Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 05-25-2010, 11:26 AM
Top Dog

Default Rattie question

The boys have settled in pretty well and we're getting more comfortable handling them (since we've never had rodents before). They are still having little dominance wars with each other but Sprocket seems to win most of them. Last night I was cleaning out the cage which seems to simultaneously freak them out and hype them up. Sprocket started running around and sniffing things all crazy like and then jumped on Cogswell and started biting him (and possibly humping him). Cogswell was squeaking so I poked Sprocket and he leaped off. Then (important part lol) I reached in to push him a little farther away from Cogswell and when I touched him he went all stilt legged and started huffing at me. I took my hand back out and left him alone but he kept hovering around the edges of the cage like he wanted to jump out and then going all stilt legged when I moved him back.

Is that aggression? And do you think it's hormone based (he's about 10 months) or something else? It kind of freaked me out because he's usually really calm and laid back but I really thought he was going to bite me. I can't get to goosemoose from here and I checked a different forum but can't really find anything. Cogswell seemed fine afterward but I put him in my hoodie pocket for awhile so Sprocket could chill out. Halp?

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 05-25-2010, 12:20 PM
feel the magic

I don't have an answer to your question, but do you want me to post your question on goosemoose?

By stilt-legged do you mean he stands on his hind legs?
Old 05-25-2010, 12:27 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbecca View Post
I don't have an answer to your question, but do you want me to post your question on goosemoose?

By stilt-legged do you mean he stands on his hind legs?
If you could that would be awesome!! By stilt legged I mean his legs go very straight and he sort of sidles around. It looks like his legs aren't bendy anymore. It's very odd and that's not much of a better description but it's all I've got lol. He actually raises himself off the ground and walks around like that for awhile, very tensed up. Like....hydraulics in rat form lol.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:42 PM
feel the magic

OK, are you unable to reach goosemoose right now due to work or school?
Will you be able to get on it later?
Old 05-25-2010, 01:14 PM
Top Dog

I can access it from home, but I'm at work and they block all the good stuff (except Chaz )

Old 05-25-2010, 02:21 PM
feel the magic

I posted by quoting your post here, and even quoted you telling me what you meant by stilt-legged.
And this is a reply I got:
Quote:
If she's talking about him standing very straight-legged with his back arched and walking/skittering side-ways, then yes it is a sign of aggression. At 10 months hormonal aggression is a definite possibility. I'm assuming from the wording on her post that she hasn't had them very long? They may just still be settling in--but that may also mean they are getting a bit territorial over the cage.

If it was me, I'd give them another 2 weeks or so to settle in and if she's still seeing that behavior OR if he draws blood on either her or his cage-mate, take him in for a neuter.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:37 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbecca View Post
I posted by quoting your post here, and even quoted you telling me what you meant by stilt-legged.
And this is a reply I got:
Thank you for posting that for me! Their description is much better than mine and it's very accurate. We've had them for almost a month now so I'd think they'd be fairly settled in. I was thinking that if it continues we could neuter but I'm fairly convinced (due to the humping) that it's hormones. Can you PM me the link to that thread and I'll check it when I get home? Maybe I'll finally register on goosemoose too so I can post my own questions instead of lurking lol.

ETA: Rereading my post I realized that even if it is hormones we may have to neuter. Do you think that's something I would have to discuss with the breeder? There's nothing in the contract about it.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:43 PM
feel the magic

Here's the thread:
Goosemoose Pet Portal - Odd-ish behavior

And you should DEFINITELY register there! I thought you had already!
I don't even own rats yet, and I'm a member there!

They're soooo helpful, and I ask questions ALL THE TIME.

In fact, I've been spending a lot of my time there in the cage area because I was GOING TO get a double Critter Nation, but there have been people lately complaining about their CNs rusting when they hose them off (as it's next to impossible to get between each bar to dry it off), and it has put me off on getting a CN.
So, now I'm looking into a Martin's R-695 for my three future boys.
The CNs DO look more attractive, but the Martin's are more affordable and, I think, make better use of space than the CNs do.
And since they are so affordable, I can simply just get another cage if I ever decide to add more rats to my family.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:57 PM
Top Dog

I lurk there a lot. Lol. I would be registered if I could access it from work because that's really the only time I post.

People hose their CN's down?? Ours is freaking heavy and it's on the second floor so I just wipe it down. Really the only part that gets icky is the ramp leading up to the second level. The floors are covered in fleece and the only time they climb the bars is when I have the second level or the ramp out. I think if we ever have to get a second cage we'll go with a Martins though, and that's solely because of price. UNLESS they come out with the adapter kit for a two level CN lol. Oh and I don't know where you're located but here there are TONS of cages on craigslist. I see about four a week and some of them do look like Martins. I'm having a very hard time resisting lol.

Old 05-25-2010, 03:05 PM
feel the magic

Midwest is coming out with an addition for the CN in August.

There are NOOOOO cages near me.

And someone on goosemoose was selling a used Ferret Nation that already had hardware cloth over the bars (because the spacing is too wide for babies and for girls), and he told me "No, your new rats will be getting a new cage."

Ok.
That's fine by me!