for the hell of it. Gavroche humps Logan too, and Gavroche is neutered