Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 05-14-2010, 04:20 PM
Top Dog

only met one. it was typical in personality. nice dogs if you want something in that energy level & protectiveness that doesn't look like a tough dog to the average idiot.
Old 05-14-2010, 04:32 PM
The Littlest Hound

I grew up down the block from one - I thought it was a gorilla being walked on a leash (from a distance) the first time I saw her In my defense, I was like 5...

She was pretty low-key, but I think she was a little older... well-behaved, lovingly tolerated the antics of me and my friends, as we loved her dearly... otherwise she just kind of seemed uninterested in new people.

The Plotts:
UKC GRCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Liz
CCH 'PR' Jebb's Bayou Rage CA

And the "off-colored" hounds:
Daisy Duke Garrett CGC, RA & my <3 dog (basset)

Very Missed:
UKC GRCH CCH 'PR' Skyplott Teddy Bearhug
UKC CH CCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Irresistible You
'PR' Dead River K-N-A Swagger - the BAD puppy!
(and Autumn, the feist.)
Old 05-14-2010, 04:39 PM
Top Dog

I know a guy who breeds them. He's got lines out of KNPV (Dutch police) stock. They are tough, hard dogs. The male is completely unapproachable by anyone but him, but that's what he wants.

They sure as heck don't look like the blow dried one in the first pic. Like the article that was linked, they look like shaggy farm dogs. His male has more of a wire coat, while the female has a softer looking coat. They are both smaller, the male is around 80lbs and the female around 70ish.

Here's a couple pics from his site:
Male:

Female:

Yeah, I'm one of them too.
Old 05-14-2010, 04:50 PM
Top Dog

those are the bouv's i'm used to seeing, well as used to them as I can be with the few I see. KNPV lines as well, but not for me.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:10 PM
Twin 2.0

Wow, that male doesn't look anything like the Bouvs I've met or seen! I guess I'm too used to seeing them fluffed up, but even his structure looks different? The female looks closer, but I'm guessing she had a brushing or something.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:28 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

The male looks alot like my male not as stocky, and longer and natural tail lol. It looks like the male was shaved and then his hair was growing out. We shave out bouves in the summer.

But my female looks alot like the female picture more compact, deep chest.

The female also has a longer, grown out coat so that might make then look different.

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 05-14-2010, 09:33 PM
Obey the Toad.

My only experience is with a mix. My dad's neighbor had an intact male bouv and my dad had an intact female malamute, and neither were terribly responsible and the result was some very strange looking pups, lol. My dad kept one, "Sugar." She was never a house dog, always tethered outside. She ended living out with my horse. She was a good watch dog but friendly with us and GREAT with my horse. She was a pretty effective hunter too. That dog regular killed full grown raccoons and ground hogs while tethered.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 05-16-2010, 01:53 PM
Big Dog

I've only seen a couple. I worked at a kennel back in HS and we had one come in all the time. She was super layed back. I researched the breed before deciding on the Giant Schnauzer.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:31 PM
Top Dog

My first husband had a friend who bred, showed, and trained Bouvs. He had a group that he rented at night as guard dogs to various businesses (otherwise were house dogs). As a wedding gift, we were given a two year old untrained dog with a "terrier", or working coat. This was over thirty years ago and these dogs were just coming into vogue in Detroit as protection dogs. Our dog, Demon, having been left in a backyard by an associate, was not very confident, very shy. But, when he was put into bite work he destroyed the suit (which was guaranteed to withstand bite work).

I saw Bouvs of different sizes and colors, mostly black or gray, but a couple of yellow ones. They were generally very good around strangers. Some were higher drive, some laid back- any dog needs exercise and training. For a protection dog, I'd probably get a Bouv. As just a family pet, if I wanted a dog that size, yea, a Bouv would be a good dog
Old 05-24-2010, 12:51 AM
Big Dog

The handler that I work for has one. He's quite the escape artist. Very DA as well. He's the only one I have experience with though. He has a lot of energy for his age (i think. he's almost 8) I wouldn't own one just based on him. Although he doesn't have anxiety it just seems like he does, like really jittery and stuff. I also can't stand dogs that pant constantly.