Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-20-2010, 01:44 PM
Top Dog

I think everyone has to decide for themselves what is right. I don't condone early speutering though.
Old 06-20-2010, 02:10 PM
Top Dog

I had Lola spayed for a few reasons. No heat cycles making her bitchy, no picking up red spots from the floor and her chances of getting mammary cancer are almost non existent. If your not showing your dog and don't plan to breed responsibly then I think it should be done but that is my opinion and people will have other opinions.

Can someone please kill this flea before it jumps on Lola
Old 06-20-2010, 02:24 PM
Very Food Agressive

Pro. I do think there may be exceptions such as dogs who would do poorly under anesthesia but again, for the vast majority of the average dog owning public, it will keep the oops litters down.

Practice what you preach or keep your mouth shut.
Old 06-20-2010, 02:25 PM
Top Dog

I personally wouldn't deal with intact animals either, but I wish I knew better at the time and had waited until they were 2... not that I had the choice with Tips anyway.

Otherwise I'm pro, just because there are just too many oops litters, and you really can't trust the average person to do the right thing in most circumstances.
Old 06-20-2010, 02:36 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

I'm neither.

I am pro responsible ownership, and if that means an individual needs to speuter to prevent accidental breeding or to make management easier, so be it.

There are long term health and behavioral issues associated with early spay/neuter, so I tend to not be a fan of speutering puppies, but it's still better than having all sorts of oops litter due to people unable to manage intact animals.

S/N doesn't make someone responsible. It simply makes their dogs unable to reproduce.

For my own dogs, I'm not a fan of putting them through surgery, removing internal organs and altering bodily functions.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 06-20-2010, 02:44 PM
Top Dog

I am pro-spay/neuter. The average pet owner out there just isn't capable of caring for an intact dog of either sex responsibly and properly, therefore, I feel it's in the best interest of most dogs out there to be spayed and neutered.

That said, there are also people out there who are more than capable of having intact animals. They seem to be few and far between when I'm out and about in public, but they are out there, and in those cases, I don't really care.

I don't understand why anyone would not want to spay their girls though. It's messy and inhibits regular daily life for at least a month a couple times a year generally... and in my experience, they always seem to come into season at the most inconvenient times. I'd much rather spay and be rid of all of that. Pyometra scares me like crazy too.

And after living with Ripley, whose hormones get in the way of his focus pretty easily these days, I can't wait to neuter him one day as well. He's a good dog, but his constant (almost obsessive) want/need for sniffing and marking and girl finding (outside only, but still) is really annoying. I'm fully capable of keeping him intact forever, but I have no desire to. Of course I don't let him get over the top about things, and a lot of it is just his age, but it still gets in the way of training when I'm constantly having to get his focus back to me.

Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Ripley
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 06-20-2010, 03:26 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

THere are so many really stupid owners in this complex, about as many as there are responsible ones. So I believe only stupid ones, repeat offenders, should have to have a license to have litters or pets at all....Since that is never going to happen I don't know what the answer should be. I have had intact males all my adult life. I did have an oops litter. THey were 100 percent house broken, could be taken anywhere and except for that mistake, which I take total blame for, they were no harm to society. One was a therapy dog.

Females are so much harder. THere are silent heats. I never quite believed it until it happened to me. Mary was too young, there was not one spot, not one bit of difference in behavior, nothing to give me a heads up. So if you do not have a license to breed than yes I do believe females should be spay. My dogs have lived long healthy lives of joy and never suffered anything from it. I was a total wreck the day Mary went in because I knew there is always that one chance the gas could hurt her or something go wrong. I had a bad feeling and I almost backed out until I remembered what happened and never wanted her to go through that again.

I can only base my answers on my own experiences and one fact. The number of cats and dogs, kittens and puppies that are put down is horrid. I want to say 54 million but that might be outdated, and I am no good at storing numbers in my head so it may be way over too. My pups all had arranged homes, house broken, had their vaccines, and could sit on cue when the left. STILL I know that those homes might have been a rescue. I have tried in many ways to make up for that ever since.

I agreed to neuter Victor and because I had promised I did. He suffered an allergic attack and swelled up as if he had been stung by a hundred bees. It was awful.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 06-20-2010, 03:54 PM
Top Dog

For the average joe owner I'd most definitely act pro spay and neuter, most people are in no way responsible enough to own an intact pet. For real dog people and responsible owners I'd say wait until maturity. As a vet (if that's what I end up doing) I'll say spay and neuter for my clients unless they say they plan on keeping an intact pet and seem adamant that they do not want the dog to reproduce and will do what they need to keep them from doing so.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 06-20-2010, 03:56 PM
Soon to Be 4 Pups!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Dog View Post
Personally if they aren't being showed or bred then I don't see why you would speuter your pet. It seems like more trouble then it's worth.

I especially support it for your everyday ignorant owner. I know that many people here have unaltered pets and are just fine but I also know that these people are careful, not everyone is.
Soon as i see them coming down they get chopped off.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:58 PM
Navy Sister

Definitely Pro. I have no intention of ever living with an intact dog. The heats, the marking, the having to be careful so you don't have an "oops", it's not for me.
knows that we know, and holds us responsible to act.