Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 06-14-2010, 04:07 PM
Top Dog

What is funny, is Rebecca came to Chaz with this question thinking people would be less friggin' judgmental than the regular pit bull forums. I guess all it takes is one to throw a wrench in that thought.

Scared of the breed? Get real. I know Rebecca is not scared of them. Respectful of the demeanor, but never afraid. It was a simple question regarding a common outcome during APBT growth and development.

The idea is keep interactions as positive as possible to eliminate all variables except their own brain development. The question sought advice from people that have seen this multiple times and could offer sound advice. We have good sense of course, but the resource is right here, so why not ask.

I think Rebecca handle herself quite well along with the other commenters. Gave me a good chuckle.

Remind me never to tick you people off
Old 06-14-2010, 04:11 PM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
RFD, have you ever actually read this? Particularly the first one.
http://www.chazhound.com/forums/t38570/

I honestly don't know how you are still posting here with the number of posts you have made that are passive-aggressive or just outright rude. You seem rather incapable of posting in a manner that is not insulting. There's another member here who was just approached about the fact that he comes off rude and insulting in his posts and he was quite receptive to the comment. Might be something to consider.
For the general amusement of the board, perhaps?

RFD (to paraphrase a famous political rejoinder) is no Pops.

Becca is smart and savvy enough to ask questions and doesn't have an egotistical streak to make her think she HAS to know it all. She's also intelligent enough to separate the sincere, good advice from the the posturing and apply what works best for her family.

Oh, and she "handled" Ella far better than many would have. One thing she's got in spades is the ability to keep a cool head, something you really need if you're going to own APBTs.

Oh, and the Great Danes being difficult thing . . . thanks for the good giggle. Even the badly bred ones I've dealt with were lovely to handle and easy to direct, a little over-exuberant, maybe, but otherwise benign creatures. Even the one fight I had to break up was a piece of cake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellas_Daddy View Post
Well, I can't imagine . . . unless Becca tells us you're being mean ;rofl1:

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 06-14-2010, 05:55 PM
Resident fainting goat

RFD, you may have some good advice buried in your posts, but its so deep under that layer of DOUCHEBAG that people don't learn anything from them.

Your 15 years of dog experience etc.. goes to **** because for some reason you have no idea how to make a polite informative post!!

Becca is a great dog owner, and a great APBT owner at that. she is VERY dog savvy, but like most people with new puppies who haven't had pups in a while, had some questions and came here for advice.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:19 PM
Bloody but Unbowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellas_Daddy View Post
What is funny, is Rebecca came to Chaz with this question thinking people would be less friggin' judgmental than the regular pit bull forums. I guess all it takes is one to throw a wrench in that thought.

Scared of the breed? Get real. I know Rebecca is not scared of them. Respectful of the demeanor, but never afraid. It was a simple question regarding a common outcome during APBT growth and development.

The idea is keep interactions as positive as possible to eliminate all variables except their own brain development. The question sought advice from people that have seen this multiple times and could offer sound advice. We have good sense of course, but the resource is right here, so why not ask.

I think Rebecca handle herself quite well along with the other commenters. Gave me a good chuckle.

I still can't believe this person is coming on here and throwing their weight around like this. I hope you guys will not stop posting stuff about your puppy saga on here because of them.

And as to the Raw Food Fanatic--are we actually expected to take your word for it that you are an expert and are pretty much always right? Why would anyone do that? Just because you say you have masses of experience, we don't know if you are a liar or what the experience consists of. So far you just seem to enjoy coming on here and harrassing our regular members. And your advice is pretty far out there, as well as being delivered in an abrasive and hectoring way. No thanks.

Thanks Baxter'smybaby. You're the Best.
Bless All the Abandoned Animals, Left to Die Alone, Abandoned, Frightened, and Confused
Old 06-14-2010, 06:25 PM
swimming upstream

I find it interesting that RFD is an authority on what breed of dog Becca should have--incredibly laughable! I would think that he would know better--since he seems to know all.

on topic--I have had and do still have some snarkiness between the hound brothers over food items. However, by supervising them, and not leaving things out and available (bully sticks and the like) we have harmony. It takes diligence at first--but we all know you are capable of managing some difficult situations. I bet you will be successful with this one as well.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:36 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

I think some growliness around high value items is normal. Blackie and Rose, who lived together without any issue whatsoever for twelve years, would snarf at one another if they had a bone. It never escalated past that, but one would tell the other off if they got to close and the other respected that and walked away.
It is when there is no respect for the other dog that things get dicey. For example, Rose and Chloe. Chloe has no respect whatsoever for Rose when it comes to things of value and she would rather take offense at Rose telling her to back off than to just back off. So the girls, while they get along fine, are not allowed loose together with no one home to supervise and they also aren't allowed to have high value items (bones, rawhide) loose together and the bones/rawhide get picked up when they are loose together.

We haven't had any issues at all after we started keeping an eye on things. And Chloe is a resource guarder, both towards animals and humans. I worked with her for the better part of a year to get her okay with humans around "her" possessions. I think the only animal she has never resource guarded against is the kitten. She even lets him take away her rawhide without a fuss. LOL

Old 06-14-2010, 07:28 PM
BusterLove

Just wow RFD.

Becca did an amazing job with Ella, I have so much respect for her for the effort she put into that dog. I also have a DA dog and I know how downheartening it can be and I take a lot of inspiration from Becca.
I'm also adding a puppy soon and will probably have tonnes of questions regarding its upbringing eventhough I've had dogs all my life and taken part in raising every one of them, I know how it feels to just want the best start for your dog.
Glad I will get decent advice from nearly everyone on this forum.

On topic, Buster is extremely stable with the other dogs in the house, he usually uses his killer snarl to tell Mac to back off when she is pushing it, if she really pushes it she occasionally gets snarked but usually she knows not to force it.
I think its just a matter of knowing your dogs and supervising. I try to let ours sort out as much as they can on their own but if it looks like its going to escalate thats when I step in.

I've seen Harry go from 0-100 before, its not fun. 1 second Mac was wandering over to his food bowl, literally 2 seconds later he had made his "hard eye" look at her, flipped her on her back, scrubbed her over to the other side of the verandah and had her around the neck before we could grab him, we were just opening our mouths to tell Mac to get away and we couldn't even get a word out.
He didn't hurt her but he's just too fast, thats why they are seperated now, 95% of the time he's fine, but when he does decide to go, its so fast.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:06 PM
Top Dog

Absolutely on the speed of it. Rebecca is better than me at spotting the signs. When they occur you can't even get out "Oh Sh..!" before it's over. It has been years since I've been around a pup so we will ask questions a lot. I appreciate the solid advise so far.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:11 PM
Not a lurker

Becca, ignore the self-proclaimed prophet. It's a normal question to ask. Even my 2 adult dogs will snark at each other over high value items, and I've seen one minor fight over a tennis ball, it happens, no matter the breed. I'd just keep an eye on them and as long as it doesn't start getting violent with posturing and a fight is about to break out, let them settle it.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:15 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
For the general amusement of the board, perhaps?
I have to say that I'm not at all amused - in fact it makes me extremely hesitant to post, particularly on the subject of raw food. And now he's giving, uh, "training" advice too? Hm.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog