Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 09-23-2005, 12:25 PM
Top Dog

My pound has an older poodle right now. Looks big to me. Definately needs groomed though. http://www.loraincounty.us/website/index.asp?webpageid={ACC7C3DA-99C1-4EE0-B8E9-9AA9E3A1218B}
copy and paste the link

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber
Old 09-23-2005, 01:55 PM
BlackDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by yentna
I'm a new member (obviously), My BF is allergic, so we need a dog that doesn't shed, but also can handle backcountry skiing with us, so we've chosen the goldendoodle.
Expect to find mixed results with mixed breed dogs. The only garentee they have is a high price. There are many established purebred breeds out there that have those characteristics you want. And most of them cost less than the Goldendoodles I've seen. Plus they are usually healthier, depending of who you buy from, have better temperaments, and are easiler to come by.
Old 09-23-2005, 07:20 PM
Top Dog

When people first heard I was getting a standard poodle I was on the receiving end of alot of groans and whatnot about why would I want a wussy dog like a poodle, etc., etc.!

Then I got Farley and all those same people were so surprised to see that he was in fact a "regular" dog who loved to retrieve, swim, romp & play. Then 2 yrs later we added Chloe to our family. In fact my brother, 6'3", 250+# now wants a standard poodle of his own!

This breed is a pure joy and I have no doubt one would happily keep up with you & your boyfriend's activities. They are also a pleasure to train - out of all the dogs I have had over the past 40+ years they have been the easiest.
Old 09-23-2005, 09:42 PM
Top Dog

And not surprisingly when they updated the site today he was already gone I've seen them in my shelter and the pound quite often. I think there must be a bad brreder around here because I've always heard they are hard to find. Poor doggies.

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber
Old 09-25-2005, 03:16 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by joce
And not surprisingly when they updated the site today he was already gone I've seen them in my shelter and the pound quite often. I think there must be a bad brreder around here because I've always heard they are hard to find. Poor doggies.
So sad - I just got home a bit ago, went to look at that link, and you're right, he's gone. Oh well, we've applied to adopt that doodle puppy, see if we get approved or not. If not, we'll keep looking, probably for a standard poodle. Grin.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:12 PM
Big Dog

So we applied to adopt the Goldendoodle puppy, Cooper, from a rescue, but haven't heard anything at all in two weeks. What's the etiquette? I emailed them again but did not get a response, though my first email inquiring about the dog resulted in an immediate response (telling me thanks for my thoughtful inquiry, but they couldn't talk about him to me until they had an application).

Two other rescues we looked at, for other dogs, were very prompt in their responses, one even approving us after a few days, but we want this dog! It's frustrating. Is it a sign that they aren't on top of things to not even get a "we've got your application, give us x amount of time to review it"?

http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?act...mpl=&stat=
Old 10-05-2005, 04:46 PM
Twin 2.0

Keep in mind that most if not all rescues are run by volunteers who have their own full-time jobs and families to deal with. Plus there's probably a mountain of applications on top of yours to dig through. I would give them one more week and then send a very polite "I hadn't heard anything, so I was wondering..." email.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:51 PM
Top Dog

I would email them now. Worst thing it will do is show them how much you want that pup!
Old 10-05-2005, 05:08 PM
Big Dog

True, and we really really do want that pup! I keep having dreams about him and about dogs....i.e. dreams where a little girl is promised a puppy for Christmas, then tries to hide her tears when she opens the box and it's a puzzle, while trying to thank the evil aunt that went back on her word. Crazy, no?

Well, I emailed them, and if I haven't heard anything by next monday will email them again. The phone doesn't go to people, but each option to a voicemail, so I'll stay away from that for a while. We are just worried that by the time they get to our application, he'll be adopted (good for him, bad for us).
Old 10-05-2005, 06:37 PM
Top Dog

Why would a puppy be in rescue ??