Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 09-23-2005, 05:04 PM
Top Dog

True, some people do that.
Old 09-23-2005, 05:05 PM
yuckaduck

Do not feed the trolls comes to mind right now.....
Old 09-23-2005, 05:33 PM
MIiA

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalbiz
Enough UNWANTED pets out there? Please stop your breeding to make a buck, at least until there are no need for animal shelters, humane societies and other rescue groups out there. Disgusting....letting animals "breed" is a very lazy way to make an income! Get off your butt and do it your self. Don't rely on animals having sex to make YOU money. Over 7 million pets get destroyed a year, and yes, you are part to blame, don't think your not. Not ever pup, or kitten get a good home for ever..... Hey, I know I came from another forum, but I have to speak the trouth...freedom of speech and all. Let's see how long this is on here now that I recall a post on "how much did you pay for your dog..." The right answer should have been, about 40.00 from a shelter, not some puppy mill or breeder.
AMY
Hi Amy,
1) Welcome to the forum
2) did it not occur to you that it's people who don't take responsibility for their pets that's the reason for 6.99 million of those 7 million deaths....whether it's a BYB, a lazy sob or someone who was ignorant about what dog ownership involved at the time.
3) lumping all breeders into the same category and saying stop...is much like saying 'all the people should stop breeding until world hunger is no more'. At the very least, it comes across as impulsive and poorly thought out. I would much rather see something constructive on the ideals of promoting responsible pet ownership.
4) people like puppies. Shelters don't always have them. Kind of like how people like babies...they don't want to jump into raising a teen-ager - regardless of the fact theres plenty of more settled dogs out there.

Just my thoughts on the matter anyways.

Old 09-23-2005, 05:44 PM
MIiA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordy
i very much agree with the sentiment that breeding for money is bad. there is no excuse for it at all.
I'm not a breeder, and I like mutts so the whole breeding and not making money at it kind of eludes me personally. And while I don't pretend to be a genius, I don't think I'm below the half-way point of general intellect...so - if that logic eludes me, how would the general population (who aren't into a dog community such as this) really be able to distinguish between a legitimate breeder and a BYB. It's sort of like the contracter who's out to take someone's cheque-book for a ride...they talk the talk and a majority of people buy into it. To summarize, for those types of people no excuse is needed when there's a buck to be made - right or wrong.

Unless some sort of regulations come into effect for the breeding of dogs, there will always be BYB's out there and there will always be people who don't know better than to avoid them (EDIT: Including myself at the time I got Jake)

Last edited by AndrewF; 09-23-2005 at 05:55 PM.
Old 09-23-2005, 09:15 PM
Quigleyfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewF
Unless some sort of regulations come into effect for the breeding of dogs, there will always be BYB's out there and there will always be people who don't know better than to avoid them (EDIT: Including myself at the time I got Jake)
sadly that's true, because the "general public" is too lazy and/or ignorant to make an effort researching what pet is right for them and where to get it - or rather not to get it. i'd even go as far as saying the average person spends more time researching what kind of car, computer or entertainment system to get, but it doesn't occur to them that the same thing might be useful for finding a pet or what to feed it.

i don't see much in the way of regulation going to happen in the US, the "land of the free" where profit is more important than anything else. the pet industry is a huge market and they have a more powerful lobby than people who are concerned about animal welfare.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 09-23-2005, 10:22 PM
Top Dog

I agree Mordy...it's even more important as people are having fewer kids and more pets.
Old 09-25-2005, 12:42 AM
Top Dog

K! I did go off a "bit" the other night, and I have been corresponding with another member here through email. I think she NOW knows where I coming from. We both "kinda" went off on each other, but came to a common ground. She knows who she is and if she wants to share what I had to say, that's great, but I am not going to go through it again ( although I think I made a new friend.)
First off, I got p*ssed off for another reason and saw some other things that I don't agree with. BUT, I do respect that you also have freedom of speech.

I was angry for one reason, and then went "off" because of other things I saw posted. I first started because I was defending a friend... then other things got me going. I am not saying that I portrayed myself like I normally would, but what you guys/gals don't realize, as I stated in another post.... I have personally rescused over 300 animals for our shows. We had the humane soc., spca's, every other animal rescue group (reptiles and other exotics included, and was inspected by the USDA. I have been through HELL, every animal group was on my a** to rescue their "babies." AND YES, actual rep. breeders would drop off the "unwanted." Dogs/puppies and cats that didn't meet the "show quality" that was wanted. It was very hard on me, and maybe I took it out on here, and if you never did that, than I am more than humble to apologize.

