Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 05-26-2010, 05:05 PM
Just try me..

But GO it said

Quote:
Threat to pets: The dark, warm environment of a pet***8217;s stomach acts as an oven and encourages the dough to continue rising. This can result in a bowel obstruction or a bloated or distended stomach.
so its claiming the dough is still rising in the stomach. The only reason bread rises is due to live yeast...
Old 05-26-2010, 11:14 PM
Thanks, and Gig 'em.

And again, the yeast is permeated throughout the dough. Stomach acid is incredibly strong stuff, but it still takes time to work through the physical barrier of a dough ball. The yeast on the inside would indeed continue to ferment the dough available to them while protected by the outter bits of dough.

Wish I still had access to HCl. Would like to do a little experiment to see just how quickly it dissolves dough.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, throughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --- 'WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!!!' " - Author Unknown
Old 05-27-2010, 01:00 AM
Top Dog

a dough ball only lasts a few minutes on a hook in WATER. basically a dog would have to eat an entire loaf of dough (maybe 2) WITHOUT chewing it into smaller pieces to even be at risk. when i was about 6 i ate two whole uncooked rolls w/o suffering ill effects, so i'm pretty sure chewing mitigates a lot of the risk.
yeah, i'm still leaning toward junk science on this list.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:25 AM
Just try me..

I have put dough (and other things) in HCL for a grade 7 science fair project (my dad had a car battery business, lots of HCL around) now this was fairly small amounts but it almost instantly broke up.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:59 AM
Thanks, and Gig 'em.

Great, we'll say they got one thing wrong then.

I still don't think it's wrong though. I doubt she'd put it on the list if she hadn't seen it happen before. There's other stuff that could've readily taken its place. They may have the method wrong (the stomach acting as an oven) but I think the result is accurate.

Here it is in Merck:
Merck Veterinary Manual

And there's several other areas you can find it with just "bread dough + dog". Merck is the only credible site though (AKA not written by Joe).

Here's another interesting link, though from no specific source.
Quote:
Instead of using yeast he tried to raise bread with sodium bicarbonate and hydrochloric acid, with uncontrollable, dramatic and sometimes explosive results.
Yeasts & Raising Agents | Doves Farm

So let's assume the HCl kills off all the yeast in the stomach. The bread dough gets saturated with HCl and then the mound of dough is released into the duodenum and perforated with the bicarbonate that's normally used to neutralize the HCl left in the chyme. That would create the expansion, bloat, discomfort, and other symptoms.

Here's a bit more on the subject, and there's more if you take a gander around:
Quote:
In 1833 Justus von Liebig had the groundbreaking idea: He used baking soda (Sodium Bicarbonate, Sodium Hydrogen Carbonate, NaHCO3) instead of yeast for the bread dough and employed Hydrochloric Acid to release the Carbonic Acid. The effect was amazing: The gaseous Carbonic Acid (Carbon Dioxide, CO2) loosened the bread dough just as well as the fermentation gases of the previously applied yeast* but without losing any flour. Justus von Liebig had thus discovered the chemical principle of baking powder.
History - BASF Group

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, throughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --- 'WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!!!' " - Author Unknown

Last edited by GlassOnion; 05-27-2010 at 10:25 AM.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:12 PM
Aroooooo!

I think they explained the information pretty well.

And you guys dont buy the 'safe" list? Ice cubes? really?

There are blueberries in a LOT of high end dog foods too.

I liked the article.

"Be it through intention or ignorance, our successes and our failures have been brought on by none other than ourselves." The art of racing in the rain.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:58 PM
Top Dog

just saying the information wasn't the best & pointing out weaknesses.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:36 PM
Active Pup

Hi I'm new here and glad that I found this place cause I'm loving the responses.

Have to say that I really question the fat issue though. I'm thinking that dogs in the wild ate their fair share of fat along with the red meat and fur of their prey.

And the veggies? Well I agree nobody recommended them as a diet, just that their safe to eat.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:42 PM
Thanks, and Gig 'em.

Quote:
Have to say that I really question the fat issue though. I'm thinking that dogs in the wild ate their fair share of fat along with the red meat and fur of their prey.
Different life styles. Wolves don't get to eat every day and are much more active.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:07 PM
Puppy Dog

Default No avocados!

In this thread CharlieDog listed vegetables including avocados.

Avocados are poisonous to dogs. They contain persin. All parts of the avocado plant contain persin. (Though the avocado/soybean extract, ASU, which is in Dasuquin does not contain persin.)

There is some evidence that a small amount of "approved" vegetables, are good for your dog, particularly when they are senior. There is a study (the reference escapes me at the moment) that showed addition of a small amount of vegetable and mental stimulation improved both health and longevity. I do remember the vegetable addition included pumpkin and tomato powder, forget what else.

Dogs in the wild besides eating grass would have got vegetable matter from eating intestines of herbivores. Dogs and coyotes will eat some intestine from a fresh(ish) kill.

One reason fatty foods are discouraged is due to the fact that some dogs are susceptible to pancreatitis.

Check out Dog Health Doc for health and well being info