Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 06-15-2010, 09:27 AM
Top Dog

Becca, you might want to reconsider keeping up high value items (ask your trainer or someone here...)...I think it's probably important for them to learn to respect each other's space and "belongings" while they're still young and able to work it out calmly. I don't think this is a sign the dogs will turn D/A but if in six months one of them snags a bone or something or you forget to pick it up or whatever, and the other tries to grab it, that might not turn out so pretty.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 06-15-2010, 09:28 AM
Top Dog

Gunnar will resource guard against other dogs. We only give high resource treats/toys when they are separated to ensure no fights break out. Gunnar is fine to eat around Layla but she knows not to bother his food bowl. I do generally feed Gunnar separate from the other animals as it is just safer to do so.

Layla and Gunnar have squabbled a few times when I let them lick something like the broiler pan. These 'fights' are easily broken up by a firm Knock it off! and neither has ever sustained any real injury from them.

While as others have said you should let them work it out to an extent I would obviously be vigilant watching their interactions and making sure Ophie starts to understand your fosters request to be left alone when he asks.

The growling over resources will not inherently lead to dog aggression but is certainly something to keep a watchful eye on, even when only dealing with pups.

You guys will do great by both these dogs! I have 100% faith in your abilities especially since you are willing to ask what you are unsure of.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:32 AM
Top Dog

I don't know if you want my advice or not Becca. I don't have much experience with Pit Bulls, (other than a few clients' dogs...never had one myself) but I do have lots of experience with multiple dogs and DA. But personally, if I had super guardy dogs and especially dogs hardwired for the propensity to "get into it," I'd keep the high value stuff away from them when they are in the same area. They can be fed in separate rooms and don't really need to "learn" how to eat right next to each other or eat out of the same bowl. I'd just elimate that added stress. There are some types of exercises one can work on to show the dog that having the other dog near his stuff actually pays off. And that getting snarky actually wrecks the chances of getting to stick around where the action is. But those things take a lot of work and diligence. Bottom line...you still have to supervise like crazy. So, like I said, I'd just reduce the tension before it has a chance to get started by keeping the things out of the room when they're together that set off the high level of competition, be it food, bones or a favorite toy.

I agree about letting the one growl or show threatening body language IF the other is respecting that (backing off) right away. If not, things can escalate like you said, from 0 to 100 in a heart beat.

I've seen a few pieces of what I thought were good advice from RFD but this.....the idea that Pit Bulls are somehow defective if they act this way is showing a lack of understanding about the type of dogs they are and a lack of dog behavior in general. Resource guarding is absolutely normal behavior in ALL animals. The worry is that terriers, if they begin to fight, don't let up as easily as many breeds. I don't think being DA is "out of control" or too much for you to handle at all. It's just about management, as you are fully aware. And by your asking for more ideas, it just shows me that you are covering all bases BEFORE anything could get out of control.

I've also seen a lot of advice RMF I disagree with...that is pretty much common knowledge, like the one about stress not having anything to do with digestive problems. (dog was pooping in the new house after one of the owners had left to live somewhere else. New house, one owner disappeared). And that a dog's learned behavior regressing is abnormal or that he gets it in one place, but not in a new house. (ie: a potty training post) That is so not true. So, it makes me wonder just how much experience and education RMF really has. Actually, 15 years experience with dogs isn't that much anyhow. I've had 50 years experience with dogs and some education, formal and informal. And I still ask questions and don't have answers for everything.

Whatever the length of time you've had in terms of experience, I don't see the probability by some of your statements. This hurtful remark about Becca sticking to a simpler breed because you think she's inexperienced on account of her asking a question like this is....well...I'll just say, incomprehensibly dumb.

You waltz onto this forum as a new member and presume to know all about a long standing member and her experience with dogs. Don't be so full of yourself. The most highly respected, world famous trainers and behaviorists, whose books I've read, have trainers they consult with. They don't come off as egotistical as you do. Are you insecure and so have to over-compensate? Or what?
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 06-15-2010, 09:59 AM
Top Dog

my, some of you are just too rich. everyone needs to calm down and look in the mirror, there's lots of funny stuff in here and so much irony, but I bet those that should see it won't, they're too busy piling on and typing with emotion.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:05 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
my, some of you are just too rich. everyone needs to calm down and look in the mirror, there's lots of funny stuff in here and so much irony, but I bet those that should see it won't, they're too busy piling on and typing with emotion.
Yup...you've got that right.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 06-15-2010, 10:23 AM
Silence! I ban you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
You're new here, right?