Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 09-22-2005, 11:29 PM
Top Dog

Default Don't you think there are enough...

Enough UNWANTED pets out there? Please stop your breeding to make a buck, at least until there are no need for animal shelters, humane societies and other rescue groups out there. Disgusting....letting animals "breed" is a very lazy way to make an income! Get off your butt and do it your self. Don't rely on animals having sex to make YOU money. Over 7 million pets get destroyed a year, and yes, you are part to blame, don't think your not. Not ever pup, or kitten get a good home for ever..... Hey, I know I came from another forum, but I have to speak the trouth...freedom of speech and all. Let's see how long this is on here now that I recall a post on "how much did you pay for your dog..." The right answer should have been, about 40.00 from a shelter, not some puppy mill or breeder.
AMY
Old 09-22-2005, 11:34 PM
Twin 2.0

That's one way to put it...

Most/many members on here have rescue dogs/cats/horses/whatever, and I do have to say that you are preaching to the choir on this one! Welcome to the board, by the way.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:38 PM
Top Dog

I have to say I am very surprised...to get such a great postive response. But have you read all the threads? You are, so far the "shining star" I have seen so far while I was "trolling" this board. Thank you for the nice welcome.
Amy
Old 09-22-2005, 11:47 PM
Twin 2.0

I've read a good deal of them...I haven't dug into the archives, but from what I've garnered in the time I've been here is that while, yes, some of the members do/have bred dogs in the past, it is for all the "right" reasons and not for profit.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:54 PM
Top Dog

I am not being sarcasitic here, so please help me, what are the RIGHT reasons? The breeders I know will ship a dog/kitten anywhere. I promise you, I have lived it..... all over the country. I have yet to find why some one is doing the RIGHT thing breeding. EXCEPT that they want to keep the litter, because they loved the dog that may have died and wanted to continue his legacy. AND THEY KEPT THEM. Not sold them for profit.
Old 09-23-2005, 01:23 AM
Top Dog

Thanks Zoom for support of my past breeding. I did it not for profit, but to extend a wonderful line with health and screening that people were seeking. When Goldens became so popular and I no longer could breed what I did for 30-35 years I quit and rescued and had those who wanted my pups look into rescue too. I know of many golden breeders who breed for show/obedience/or field quality. Don't put down legit breeders....without them there would be more dogs in shelters. Go after the BYBers and the pet stores !
Old 09-23-2005, 02:01 AM
Top Dog

I would only breed if I wanted one from the litter. I don't do it for profit.
Old 09-23-2005, 02:47 AM
Quigleyfied

i very much agree with the sentiment that breeding for money is bad. there is no excuse for it at all.

however, i know a handful of good breeders who don't breed for the money (they barely ever break even on a litter anyway), but for the love of the breed and the desire to preserve and improve it. their puppies don't end up at shelters or rescues either.

here in the US pet ownership is very much part of the "throwaway society" in which people seem to think it is ok to dump a pet for whatever reason of convenience and get a new one to replace it.

another fact is that in cases where people don't own a dog just as a pet but are involved in a particular activity, such as for example herding, field trials etc. - you need a dog that's suitable for the job.

in my opinion, educating people about not buying from pet shops or irresponsible breeders would make more of a difference than laying all the blame on the breeders. it all goes back tothe convenience thing tho, a lot of peopel out there just want a dog NOW, and a convenient way to pick it up or have it shipped to them instead of investing s few months into researching a breed, finding a good breeder and getting on the waiting list for a litter.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 09-23-2005, 05:15 AM
Top Dog

Also who said you make money out of a litter? By the time you pay for the health checks, stud dog, pregnancy checks, extra food, wormer, vaccinations, health checks of the puppy's and the time you spend raising them you will be lucky to break even, and that assuming that all goes well and you don't have to fork out a fortune for a c-section and possibly loose both mum and pups.
Old 09-23-2005, 07:59 AM
Walks into Mordor

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalbiz
I have yet to find why some one is doing the RIGHT thing breeding. EXCEPT that they want to keep the litter, because they loved the dog that may have died and wanted to continue his legacy. AND THEY KEPT THEM. Not sold them for profit.
Not to be a downer, but most people on this board do not believe in that either. That is considered a form of backyard breeding. I personally know many people who have bred for that reason, and NONE of them have kept all the puppies. One or two, yes. But the whole litter? Never. Especially if it's a large dog who has 8-10 pups. They're just adding to the population. And if their beloved dog eventually has a problem, like hip dysplasia, they've just passed it on through the pups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalbiz
I have to say I am very surprised...to get such a great postive response. But have you read all the threads? You are, so far the "shining star" I have seen so far while I was "trolling" this board.
And just from your initial posts and replies, you seem to have come here with a very confrontational attitude. And you seem to be belittling most of the people on this board. No offense, but that's no way to get across an otherwise sound message. I know you've turned me off, as you can tell.