Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 09-23-2005, 02:00 PM
yuckaduck

Well with my experiences with shelters and rescues I will never get an animal from them. Not ever! I will always go with a breeder and I will be much more careful with the next breeder than I was with Yukon's. I am still trying to get my third paid for rescue dog here, no return on my phone calls. Three times paid for and three times so far no dog delivered as promised. This is a purebred too, but for some reason she is not here yet as promised. Still holding out hope but I think I was taken for yet again and I guarantee never again.

My neighbours got four dogs from the shelter, all mutts and they are the nicest, kindest dogs. There is nothing wrong with them. I would not want them simply because they are not able to fulfill the purpose I would need fulfilled. By the way, we are almost ready to start our own all breed rescue and I guarantee it will be run much differently then the shelters here. THe fees will be based on what is spent on the dog, spaying/neutering, dogs that require nothing will be free. I want to see these dog re homed not living in kennels for their lives. I am only going to turn away pitti's and not because of the dogs but because of the stupid ban! Every other breed welcome! We hope by Jan 1 to be fully operational, the kennels need decorating right now, and a few odds and ends but need to wait for the money to come in.
Old 09-23-2005, 02:07 PM
no touchy

The shelter we got Colby from was great - we went and checked her out, the next day we signed the papers and took her. They did a check to make sure she was happy, found a puppy that was delighted to have a good family, and left. I haven't been to a shelter since a few weeks ago, just to look for an application to volunteer.

Your future rescue sounds great ! I'm hoping to open up an animal sanctuary some day...the animals will be totally spoiled. My sister Abbie fosters dogs from a rescue. She is very careful to find the perfect home for each dog. A man wanted to adopt her lab mix...she went to talk to him and his wife, never got to talk to his wife because she was pregnant and on bed rest. And he worked ten hours a day. So Abbie talked to the rescue and said she didn't think it was a good idea, the rescue woman was a little annoyed and the man was ticked off, but the dog isn't living a crappy life.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 09-23-2005, 02:14 PM
Twin 2.0

Yucka, that's awesome! Definitely keep us posted! I want to be a foster home and/or a puppy raiser for the Guide dogs programs, but that has to wait until I own my own home. About Dallas, I thought you said you had heard back from the lady finally, she had just been out of the country on a family emergency? Has she not returned your calls since then?

All three of my dogs have been rescues and I can't say that I ever really regretted it. With Meisha, my dobe/lab mix, there were times where I wished we had a 'real' dog. She didn't like to go for walks, be around other dogs (partly our fault, didnt' know about constant socialization back then) wouldn't fetch, play tug of war or even really play at all. She was scared of so many things, but very gentle with people and children. She loved being petted by my mother and that was it. On the other hand, we never had to worry about the house being destroyed when we left her alone. My current two rescues couldn't be any better if I'd raised them since pups. Except maybe Aubrey wouldn't be pulling on lead so much...

Who needs sleep?

CrazyDog Photography CrazyDog on Facebook
Scent Sweet Home--Scentsy Wickless Candles Follow me!-Fall/Winter 2013 catalogs available!
Have Aussie, Will Travel--A Blog updated 5/26/12

Thanks Alliemackie!
Old 09-23-2005, 02:16 PM
yuckaduck

We want to get the rescue up and running before doing any breeding. We have no dogs worth breeding anyway. Yukon is neutered and Dallas if she ever gets here is spayed. They are family dogs! Pets no breeding unless something really strange happens!

Marc is going to keep his job because rescuing is not to make money, it is to do right by the dogs. There are so many in this area just dumped in the LaRose Forest and it is so sad, I hope to maybe offer a better place then just dumping them. The animal control keeps them three days if they get them and then they destroy them. I am great buddies with the local dog catcher and she would love for us to offer a place for them to bring the dogs if they are not claimed. Right now they have a couple cages in the township garage. YUCK! So it may be a better choice than that! I hope anyway!

