Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 12-02-2015, 08:46 PM
Active Pup

Lightbulb Tips for a New Puppy? Intact Male

We got a new puppy yesterday, a 6-8 week male. I've owned a dog one time before but it was a female and it was a toy poodle. Our new puppy is a mutt, never saw the sire. Anyway, I've never owned an intact male and I was wondering if anyone has any tips before he gets big enough to realize he has his stuff XD
What's good ways to train him not to mount or mark? Is there a specific age or ages that they get especially...frisky?
Thanks for anyone who can give me some tips
Old 12-02-2015, 09:05 PM
orange iguanas.

Are you planning on keeping him intact long term or are you planning to neuter? You've got a while to go before worrying about any hormone related behaviors starting, my male is 6.5 months old and still intact but so far has not exhibited any "male dog" behaviors.

He's the 1st male I've owned though so that's about as much experience as I have...

Juno CGC 2009 :: Sawyer 2015 :: Cajun CGC 2013 :: Lucy 2006
Run free, Molly :: Happy
Old 12-02-2015, 09:27 PM
Top Dog

My male started to show some male behaviors (mostly humping toys or pillows, which he was fairly easily distracted from) around 8 or 9 months, if I recall correctly. The chattering and obsessing over spots on the ground started a month or two after that. Mine was going to be neutered eventually anyway, so that wound up being when I had it done.

Inappropriate marking never showed up for us, thankfully.

Gusto APD PJM PRM PKM NAJ
PDCH Random Rescue Meg PKCH-Silver PSCH-Bronze PJCH-Bronze AXJ OA CL3 CGC
Old 12-02-2015, 11:01 PM
Top Dog

Glitch is 10 months and has just hit the gross stage. Some humping of other dogs at daycare, which he is easily distracted from. He does chatter about pee. He has attempted to mark in PetSmart and the vets office, but never in my home.

Gimmick is 2.5 years and I'm still waiting for puberty to hit. He's a gentle little flower.

ResQ 99 Problems but a Glitch Ain't One "Glitch"
ResQ Opening Night Jitters "Gambit"
ResQ Something Whippet This Way Comes "Gimmick"
"Just Remember, Baby: When Life Gives You Lemons, Tuck 'em!" Marbles, Bobs Burgers
Old 12-03-2015, 02:15 AM
Top Dog

Pilot is precocious, he was gross by 5 months
Old 12-05-2015, 05:38 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Abrams never humped or did most gross boy things. He didn't even lift his leg to pee until he was around 6-8 months. He started teeth chattering and drooling and being gross around girl dogs' pee around a year and some change? He never tried to mark indoors anywhere, honestly, even in new environments. Outdoors was a different story. Haha

I just got him neutered at about 2.5 years old because he started marking in the garage and on new furniture in the house and I was NOT going to let that become a habit.

Old 12-05-2015, 10:48 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

I've found it varies from dog to dog.

Stryder, neutered at 2.5, will pee on anything and everything outside. He'll try to mark inside pet stores. Caught him once lifting his leg on something in the house at 8 months and we had a nice chat, and he's never attempted since. He will do the teeth chattering over the girls pee sometimes and every now and again tries to make babies with Nimbus (spayed).

Lincoln, neutered at 13 months has never tried to mark, isn't a mark-a-holic outside, and half the time pees like a girl.

Ollie, neutered at 9 weeks, still leans to pee, other than some humping while playing neither him or Lincoln do any of the gross boy stuff.