Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 06-12-2010, 08:33 PM
Taxiderpy

Default Meet Mahonri

Some of you may have seen Johnny Walker's memorial thread. We weren't ready to or planning on replacing him any time soon, but his hen got way to stressed by herself.

We couldn't really afford another drake right away, most people are asking $25-30 for one and we're between paychecks. Well, today I stopped by a garage sale and someone had a bunch of 5 week old muscovy chicks for $5 each. The answer to my prayers!

Robert is calling him Mahonri Moriancumr. He's blue, with a white bib. Right now he looks kind of non descript but he'll get really handsome as he grows. And please excuse all the buckets and junk in the background. Aurelia loves dragging containers from all over the property to the duck pen for some reason.

Xochitl loves him.

Just plain 'ol Xochitl. She's such a sweetheart.

And Mahonri, looking all cool with his giant feet.

This is what color he will look like when he's grown, only with a white bib.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:46 PM
Twin 2.0

Oooh how cool and how lucky!

Hi Mahonri! I'm pronouncing "Ma-on-ree" is that right?
Old 06-12-2010, 08:47 PM
swimming upstream

look at those feet! Nice that you came across him--I'm sorry you lost Johnny W.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:28 AM
Very Food Agressive

Aww He's adorable! I'm glad you found a companion for the hen and that you're sharing him with us

Practice what you preach or keep your mouth shut.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:49 AM
Top Dog

Kind of a dumb question but how do you guys know hes a he. Now you are required to share photos of him as he changes ( I love watching baby birds grow).

Old 06-13-2010, 07:05 AM
Top Dog

Really cool! that last picture of what he will look like when grown is a nice looking animal. Now, I have a question. Are ducks, chickens, geese, etc. really dirty? My ex MIL had chickens and they were disgusting! Was she just a poor keeper and didn't clean? It was just poop built up everywhere and their house and boxes were just nasty. I don't remember our yard and barn being such a mess when we had geese when I was living at home, and I know my mom took care of them and didn't clean that well either. But I've been really put off by animals like this because of how dirty and stinky those chickens were
Old 06-13-2010, 08:33 AM
Love my pets

He's beautiful! Congrats on your new addition.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:08 AM
Kat/Oak AKA The Nice One

Awwww, I love ducks! We used to have them, and the ducklings were the cutest things in the world!
The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice-versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:02 AM
Top Dog

Awww look at his huge feet! He's so cute. I like the way Xochitl is hovering over him too, she looks very protective. I also want to know the answer to Pam's question, we had chickens when we were growing up and they STUNK. How do ducks compare to that?

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 06-14-2010, 10:19 PM
Taxiderpy

Aww man, I had a huge response typed out yesterday and then accidentally deleted it.

Okay:

Zoom, we're pronouncing it "Mah-hon-rai". Probably a more accurate spelling would be Mahonrai. Ah well.

Gypsy, I'm not totally sure. He and the other boys were easily twice the size of the clutchmates the owner identified as female...so size maybe? I don't know if there are any other tricks, but she seemed pretty certain and was ecstatic to find someone who wanted a boy. lol

Pam, birds can be extremely messy if you don't clean up regularly. Especially if they are confined.

Range birds on large pieces of land typically are cleaner, just because their poo is spread around and you don't really encounter it.

We have the two ducks. Their wire enclosure is 6'x6' and it has a ramp into their hutch, which is 4'x4'x8'. I spot clean once a week and it takes me about 10 minutes. Eventually I'm going to dig out the dirt in the 6x6 pen and fill it with 1.5 feet of sand. It's easy on their feet, and works sort of like a litter box for raking out poo and letting water drain.

The chickens were smellier, but they have different smells. A clean muscovy pen sort of smells like....a dairy barn? I'm not sure how else to describe it. It's not a manure smell, but sort of a milky smell. But not like store milk. I've only smelled anything like it in my aunt's dairy barn. Personally I like it because it brings back good memories, but some people might not.

Chickens can be kept clean pretty easily if you spot clean once a week and put down sand in their chicken yard. If you have good soil, the sand isn't really necessary. When I kept longtails I raked out their pen once a day and composted the poo. It never really smelled and there were 30 birds in a roofed 8'x8'x24' pen.