Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 06-10-2010, 02:02 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogloverstraining View Post
I admire your kindness in helping the lady with her puppy, soon to be a dog. I know that you really like dogs and even puppies. Well, I think that dog needs a little bit of consideration being allowed to run around the farm. It might get kicked by a horse or the dog might even chased some chickens. A lot of unexpected things might happened. I wish I could have that dog.

"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 06-10-2010, 03:03 PM
Water Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogloverstraining View Post
I admire your kindness in helping the lady with her puppy, soon to be a dog. I know that you really like dogs and even puppies. Well, I think that dog needs a little bit of consideration being allowed to run around the farm. It might get kicked by a horse or the dog might even chased some chickens. A lot of unexpected things might happened. I wish I could have that dog.
I don't even get the point.

Anywhooooo...thanks for all the advice, guys!

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 06-15-2010, 10:22 PM
Water Junkie

I thought I would give an update for those of you who gave advice. We had our lesson. The dog is smart as a whip, got the 'leave it' command in about 2-3 times. Was looking at me when I said her name and the recall was a breeze with the help of a long line. We worked on an 'off' command by having her get on the couch, then throwing a treat on the ground and saying 'off'. She wouldn't do this more than 2 times with each family member because she figured out that when she got up, she had to jump right back down.

Anyways, I had a really good time. I think I suprised myself at the answers I was giving and how easily they came out! LOL

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 06-16-2010, 10:18 AM
Top Dog

Sounds like she's really into working with you. Just a side note....when working with her on the "off" command, I recommend NOT tossing the treat first. This is bribery. LOL. Get her to get off first, then give her the treat/praise. When it's the other way around, dogs often will only respond when shown the treat first. If she only wants to do it a couple of times with each family member, make sure it's way cool (fun, lots of praise, super treats) for her to jump down when cued. Be sure and not treat her for jumping up....only a mild word of praise, (because getting on is probably a reinforcer in itself because it's comfortable) but yummy treats for getting off. She may be getting bored with too many repititions. The other thing you can do is whenever it's time to go for a walk, eat dinner or anything that's a natural reinforcer....if she's on the couch, use that opportunity to insert your "off" cue. "Off" then...."wanna go for a walk?" (then immediately take her out for a walk) "Hungry?" (immediately get her dinner) Whatever words are used. But precede those really cool things with the "off" cue. So, if you're going to do something she really loves anyhow, take advantage of it and precede it with a cue and task you're working on. Then she gets a wider variety of cool reinforcers and will get surprised by some...keeps the interest high.

It sounds like she's a whiz kid and enjoys learning. Keep up the good work!
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson