Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 06-12-2010, 05:24 AM
Top Dog

Default Im not even sure what I'm thinking...kind of just thinking out loud

Is there any type of organization, anything out there that will help someone to pay a pet deposit who can't afford it but wants a kitten/cat?

There is a 20 year old boy on my UC forum who came desperately seeking help from anyone...not for a kitten. Just for someone to talk to. He was considering suicide. His family lives in the same town but doesn't help him. His mother I think is just scared because he has a chronic illness (he was diagnosed with UC at age 10 and before that had back surgeries and issues and almost ended up with a wheelchair). His father was/is abusive and probably doesn't let his mother help him out and calls him stupid and ugly and whatever else.

This kid is actually really good looking but painfully shy and can't get a gf because he is afraid to go out in public and have accidents and things (when UC/Crohns is uncontrolled it can lead to very embarrassing public accidents as you have no control and cant tell you have to go until it's too late. I had many accidents in my car and toward the end, even had to run out of stores to make it into my car when I couldn't find a bathroom. It's very socially isolating). I talked to him on AIM because he wasn't really getting any responses. I ended up letting him call me because I was so worried about him. I don't think he will kill himself. I don't think he was just seeking attention. He has not told really anyone about his disease and wanted to find someone to talk to who would understand what is going on. He just really wants someone to talk to and wasn't finding anyone, and it doesn't help that he lives in a small town in Oregon with no support groups for this disease or anything.

He is on anti-depressants but not currently seeing his counselor because when his disease was in remission he felt ok. He goes back to his GI next week, and I think once he gets the UC under control, he can work on his social shyness more and meet some people. He rents the attic in a house and knows the girls downstairs but is too embarrassed to tell them his medical history (though they know he was just hospitalized and did visit him there, they don't know the real reason or extent or that he will always be sick). He is allowed a pet in his place. The girls have a dog. He said how much he would love to have a kitten to sleep with him at night and be there to talk to. He misses his kitties that live with his mom. He would be able to take care of a kitten's basics but can't afford to pay the pet deposit.

I don't know. I was just wondering if anyone can think of I way this kid could be helped to raise a little money for something like this. I know it's not always best to get an animal when you're going through such tough times yourself, but it seems like it would help him with the loneliness a lot and even help him open up socially a bit more with something else to talk about.

He's getting some money for disability right now and can't work (he was hauling lumber before or something) but that's enough for his food and rent. He is a student but out for the summer and barely made it through last semester before getting really sick again.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:45 AM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

I don't know of any such program, but perhaps he can pay the pet deposit over a few months instead of needing to pay it all in one lump sum?

Old 06-12-2010, 11:51 AM
Top Dog

I realized I wasn't clear in what type of pet deposit I was talking about, but I think you understood.

It's for the landlord to allow the pet on the rental property. That's a good idea--maybe he can pay it in installments
Old 06-12-2010, 12:23 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam111 View Post
It's for the landlord to allow the pet on the rental property. That's a good idea--maybe he can pay it in installments
He might be able to get the kitten in for free as an emotional support animal. He'd need a doctor's note and the kitten would need to actually be an ESA, but worth looking into by the sounds of it.

But is he going to be able to pay for food and vet care? Will he be able to afford it if there's an illness or injury?

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 06-12-2010, 12:34 PM
Soon to Be 4 Pups!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgipower View Post
He might be able to get the kitten in for free as an emotional support animal. He'd need a doctor's note and the kitten would need to actually be an ESA, but worth looking into by the sounds of it.

But is he going to be able to pay for food and vet care? Will he be able to afford it if there's an illness or injury?

Yea this How will he pay for everything else?
Old 06-12-2010, 12:47 PM
Top Dog

He can afford the basic day to day litter/food/etc. and will have student loan money when school starts again and would be willing to put emergencies on a card if needed. I know not everyone has ideal financial situations to have pets, but plenty on this board and elsewhere somehow make it work if there's an emergency.

How does a cat get certified for something like that, CP?
Old 06-12-2010, 01:06 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
I'm not entirely sure.

Emotional Support Animals | Service Dog Central
http://www.bazelon.org/LinkClick.asp...c%3D&tabid=245

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 06-12-2010, 01:55 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

Quote:
I realized I wasn't clear in what type of pet deposit I was talking about, but I think you understood.

Yes, I understood. Best of luck to him, I hope he can figure something out.

Old 06-12-2010, 02:08 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I don't think there is a certification process for ESAs. There is no certification process for Assistance Dogs, so I would imagine the same is true here.

I have a friend who owned an apartment complex, and many of her tenants had ESAs. One had two guinea pigs. One had an iguana. So I highly doubt the animal has to go through a certification process.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:15 PM
Top Dog

Thanks for that information! I will definitely pass it on to him