Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 05-14-2010, 09:39 AM
Like a bat outa' hell

Default Bouvier De Flanders.

I own one, but has anyone else met one or has owned one?

What are your thoughts on the breed?

Just curious as I noticed they are not a very popular breed.

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 05-14-2010, 09:59 AM
Just try me..

Mafia Princess is still over at my house and too lazy to sign in. This is from her:

I really thought I wanted a Bouv... I like them, but after this article I doubt I want to actually own one. Don't Buy a Bouvierr

There are a few in local agility here. They do okay.. The teenager that runs them freely admits that they didn't really research and picked a breed based on looks and bought 2 of them. They lucked out. They are pretty low drive and not dying to work. I was looking at Bouvs *for* endless exercise personally..
Old 05-14-2010, 10:00 AM
Top Dog

I've worked a few. Very agile for their size. All of them were very quick, strong and pretty fast. Weren't balanced enough for me though tempermentally for the training we do. But i'm basing that on a pretty small sample size. They aren't terribly popular so you don't come across them very much.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:07 AM
Like a bat outa' hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
Mafia Princess is still over at my house and too lazy to sign in. This is from her:

I really thought I wanted a Bouv... I like them, but after this article I doubt I want to actually own one. Don't Buy a Bouvierr

There are a few in local agility here. They do okay.. The teenager that runs them freely admits that they didn't really research and picked a breed based on looks and bought 2 of them. They lucked out. They are pretty low drive and not dying to work. I was looking at Bouvs *for* endless exercise personally..

The highlighted part is a tad suprising for me because my bouv now and past Bouvs have been such high drive and very active and are always on the go. I find that they have a huge prey drive as well as they need a job. As a child we would hook Shadow up to a harness and a wagon and she would pull my brother and I around all day.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:21 AM
Tweleve Enthusiest

I've met a few. I like the breed a lot, but it can be difficult to find a good bouv. A good bouv is a lot of fun though. Someday I might own one, but I have a few other breeds on the list first and by the time I get there, I might not have the energy for one.

I love the "bouvier bounce".

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 05-14-2010, 10:28 AM
I'm All Ears

My first thought was 'Oh lord, the grooming' lol
Old 05-14-2010, 10:32 AM
Just try me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayleyMarie View Post
[/B]

The highlighted part is a tad suprising for me because my bouv now and past Bouvs have been such high drive and very active and are always on the go. I find that they have a huge prey drive as well as they need a job. As a child we would hook Shadow up to a harness and a wagon and she would pull my brother and I around all day.
I totally agree. I was REALLY curious about the family's choice of Bouvs.. we've talked on more than one occasion about their dogs. If they had been proper typical Bouvs this family would have a nightmare on their hands.

I just hope that people don't see her dogs and not do research into breeds. Though only seeing them at a trial you wouldn't know how easy going hers are.. but I've talked at length with her and they are pretty low drive and not typical.

The drive is what drew me to the breed..
Old 05-14-2010, 10:38 AM
Like a bat outa' hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
I totally agree. I was REALLY curious about the family's choice of Bouvs.. we've talked on more than one occasion about their dogs. If they had been proper typical Bouvs this family would have a nightmare on their hands.

I just hope that people don't see her dogs and not do research into breeds. Though only seeing them at a trial you wouldn't know how easy going hers are.. but I've talked at length with her and they are pretty low drive and not typical.

The drive is what drew me to the breed..
Yes, I hope so too because that would be total Havick and then some! A proper Bouve is a very intense dog.

They also have crazy herding instincts, which can be come a problem if you are not willing to deal with that because they are so big and can weigh over 100 pounds LOL!! Having a huge dog nipping at your heels is not fun

We would always take shadow to my grandparents who had cattle and she would herd and chase thoes cattle all day if we let her.

Old 05-14-2010, 03:52 PM
Puppy Dog

Hi!
IŽm the happy owner of a female Bouvier.
HereŽs a link to a post I once made about her.
http://www.chazhound.com/forums/t42695-2/#post549768
HereŽs a recentish photo of her.
http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/z...s/DSC05626.jpg
IŽll be glad to share my experiences about Bouviers with you!
Old 05-14-2010, 04:04 PM
Resident fainting goat

all I know is that if I got one, he would be named Mister Flanders lol

and I would style his bangs just like mine because that dog totally looks like me in the morning after im overdue for a haircut!! lol