Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 09-21-2005, 05:12 PM
Twin 2.0

Make sure you ask why the breeders got into this, especially since it's a "new" breed and EXACTLY why they bred those two dogs together. "Well, one's a pretty poodle and the other is my long-time best friend's Golden" does not count as a good or acceptable answer. Did they do any health checking before the breeding? How much research did they put into the dog's bloodlines? What type of care have they given the bitch since being bred? Do they have a health guarantee, if so, for how long and will they unquestioningly take back any dog at any time for any reason?

Who needs sleep?

CrazyDog Photography CrazyDog on Facebook
Scent Sweet Home--Scentsy Wickless Candles Follow me!-Fall/Winter 2013 catalogs available!
Have Aussie, Will Travel--A Blog updated 5/26/12

Thanks Alliemackie!
Old 09-21-2005, 05:28 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by yentna
It's true that nothing is guaranteed, just trying to play the odds. Looking at the $400 - $500 range if we can find a reputable dealer, about the same as a decent retriever or shepherd, anything more is a rip off. Also depending on what type of dog we get.
You won't find a good breeder selling retrievers or shepherds so cheap. It's more like $800 usually, and doodles seem to be always more expensive.

In any case, here is a link about what makes a good breeder :

http://www.chazhound.com/forums/showthread.php?t=787
Old 09-21-2005, 05:51 PM
GSDGurl

Thats true my GSD was $1200 for Show-Breeding Quality.Her Pet Quality were $800
Old 09-21-2005, 07:47 PM
Top Dog

PLEASE don't pay that much for a mutt !!! The last I looked into getting a female to continue my line, The pups were $1000....I wanted the line, but would have to have a co-owner and show. If I had gotten a pet quality pup but with all checks etc..I would have had to have her spade.....That's when I gave it up.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:38 PM
yuckaduck

Do not buy from a backyard breeder, unless health and temperment mean nothing to you. Please you have gotten great advice here heed it!
Old 09-21-2005, 09:01 PM
Big Dog

I'm not going to buy from a backyard breeder, gosh. The advice has been good, we'll take it. In fact, the funny thing is that when I sent my BF to this thread, he emailed me "um...I'd like a standard poodle, I thought you didn't like them." Ironic, so maybe we'll get a standard now! Miscommunication of a funny sort. Plus your advice is helping push that way.....
Old 09-21-2005, 09:11 PM
GSDGurl

Standard Poodles are nice.If you dont like the typical Poodle clip you can get it done in a Puppy Cut instead lol.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:22 PM
Jerk.

Quote:
A family acquaintance in Alaska used to mush a team of poodles in the Iditarod until he got banned (appropriately I think, the dogs hair would freeze to the snow and pull out when on overnight trips).
I remember making fun of that guy everytime I heard about it on the radio. Not knowing that about the hair I allways thought it was unfair they didnt let him and his dogs compete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
Sometimes BOTH sides are just full of sh1t.
AKpostal
Blog?
MyDrunkAdmin
Old 09-21-2005, 09:31 PM
yuckaduck

Quote:
I'm not going to buy from a backyard breeder, gosh. The advice has been good, we'll take it. In fact, the funny thing is that when I sent my BF to this thread, he emailed me "um...I'd like a standard poodle, I thought you didn't like them." Ironic, so maybe we'll get a standard now! Miscommunication of a funny sort. Plus your advice is helping push that way.....
Very good to hear and good luck, keep us posted. Lots of pictures please.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:37 PM
Twin 2.0

Hey good deal! And in my own personal opinion, I like the puppy cut much better in general anyway. A little pouf on the top of the head kind of keep the 'poodle' look, but it's a lot easier to keep care of.

Who needs sleep?

CrazyDog Photography CrazyDog on Facebook
Scent Sweet Home--Scentsy Wickless Candles Follow me!-Fall/Winter 2013 catalogs available!
Have Aussie, Will Travel--A Blog updated 5/26/12

Thanks Alliemackie!