Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 09-21-2005, 03:12 PM
GSDGurl

Theres also a Giant Snauzer,Airdale Terrier,and others also.A portugese WAter Dog is a medium sixe dog same as a poodle.
Old 09-21-2005, 03:17 PM
no touchy

Why don't you check out www.petfinder.com. Maybe you could find a golden retriever/poodle mix there to adopt .
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 09-21-2005, 03:21 PM
Big Dog

I'm assuming he doesn't want to be tied to allergy shots since he talks negatively about them, but if he must, he must I guess.

How does one tell if a doodle puppy will shed? (I have no clue, obviously.) I've always had shedding dogs - huskies, shepherds, mutts, labs, etc.
Old 09-21-2005, 03:23 PM
Rusty but Trusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by yentna
He doesn't want to be tied to allergy shots, but if he must, he must.

How does one tell if a doodle puppy will shed? (I have no clue, obviously.) I've always had shedding dogs - huskies, shepherds, mutts, labs, etc.
I'm guessing what their coats look like as pups (I'm not too sure either). Probably the pups that have more of the curly poodle coat with be the ones that don't shed or shed little. While the pups with the longer retriever coats will be the ones that shed. That's a good question though.

Old 09-21-2005, 04:16 PM
yuckaduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliefurry
I'm guessing what their coats look like as pups (I'm not too sure either). Probably the pups that have more of the curly poodle coat with be the ones that don't shed or shed little. While the pups with the longer retriever coats will be the ones that shed. That's a good question though.

Poodles do shed, just not as much and their hair more wool like therefore less allergic.
Old 09-21-2005, 04:24 PM
Rusty but Trusty

they do shed but the fur is caught in their coats, which with daily brushing removes the fur that is trapped. They do shed a little but not enough to kill a person with allergies.

Old 09-21-2005, 04:37 PM
Big Dog

His allergies aren't that bad, it's more a problem with being miserable than with fear of death.
Old 09-21-2005, 04:47 PM
Top Dog

You've gotten some good advice here....remember, this mix isn't a recognized breed and like all breeds, nothing is guaranteed .... it's a BYB's dream to make money. If you do find a litter, make sure you pay mutt prices. Good luck !! Read up and buy a good puppy book ! Or, better yet, go to a shelter and see which one your BF's allegries don't re-act to !!

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 09-21-2005, 05:05 PM
Are you dead yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gempress
Goldendoodles, temperamentwise, are lovely dogs. But, like everyone else said, their hypo-allergenic qualities are NOT guaranteed. They are just as likely to be like heavy-shedding golden retrievers as they are non-shedding poodles. It's just like with humans: just because your dad has brown hair doesn't mean that you will too.

Go with a purebred standard poodle. Poodles were originally bred as hunting retrievers, so despite their pampered appearance, they are actually great at outdoor activities. And that way, the non-shedding trait will be guaranteed.
Very well put. I agree completely.

And Yuckaduck, poodles shed within their coat. Hair doesn't fall off of them, it has to be brushed out.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:09 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatd
You've gotten some good advice here....remember, this mix isn't a recognized breed and like all breeds, nothing is guaranteed .... it's a BYB's dream to make money. If you do find a litter, make sure you pay mutt prices. Good luck !! Read up and buy a good puppy book ! Or, better yet, go to a shelter and see which one your BF's allegries don't re-act to !!
It's true that nothing is guaranteed, just trying to play the odds. Looking at the $400 - $500 range if we can find a reputable dealer, about the same as a decent retriever or shepherd, anything more is a rip off. Also depending on what type of dog we get.

And yes, gotten lots of advice, thanks heaps, I think we'll have to frequent this board more often!