Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 09-21-2005, 05:48 PM
Rusty but Trusty

Default socializing a puppy in winter

I am getting a poodle puppy in a couple weeks and it worries me that it will be winter when her peek socialization time comes. How do you socialize a puppy when it is snowing and noone is outside?

Old 09-21-2005, 05:52 PM
GSDGurl

family and friends houses.Have a large Thanksgiving get together same as Christmas.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:55 PM
Rusty but Trusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Sheperd Gurl
family and friends houses.Have a large Thanksgiving get together same as Christmas.
I wish my life was that simple. Unfortunetely my parents HATE dogs with a passion (well actually they hate all animals). My husband's family likes animals I'll probably just take her with me everytime we go there. Although we live an hour away from all family and friends. We might just have to visit the in-laws more now !

Old 09-21-2005, 06:02 PM
GSDGurl

Invite his family over alot and taking her lots of places helps too.I live far from my family too.Except my mom.Go lots of safe places with Your Puppy in tow.As long as she is accepted where you go.
Old 09-21-2005, 06:21 PM
Top Dog

Don't worry about the cold. If you think it's super cold, you can put a coat on her, but I live in north Idaho where it gets super duper cold and I still take my dogs out and they're Chihuahuas and a Dobe. They're fine when we're exercising and if it's colder than about 15 F, I put their coats on. If it's below zero, we tend to stay indoors. LOL.

Anyhow, I got Lyric in Oct and was socializing him all winter. I live in a resort town which has only 600 yr. round residents. Winter time, much, much fewer. So I drove every other day to a small city about an hour away and went to places like Walmart, just outside their doors, the feed store, the vet's, sidewalks by the stores.....not too many people around though, but a few. I took him into the local bar. LOL. Every day I'd take him down to the little stores, hardware store, cafe and just poke in for a minute and people loved to squat down and pat him and give him a treat. We'd walk and occasionally run into someone. I had people over sometimes, a few people let me bring him to their house. So, you do what you can, but find somewhere there are a few people every day. And some friendly dogs who you know. Good luck!
Old 09-21-2005, 06:47 PM
Top Dog

what about puppy school or puppy day care?
Old 09-21-2005, 08:22 PM
Top Dog

Yes, that's a good idea. When he's all done with his puppy shots, a puppy obedience class is great! But, you still will want to socialize him to many different people and dogs. He'll get so he's comfortable with the same ones over and over but he needs the experience of as many different kinds of people, dogs, horses, objects, equipment, machines, vehicles, boats, water, trains, traffic, grates in the sidewalk, metal stairs, people with umbrellas, grocery carts, electonic doors, enviornments, ground surfaces etc as you can find. These exposures make for a well socialized, well adjusted, more fearless dog and that's a good thing.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:43 PM
Rusty but Trusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmydogs
what about puppy school or puppy day care?
we plan on putting her in puppy obedience classes after her shots are done. I still want to get her used to different people and situations so that if she sees a person with a cane she won't freak out. Our old pit mix HATED canes and my mother in law used one and he freaked out so bad and was growling at her that we know how important it is to get her used to things like that.

Old 09-22-2005, 02:04 PM
Top Dog

Good deal Julie. It sounds like you know first hand how important stuff like this is. He's going to be a great dog when he grows up.
Old 09-23-2005, 06:54 AM
Love my pets

Bring the puppy to Petsmart, Petco, and Home Depot. You're sure to gets lots of people of different ages to say hello and socialize.