Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 09-22-2005, 02:34 PM
Twin 2.0

I vote Onyx, because Lexie is a very common name and you don't want your dog getting confused with everyone elses, now do you?

Who needs sleep?

CrazyDog Photography CrazyDog on Facebook
Scent Sweet Home--Scentsy Wickless Candles Follow me!-Fall/Winter 2013 catalogs available!
Have Aussie, Will Travel--A Blog updated 5/26/12

Thanks Alliemackie!
Old 09-22-2005, 02:42 PM
Rusty but Trusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom
I vote Onyx, because Lexie is a very common name and you don't want your dog getting confused with everyone elses, now do you?
no, I don't. We are looking for a name that isn't all that common because we like our dogs to be...unique. Like I still to this day haven't heard of another dog named Hannah (not to say there isn't one) and when people find out her name they are just like "why on earth did you name her that?"

Old 09-22-2005, 02:49 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzilex
Have you thought of a giant schnauzer they are great dogs very energetic and versatile they don't moult and are recomended as hypoallergenic.Ithink one of these would fit your bill nicely. They are used as police dogs in Germany.Also Russian Blacks are good too.
Sue
Hmm, hadn't really considered a giant schnauzer, I'll have to look them up. Russian Blacks? I've never heard of them.

Also, has anyone had a dog with diabetes?
Old 09-22-2005, 02:55 PM
Rusty but Trusty

I never heard a lot about it. I have heard it is quite costly to treat at the beginning while they are trying to figure out the correct doseage of whatever medicine is administered.

Old 09-22-2005, 02:58 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Schnauzer Club of America
A surprising number of people say they're inter*ested in Giants because some member of the family (usually a child) is "allergic to dog hair", but they've been told that "Schnauzers and Poodles don't shed, so there's no problem". Such breed promotion to the con*trary, the idea that Giants never shed and therefore are non***8209;allergenic is an unfortunate myth, without medical or scientific basis. While regular stripping and plucking can reduce to a minimum hair shed by the well-*groomed Giant on clothes and furniture, an experienc*ed breeder***8209;owner gives a more forthright picture: "If Giants don't shed, where do all those little heaps of black hair come from that accumulate in the unswept corners of my house?" A check with an allergist con*firms that the usual "allergic to dogs" reaction is not breed***8209;specific. So if there's an allergy problem and your kid sneezed and broke out in hives until you got rid of your gundog or German Shepherd, don't look to the Giant Schnauzer as some kind of miraculous excep*tion.
http://www.giantschnauzerclubofameri...bout-breed.htm

Sigh, no go there. They are beautiful though! And I like the protective part for sure.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:58 PM
Twin 2.0

It will require much more care than the average dog and there are some boarding places that won't take a diabetic dog because of all the things that can happen. Insulin levels need to be monitored, shots given, food prepared...it can be done, but it's a lot more work, and there is the increased risk of blindness and seizures.

Who needs sleep?

CrazyDog Photography CrazyDog on Facebook
Scent Sweet Home--Scentsy Wickless Candles Follow me!-Fall/Winter 2013 catalogs available!
Have Aussie, Will Travel--A Blog updated 5/26/12

Thanks Alliemackie!
Old 09-22-2005, 03:00 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliefurry
I never heard a lot about it. I have heard it is quite costly to treat at the beginning while they are trying to figure out the correct doseage of whatever medicine is administered.
http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?act...=0&tmpl=&stat=

This puppy is just so cute, I emailed them for more information to see what they had to say about his activity level and so on. I have some experience giving dogs shots, but it's been awhile. I think he's probably got the dosage for his size figured out right now, but......I'm still just curious. I feel bad for him too, because what are his odds of getting adopted???? We probably won't adopt him either, but I figured it's worth the checking out.

Edit - oops, wrong linky.
Old 09-22-2005, 03:04 PM
Rusty but Trusty

it is definetely worth checking out. I mean if you have the time to administer shots he should be ok. Plus they'll probably show you how to do it at the shelter.

Old 09-22-2005, 07:57 PM
Quigleyfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by yentna
How does one tell if a doodle puppy will shed?
you won't know until the dog is fully grown and has its adult coat. that's the sad thing about this whole thing. people buy these dogs and have no guarantee, despite what the "breeder" claims. then the dog grows up, ends up with a coat that is not "hypoallergenic" (no such thing anyway) and what do people do? make a choice between living with allergies, or dumping the dog.

most doodle breeders only sell F1 crosses anyway, meaning the puppies resulting from breeding a poodle to a golden or lab, etc. - this is not even a "real" doodle, it's a fad crossbreed.

i wouldn't say that all breeders who breed goldendoodles or labradoodles are bad, unreputable folks, but a real doodle breeder does not just produce F1 crossbreeds, he (or she) will develop his "breed" by carefully planning a breeding program and breeding "doodle to doodle" down the line, until the dogs breed true in appearance, coat type etc.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 09-22-2005, 09:21 PM
Big Dog

Thanks Mordy and Julie, and everyone else. I do appreciate the time you've spent helping me...I think we're getting closer to a decision. Anyway, I'll be offline for the weekend, but please post any more advice or ideas, check out that puppy link I put up and let me know what you think, and so on. I'll be back on to see what you all have to say sunday night or monday morning. Cheers!