Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 08-15-2010, 11:19 AM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

Smile Best way to train from the get-go?

Well, when we move, we're going to get another Siberian Husky. Not sure how long after we move, but hopefully soon. This will be the 3rd Husky that we've owned, but only the 2nd that I've raised from a pup.

Misty was our first Sibe, and she was a little over a year old when we got her. She was not very good with other dogs, especially females, and absolutely despised cats and regrettably killed several that got over our fence. =/ She was not good with recall, and would completely ignore us if we tried to call her, no matter how much we tried to train her.

Holly was our second, and we got her when she was 8 weeks old. She was not socialized with cats because we didn't own any, but did get a hold on one of my hamsters. She was great with other dogs of all sizes, male or female, but had some slight food aggression with other dogs on occasion. She was very good about staying with us off-leash, and was good with recall as long as she wasn't chasing something.

I really want to avoid all of these issues with our next Husky. We are getting a puppy from the same breeder we got Holly from, and plan to get a female.

We do not own a cat, but I would like one in the future, we have two guinea pigs, and we have a small female dog, Chloe.

We will have a fenced yard, but for obvious reasons, I still want to be able to call her to me in an emergency, and would like to trust her to come back when called if we took her to say, a lake, or something off-leash.

I know what I'm getting into, and I know that huskies are hard headed, and have a strong prey drive. I'm willing to work my hardest to socialize and train her, but would love any tips on the best techniques to use.

If you know of any books that would be good for me to read, or any websites that would be useful, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!!

Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 08-15-2010, 02:25 PM
Top Dog

I'd suggest reading the book "When Pigs Fly" by Jane Killion.

Also Ian Dunbar's Before and After Getting Your Puppy I'm sure would be most helpful.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:19 PM
orange iguanas.

The biggest thing I can suggest is start reinforcing the behaviors you want from day 1. Puppies like to be attached to you like glue, they follow you everywhere.... so take advantage of that and reward the pup for paying attention to you and where you're going. That'll be a good foundation for recall and will instill that sticking near you is pretty cool.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 08-15-2010, 07:15 PM
Active Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzybeth727 View Post
I'd suggest reading the book "When Pigs Fly" by Jane Killion.

Also Ian Dunbar's Before and After Getting Your Puppy I'm sure would be most helpful.

I second "When Pigs Fly" ... I LOVE that book and JK's sense of humor!!
Old 08-15-2010, 11:27 PM
Top Dog

The traditional Siberian Husky will kill cats, chickens, and sometimes small dogs. They are aloof and are content to be alone, they pretty much have no recall, and they love to run. They should get along with other dogs in the same household. But, because they have been bred as pets for several generations, you may also get a dog that is tolerant of small animals and is affectionate. I suspect that the difference you saw in your previous sibes was genetic. If you want another Holly, ask about the personalities of each parent, and see both parents in action. When you pick a puppy, look for a puppy who is happy to be with you. Once home, begin socializing as soon as possible.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:20 PM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

Thanks for all the advice so far! I will look into both books suggested.

Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)