We both need to get ourselves trained before we even consider breeding because we want to be able to train ourselves not have to hire someone. Plus I still have a load of stuff I want to learn about appropriate testing and health issues before I even think about venturing down that road. Right now it would be a disaster; for lack of knowledge.
Old 09-23-2005, 02:22 PM
yuckaduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom
Yucka, that's awesome! Definitely keep us posted! I want to be a foster home and/or a puppy raiser for the Guide dogs programs, but that has to wait until I own my own home. About Dallas, I thought you said you had heard back from the lady finally, she had just been out of the country on a family emergency? Has she not returned your calls since then?

She called on a Mon, then called on a Wed and said that Hurrican Ophelia had devasted her. [SHe was no where near the coast or anywhere that was hit hard] A few people that live in the same town as her asked me what the heck I was talking about devastion, they did not even lose power. HMM LIE

SHe promised to call me on the Fri to give me an exact date of when she was bringing Dallas. That was exactly one week ago and nothing! I have left 5 messages so far this week, one ever night and nothing! I also got my phone bill and interesting, she claims the phone number I have is a cell phone; my phone bill says landline in Plainfield New Jersey. SHe claims to live in North Carolina, moved there from NJ due to work. THat is why Dallas needed re homing because she is in an apartment and Dallas is living in a kennel.

I do not know what to believe but since there has been no phone calls returned and there are to many untruths surrounding this, I can only assume I was lied too and screwed. She promised to have Dallas to me before Oct 1 and that is end of next week, so I will know for sure by then and be able to post with out a doubt. Either post that she is a scammer and post her name and phone number, or post pictures of Dallas because she will be here, by Sat, Oct 1.
Old 09-23-2005, 03:00 PM
Rottweiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaddylovesdogs
I will never purchase a dog from a breeder. Never. I don't see the point of getting a pet from a breeder. There are plenty of pets in shelters! You don't need to get one from a breeder, just stop at your local shelter and look at all the adorable faces.

But I think that if the breeder is breeding to better the breed, great!! There are some breeders here, and they are responsible.

My thoughts exactly.

Other then that, just go to a shelter. My dog cost $25.00

Cordelia Antonietta Cajas: Rottweiler & German Shepherd

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."

Old 09-23-2005, 03:04 PM
Rusty but Trusty

In my personal opinion I will probably continue to buy any future dogs from a reputable breeder instead of going to a shelter. We had two rescue dogs and as much as we loved them they just weren't as stable as our Hannah. I will always go and look at shelters first, just in case, but from now on my dogs will come from well researched breeders. From a shelter the dog's background is unknown, any health issues are probably not known, who knows how they were treated or will react to certain situations that the shelter tells you they can handle. When we got Shelby she was a stray and they said she was housebroken and very sweet. Well the whole time we had her she never became housebroken, and was less than sweet to most people on most days. Hannah, who came from a breeder, has had a very stable temperment never gave me any reason to worry about her. I will always check the local shelter first but will probably go to a breeder from now on. My situations from a shelter have always ended up in heartbreak.

Old 09-23-2005, 03:31 PM
Top Dog

It's true too. I know I'm not very trustful of the shelter here either, because they do no background check whatsoever. There's still a couple dogs I would have got there though.

I trust rescues more, but it's true that it depends a lot on their requirements. I'm really happy with Tips, he is a real sweetheart, the only thing that shows he was in a shelter is that he's shy.

But I agree that I just can't browse petfinder and get a pup from a breeder again after that.
Old 09-23-2005, 03:58 PM
Top Dog

I trust the rescues too....if a breed rescue, they are usually fostered and evaluated before adopted out, so you see and know what you're getting. I feel sorry for shelter dogs, and would probably look there. A stray might be a wonderful dog.... but I'm afraid I'd really be apprehensive about a turned in dog...
Old 09-23-2005, 04:02 PM
Big Dog

Have you noticed that AnimalBiz never bothered to respond to any of you on the thread she started? If you have the time, you should really check out all her posts. She seems to have the knack for being confrontational and a little vulgar in her postings with her use of language. She personally attacked me on a site when I was welcoming a new guest to this site.

"Life is not measured by the breaths you take,
But by the moments that take your breath away."