Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 05-18-2010, 07:23 PM
and Spy.

Default Opinions

Dizine Canine Pet Dog Training

Well, what do ya all think? Apparently she holds classes to help dogs pass their CGN, which is what I am interested in. Obviously we just get a glimpse into her methods but I really liked this:

"Shelagh has attended seminars of well known trainers such as Dr. Ian Dunbar, Terry Ryan, Jean Donaldson, and Patricia McConnell, and continues her education at every opportunity. "

So yeah, what do you all think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:06 PM
orange iguanas.

Everything on the website looks fine. I don't think it ever comes out and specifies any of the methods that she uses but I suppose if she's attending seminars like that, then she's at least pretty open to positive reinforcement. At the very least, I'm certainly not getting the vibe that she's a jerk around, dominance-based trainer.

Of course, only way to know for sure would be to get in touch and ask about it!

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 05-18-2010, 10:25 PM
Water Junkie

Em, with those training seminars and you're asking? If I could, I would definitely be checking it out! You could potentially be in for a great class/learning experience.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 05-18-2010, 11:13 PM
and Spy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizmo View Post
Em, with those training seminars and you're asking? If I could, I would definitely be checking it out! You could potentially be in for a great class/learning experience.
Hehe yeah that's what I was thinking I'll be honesty, I am pretty set on checking the classes out, I was posting more because I am excited! I've been searchign endlessly for classes aimed the CGN so I am thrilled. I am waiting for an email back from her

Wish me luck!

Quote:
Quote:
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:14 AM
petperson

Sounds like a good bet. She's obviously knowledgeable about positive training, judging by the seminars she chooses to attend.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:39 AM
Top Dog

how about go and watch some classes, see the dogs, and see their own dogs. you know a good trainer when you see the dogs, anybody can drop names and talk.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:08 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
how about go and watch some classes, see the dogs, and see their own dogs. you know a good trainer when you see the dogs, anybody can drop names and talk.
I do agree with this. Just because someone has attended a seminar doesn't mean they agree with everything that was said. I have a friend who read Click to Calm AND went to the same Emma Parsons seminar I attended, and still doesn't have a clue what to do for reactive dogs.

I would definately stay a little cautious about this trainer - particularly because the website doesn't really spell out what kind of methods she uses - and attend a class to see what she's like before spending any money.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:23 AM
and Spy.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I am still waiting on a reply (does anyone notice a lot of dog people don't respond to emails?) but will definitely request to sit in on a class. Thanks!

Quote:
Quote: