Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 05-25-2010, 03:12 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbecca View Post
Midwest is coming out with an addition for the CN in August.

There are NOOOOO cages near me.

And someone on goosemoose was selling a used Ferret Nation that already had hardware cloth over the bars (because the spacing is too wide for babies and for girls), and he told me "No, your new rats will be getting a new cage."

Ok.
That's fine by me!
Oh oh! I'm telling Matt about the addition when I get home...I already told him that if it comes out I NEED to buy it.

I had to order our CN off Petsmart. They had free shipping for all orders over $60 but I dunno if that's still going.

And yeah I looked at used cages but I wanted nice new and shiny....lol. I'm currently trying to figure out a way to rat proof one of our rooms so they can run around in it. I think it's going to involve rearranging the furniture. Yuck.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 05-25-2010, 03:14 PM
feel the magic

Yeah, it would have been cheaper for you in the beginning to just buy a double CN, but at least now you can have a double CN without having to go out and buy an entire whole new cage!!!

It's going to cost somewhere around $160 for the addition.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:20 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbecca View Post
It's going to cost somewhere around $160 for the addition.
Ok maybe we won't get an addition. Lol.

Last night with Sprocket went better. I got them both out and put them in a large plastic tub we have and he did fine. I really need to rat proof a room for them though because he rather desperately wants to run all over everything. He can jump ridiculously high too which means I have to watch the little booger every second he's in the tub. I'm gonna keep an eye on him and if he keeps being aggressive I will probably get him neutered.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:38 PM
Blue_Dog

Just want to add that I agree that neuter maybe in order.

As for the CN/FN cages they are awesome. I had a double level FN for my girls and it was the best cage I ever had. Much easier to clean then cages such as the martins. Martins cages are so customizable that you can get what ever you need really, though.

As for a rat proofing, have you ever thought of making Coroplast walls? Quote from the Rat Shack forum:
Quote:
I have my rats in the dining room and let them out there to play. But at one time I used coroplast to make a type of pen like you describe. Coroplast is a flexible corrugated plastic. I can buy them in 8 x 4 sheets and cut to size. Works great and very easy to put away. I attach the panels together using zipties.

Old 05-26-2010, 01:39 PM
Top Dog

I was thinking about doing coroplast! We were using packing boxes but they are PITA to put up and we don't really have enough room where we're trying to do it. Aaaand I think if Sprocket figures out he can bend the top of the box over he will not be in confinement for long and that would be a big problem. Hmmm. Maybe I'll check prices on coroplast later. Thanks blue!

Old 05-27-2010, 12:28 PM
Blue_Dog

No problem! C= Just promise some pictures of them? *pokes*
Old 05-27-2010, 01:01 PM
feel the magic

See, I think CNs look better than Martin's, but from what I've been told on goosemoose, Martin's are by far MUCH easier to clean for a FULL cleaning.
You can pick up Martin's and carry it to your tub and use the shower head to wash off any ickies.
But you cannot do that with CNs or FNs.
And I don't think that if I pay over $200 for a cage, that I should then have to go out and buy a can of rustoleum to assure my cage won't rust.
THEN I have to go spend a ton more on Bass pans if I don't want to have to use fleece for bedding.
Then after I buy a bass pan, I have to find someone locally who can paint it for me.
ICK.
So not worth my time.
Though the cages DO look considerably better and sturdier (but it's not like martin's cages AREN'T sturdy).
Old 05-27-2010, 08:22 PM
Blue_Dog

I only did a full scrub down 2-4 times a year, besides that the FN was fine to just wipe down with a warm, soapy cloth.
The pans, shelves and even the door can come off easily for an easy wash too.
My FN showed no signs or rusting nor have I ever heard of this being a problem.
When I got annoyed with using fleece I would juts put yesterdays news cat litter in their litter pans and just wipe down the cases and shelves every day. It took all of five minutes to do. Shavings are pain in the butt, no matter the cage.
The cage is easier to clean, wipe down and access the rats because the doors open right up.
I had a super pet cage before and not having the nice-wide doors made it harder to clean. :/
Old 05-27-2010, 08:51 PM
feel the magic

Martin's now come with really BIG doors, though.
Granted they don't open AS wide as a CN, but they're pretty big!

Yeah, apparently a lot of people have been complaining that their CNs are rusting from when they hose them down.
And the shallow pans are too much if you don't want to line with fleece.

I plan to get boys, and boys can be nasty (not as nasty as boy mice, though), and lining with fleece is not what I want to do.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:21 AM
orange iguanas.

See I like the look of the FNs but I'll probably always be a Martins person. I'm impressed with any cage that still looks brand new after 6 years lol (and 4 of those years were spent sitting out in the garage!). I don't have a problem with cleaning but I have a "smaller" model so there aren't as many nooks and crannies. The door on the bottom level isn't BIG because it's an older model, but it's big enough that I can reach everything. And the entire top of the cage flips open so I have access to the top floor... works for me! Once a month I bring it outside for a thorough scrubbing, I'm able to haul it out myself and I'm small... lol. I think my only complaint is that the bar spacing is too small so I can't use binder clips to hold the fleece down, but my girls aren't that bad about moving things around and having to fix a pulled up corner once in a while isn't a big deal.

As far as the original question, I have nothing new to add to that! When I had boys, they could be pretty feisty with each other but luckily it never escalated to a point where I thought a neuter was in order. When I thought they were getting too rough with each other, I would just put them in separate cages for a little while.... it probably didn't help anything but it made me feel better.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013