I saw what people did here for a living, well I have been in the animalbiz for a very long time, and though you may love your dog or cat, I had to indure the disgusting things daily that have been done to animals. See, this is a dog forum, I am an animal person across the board...I will play with tarantulas, scropions, mad. hissing cockroaches, dogs, cats, ducks, horses, dogs, cats, zebras, baboons, monkeys, cougars, sloths, and everything else you throw out there. Yes, I was harsh, but again, I live it daily, while most of you just love your dog the best you can, I get calls, emails, faxes daily on so much abuse. Yes, I handled it badly, I will be the first one the say I was wrong at a certain point... but come on, I am not that wrong on some of the things I have said. And, who ever posted that they are "turned off," please note, I never intended to "turn you on." Better things to do...

Anyway, for the others out there, and the "private person" I have been speaking too.... I do (again) apologize for coming off so strong. I am NOT a bad person, or a troll, I am just very dedicated in what I do, not to mention intense... can't help it, I had to live it..... I did tell the member here that I was not going to ever visit this site again, and didn't care, but I do think many of you are good people and really care. Again, I do apologize for going off as much as I did, but I still stand my ground on a lot of topics that I wrote about. One thing about me, I am honest, I will say what I feel (not that you have to agree) but I am always willing to learn more.
Amy
Old 09-25-2005, 12:59 AM
Twin 2.0

It's all good...

Quote:
AND YES, actual rep. breeders would drop off the "unwanted." Dogs/puppies and cats that didn't meet the "show quality" that was wanted
I don't mean to fan any lingering flames from this thread or any other, but the way I (and i'm sure many others here) interpret the definition of "reputable" includes the fact that most of the good breeders have waiting lists for litters that are three or four breedings down the road. I know that one Aussie breeder I was looking at has something like that happening, and this is on top of the fact that they spent a good two or three years researching the breeding before going through with it. If I had settled on this particular kennel, I would have been looking at about three years between putting my name down and actually get a pup. If I ever decide to get a breeder dog, I'm definitely going to go through that one.

I admire what you do, someone has to be out there on the front lines, but to me, it sounds like those breeders who were dropping off the unwanted pups, while probably not puppymills and they didn't exactly count as complete BYB's, still didn't measure up to what most of this board thinks a good rep. breeder should be like.
Old 09-25-2005, 01:08 AM
Top Dog

Amy, you have a good cause from your heart .... but I do want to state that any GOOD breeders than produce a pup of none show quality will make sure that the pup is sold with spay/neuter policy. I feel 80% of us here are in your corner... we are against BY breeders and those who sell to pet stores etc. I used to answer many " for Sale" ads and ask them questions as to health screening/ hip/etc etc testing just to make them aware ( or hopefully so) what they are doing. Yes, the shelters will always be full of poor dogs. Some lost, some unwanted, some old and too much trouble. These are where our efforts help.
Old 09-25-2005, 01:11 AM
Top Dog

I agree.... BUT.... in ANY profession.... there are good and bad, and I have known "rep. breeders" to dump off "unwanted" pups to the shelters. At first the few I heard of and actually recommended to people, because I thought they were great (from interviews and seeing litters etc... and the way they "distribute.") I was very shocked. Human nature is bizare! This was not in just one state, but several.

Again, that's why I was so hostile... NOT ALL breeders are bad, I agree with that. I also believe we don't need to breed for awhile. I doubt any canines are going extinct soon. But again, this is MY life, what I see, what I live... I sickens me. I have to deal with the animal organizations daily... it hurts my heart. Yes, I can come off badly, but maybe now you know why......

Trust me, there are great breeders out there, but I was the one who had to deal with the so called "rep breeders" in about 24 states. My own babysitter, who is awesome with my little girl, has a dad who breeds bassest hounds... he is "golden" to the community, but I know better from her. I already spoke my "say" to her. Look at Child Protective Services.... that is soooo bad and wrong on so many levels and you want me to send love to dog breeders.... I think not.

Amy

Last edited by amymarley; 09-25-2005 at 02:11 AM.