Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 05-31-2010, 12:42 PM
Maggiemae

Default Dogs fighting

I would really appreciate some advice about my 2 dogs. I have a 5 year old Lab and a Lab/mix we adopted last July form Humane Society. When we adopted her, she had passed all the tests of being great with other dogs. We didn't know it and she was very ill, she had distemper. It took 2 months for her to really be well and she is very jealous of our attention and of her food. We have always fed her away form our other dog and always love them both equally, but every once in awhile she will jump on our Lab. She did last week so badly that she had to have surgery. I can not let this happend again. My heart is broken. My lab is with my daughter until she is better, but I miss her terribly. I am the end of my rope and do not know what to do. It had been 4 months since they had had a fight and I really thought we had it under control. My Lab/mix had a terrible life until we rescued her. Please if anyone has any ideas I will try anything.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:00 PM
Top Dog

Where do the dogs sleep? If one of them is sleeping in your bed with you, this sends a message. If your dogs, one or both, sleep in your bed, kick her out. Some dogs simply are not good "bed" dogs.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:09 PM
Top Dog

I'd suggest hiring a good behaviorist to come in and see what the problems might be. Until then, I'd suggest keeping the dogs separate at all times, do not let them interract or even see each other, or you might have another incident. It's possible you'll have to rehome one of the dogs, but I wouldn't make that decision until you see what the behaviorist has to say. Good luck!
Old 05-31-2010, 09:25 PM
Felurian

I'll recommend a good behaviorist, too. Make sure you do NOT engage anyone who uses or recommends harsh training tactics, any kind of swatting, hitting, choking, etc., and if they start quoting Cesar Milan, show them the door.

Until you get it sorted out with competent help, I'd strongly suggest you use a crate and rotate system.

Also, write down everything you can think of that has happened that's led up to the fights. That will help a behaviorist help you figure it out.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 06-09-2010, 09:18 PM
Active Pup

I have a 2 yr old male white german shepherd and a 5 yr old male lab/husky mix, both of which I've had since young puppies. The german shepherd is mine, the lab is the hubbys. They've had their spats, but normally get along. I went in the hospital Jan. 10, '07 for 2 weeks for surgery, after I get home these 2 dogs begin fighting.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:26 PM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbernee View Post
I have a 2 yr old male white german shepherd and a 5 yr old male lab/husky mix, both of which I've had since young puppies. The german shepherd is mine, the lab is the hubbys. They've had their spats, but normally get along. I went in the hospital Jan. 10, '07 for 2 weeks for surgery, after I get home these 2 dogs begin fighting.
I'm confused here.

You say your GSD is 2 years old.

You went into the hospital January 10, 2007.

When you got home the two dogs started fighting.

But in January, 2007 your now 2 year old GSD would not even have been conceived.

Wouldn't that make it a little difficult for him to be involved in dog fights with your husband's Lab mix, who would, if he's 5 years old now, have been around 2 years old?

Crate training comes in handy when you have to keep two dogs who fight separated.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian