Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 06-16-2010, 05:08 PM
Active Pup

Default fence "fighting"

I have a question regarding fence "fighting"...in quotes because seems to be more playful excited barking. My lab is almost five, very well-socialized though she prefers people to other dogs but on walks and on-leash she is quite happy to greet and sniff. She is NOT a barker normally. We moved into a new home recently and there are two collies next door who are out in their yard the majority of the time (separated from ours by a typical wooden fence). My lab has started barking with & at these dogs when she is let out to potty (she does not spend time in the yard alone otherwise). This seems to be typical barking at a barrier when a dog can't get access to what they are glimpsing. So here is my question: Would it help at all to have all three dogs meet & greet (on-leash or off) in a neutral territory?

I should note here that she will come immediately if called, however I may be tending to something else so it may take me a few minutes to go out and call her...as we live in a residential neighborhood and this can sometimes occur early morning and later in the evening, would prefer it didn't occur at all! Also, the neighbors completely ignore the barking when it occurs and never call their dogs.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:25 PM
Top Dog

Collies can be barky, so the neighbors may be used to it and just ignore them. Letting the dogs meet and play will help somewhat. If there is some way you can open the yard up and let them meet, do so. This won't end all the barking, but they are less likely to become aggressive toward each other if they can occasionally have some play time together.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:52 PM
Squishy face

You can teach her to ignore the dogs on the other side of the fence. When she starts barking at them, redirect her attention immediately with a toy or food (use the food for just working on training, like going through her sits and downs, etc.) If she won't come away on her own, put her leash on and lead her away immediately, and then distract her with toys/food. This teaches your dog that stuff in her own yard is much more rewarding, and she'll ignore those other dogs. You might have to do this four or five times for her to get the picture though.

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 06-18-2010, 12:43 AM
Active Pup

Thanks so much for the great advice...I think I will set up a play date and try the suggestion of redirecting with a special treat! I am so happy to have found this forum - what a great group of special dog people!