Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 09-25-2005, 12:16 AM
Top Dog

I agree.... BUT.... in ANY profession.... there are good and bad, and I have known "rep. breeders" to dump off "unwanted" pups to the shelters. At first the few I heard of and actually recommended to people, because I thought they were great (from interviews and seeing litters etc... and the way they "distribute.") I was very shocked. Human nature is bizare! This was not in just one state, but several.

Again, that's why I was so hostile... NOT ALL breeders are bad, I agree with that. I also believe we don't need to breed for awhile. I doubt any canines are going extinct soon. But again, this is MY life, what I see, what I live... I sickens me. I have to deal with the animal organizations daily... it hurts my heart. Yes, I can come off badly, but maybe now you know why......

By the way, I am a "so called parrot expert," and I belong to an avian organization... a lot of people there "breed" their parrots, and I HATE it. I was a guest lecturer there, and stated so much. It's not just dogs, its snakes, parrots, cats, rats, etc...... Sorry, I just don't believe in it, and I have several parrots here now because they were "bred" and people didn't realize that they have an I.Q. of 85-100 and live about 60 to 80 years... now I have them, which my 2 year old will inherit. The list goes on. The poor things were a "burden" on people. Again, that's why I work with animals and not with people.
Amy
Old 09-25-2005, 12:32 AM
Big Dog

I'm sure the person you spoke privatley to feels that she too has made a new friend and is very glad to see you back on the site. I feel for in what you see because I too deal with the ugly side of many people in the line of work I do. Like someone said above..."It's all good." Hey at least you are passionate about what you do, which means you are probably very good at it because you are so dedicated. I personally believe that once you get an animal they become your responsibility for the duration of their life unless there is some drastic reason why you couldn't keep them (ie if they were a biter or aggressive towards your children and the problem couldn't be corrected.) Then I still feel it would be the responsibility of the owner to find the animal a proper and good home.

"Life is not measured by the breaths you take,
But by the moments that take your breath away."
Old 09-25-2005, 12:33 AM
Top Dog

You know Amy, you cannot change the world . You have a cause.. which I admire.. but now that you've gotten into parrots ... you've lost me. Maybe you've taken on more than you can handle. God bless !
Old 09-25-2005, 12:52 AM
Top Dog

I have so not gotten into more than I can handle.... This is my job, my life, my livelyhood. I now have a thriving business, I lecture (and get paid) and do news articles (and get paid).... just to inform, the last lecture I did, I donated my "pay" back into the fund, so I didn't take a dime. I know this is a dog forum, but I am an all around animal person..... I never take on more than I can handle, well actually, I do, but I still come through....

Again,I know this is a dog forum, but my parrots are AWESOME! They have the i.q. of kindergarten (sp?) child. That's what I wrote a book about, so I am blessed.Sorry to say, they were from breeders, that got dropped off at a vet's office.... I incorporated them into my shows.... they had so much fun. The only one I took as a pet is my African Grey which is about 23 years old. My blue and gold bonded so much to me that I now have her as pet.... A thousand pound, per inch of pressure on her beak and she preens my eye lashes. We had about 14 parrots (orig. from breeders), that were "dropped off" at either vet offices or shelters, that came into our shows... after working (very easy work, haha) now have life long homes. And they are loving every minute of it. I kept a few as well as a dog that I started working with in 1995. We would rescue them, train them, give them any meds, great food, monthly vet appt. and exercise their mind. They would do a few minutes in our shows (like bomb sniffing) segment ...not real bombs... and get great treats, love and then after awhile a GREAT LIFE LONG HOME. Our animals had it good, that's why so many animal organizations tried to work with us.
Old 09-25-2005, 01:16 AM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalbiz
..... I never take on more than I can handle, well actually, I do, but I still come through....
I tend to do the same thing too. Though I am slowly starting to learn to say "No" to somethings. This is a dog forum but from what I've seen you can discuss any kind of animal here. I know a few people that have horses. I have 2 cats but sorry no parrots. I am really not a big bird person. I think it comes from too many duck, geese, and rooster floggings growing up as a kid...though I think parrots are really pretty and have heard they are really smart. Ok, fine I'll admit it. I Jenn am scared of birds unless there the little ones eating out of my bird feeders. lol

Old 09-25-2005, 01:31 AM
Top Dog

To Andrew.... (I have a number 5)
(1)Thanks for the warm welcome...
(2) Of course I know it's humans....that cause the most cruelty and death to our pets.. DUH!!! I don't care what the reasons are... if you can't take care of an ant, don't breed other breeds.
(3) Yeah, I will lump breeders, human and pets alike....but for different reasons... humans will breed animals to make a profit....regardless what they say, why else do it?
Humans will breed, and it's mostly impulsive, will have the tax payers pay for the child.... It's an on going process.... China is stopping the breeding... Not that I want to get into politics... But come on, we have 14 year olds having kids and we are paying for it. Parents/kids are repeating the cycle..... we should know better. I for one am sick of paying for some elses welfare and child costs. I "bred" when I was ready, at 30 years old. I have NEVER taken from the system - EVER. I am so tired of paying for someone else. And never mind the money I put into the animal rescue....I love the animals, they don't know any better...
(4). I don't get your number 4..............
Botom line, what are you trying to say.
Old 09-25-2005, 01:51 AM
Top Dog

Jenn, you are sooo funny! I had pigeons and ducks trained in our shows by the clicker method. As for parrots...YES, (parrots) they are scary since they have so much power. As soon as I publish(I have literary agents that want me), I just have to get off my butt and send it... ) ANY ENGLISH MAJORS HERE>>>> I HAVE THE BOOK, BUT SOOOO DON'T WANT TO DO THE PROPSAL.
But I will send you a signed copy and you will see that parrots are awesome. They are itimidating, but so cool. I am helping other pet sitters at the moment( in my area about parrots) , so they can take in more revenue. I just love my parrots.... horses too.... trained them, nothing like taking a bottle wine, or brandy and going bare back through the woods. It's good for the soul.
Amy
Old 09-25-2005, 01:57 AM
Big Dog

Yeah I could handle hiding in the woods sometimes. Honey I love to read so you get it published and I would be honored to have a signed copy. I was almost an English major but changed to Criminal Justice and Psych but I am a stickler on grammar and spelling. I got an A on every paper I have ever submitted when I was in college so if you need anything let me know. I'll help any way I can.

Old 09-25-2005, 01:59 AM
Big Dog

P.S. The only duck I like is the one in the AFLAC commercial. he he Now he cracks me up and doesn't seem to scary.

Old 09-25-2005, 07:27 AM
yuckaduck

I am still not convinced but anyway, No Reputable Breeder would dump puppies anywhere, period. If a breeder has dumped puppies in a shelter or on your lap then they had no business breeding in the first place; they were not reputable. I feel for your cause too, I am trying to get the finishing touches set up on my kennels so I can start a rescue here in my area. THere really is nothing except the shelter and of course most people here dump there dogs and puppies in the La Rose Forest. So very sad, I am hoping to offer something better, than that for those poor animals. No questions asked drop off, which will be over run in no time but it is better then the woods. I found a muzzled yellow lab puppy this morning there. Probably around 4 months, no collar, just a muzzle on! Now that is not even giving the dog a chance, people are so inhumane and cruel. She is actually in the house right now, poor scared thing, I am sure she has seen the back of a hand before or a foot.