Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 05-23-2011, 10:51 PM
On second thought...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post
Very true! Actually IME it's far easier to find breeders of common breeds that are ideal for you since you have way more to choose from. And having a rare breed doesn't automatically mean the breeder is knowledgeable or breeding great examples of the breed. The more rare a breed is, the less picky you get to be about certain things.
This reminds me of when I was looking for a Chow breeder a few years back. There are certain "extras" I wanted with the breeder I was considering buying from. I wanted the dogs to be breed standard with no exaggerated features. I don't like the looks of the Chows that have extreme folds around their eyes. Chows have limited peripheral vision because of the average/normal folds, why exaggerate them until the dog can't even see? I also wanted the breeder and dogs to participate in some other activity, such as agility, obedience, pulling, whatever. It didn't matter to me if they were successful at it, but that the dogs did more than just show.

Leaves some significantly smaller options,