Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 09-20-2005, 05:46 PM
Puppy Dog

Default Rottweiler

I know this topic had already probably been made before but i just have a few questions that i would really apreciate if some rottweiler owners could answer for me

1. are rottweilers good with people/ and children

2.are they easy to train

3. i was told that they never will turn on there on family unless they are constantly hit and abused is this true?

4. on a scale of 1 to 10 where would you rank there stength 1 being the lowest and ten being the highest.

thank you
Old 09-20-2005, 06:00 PM
Top Dog

I think they are wonderful dogs if well bred, well socialized from day one and have an owner who is dedicated to bring out their best . As to strength...goes back to the above. I see a 250 # man with work gloves on being dragged by his rottie...and an old lady with hers just trotting beside her daily.

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 09-20-2005, 06:04 PM
Walks into Mordor

1. yes, provided they're socialized well from a young age. Otherwise, they might have strong stranger aversion.

2. A bit stubborn at times, but definately trainable.

3. No dog, properly raised and bred by a good breeder, will ever "turn" on their owners. But, rotts can be "take-charge" dogs. If they think they can bully you into doing something they want, they won't hesitate to do it. Rotts need a confident owner, they're not for the mild-mannered.

4. About an 8. I'm not trying to be rude, but I can't help but wonder why you're asking this question. I hope you're not choosing dog breed based on its strength/power. That's not necessary unless you're planning on doing training or working that requires strength. For the average pet, other factors are much more important.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:39 PM
Top Dog

we have had 4 rotties in our whole life, and rotties that we had,
1.were always good with children, providing it gets the proper socialization, as every dog should get.
2.they are easy to train as long as you be the alpha in the pack. they're stubborn sometimes
3.i think any dog would bite even his owner, if he gets mistreated
4,.i dont know about the strangth, as magnum is very good on leash etc. but i would say very strong.
also rotties are like babies, they forget they're big dogs. they think they are chihuahuas. and have great desire to be with people and in our case, kids and other pets
Old 09-20-2005, 06:41 PM
Puppy Dog

About an 8. I'm not trying to be rude, but I can't help but wonder why you're asking this question. I hope you're not choosing dog breed based on its strength/power. That's not necessary unless you're planning on doing training or working that requires strength. For the average pet, other factors are much more important.

Yeah i take no offence to your question. and after posting i thought some people might question why i want to know.. well any ways the reason i want to know is because i really want a dog i could enter into weight pulling and i just wanted to know how much power i will have to deal with when the dog becomes fully grown you know becaue i heard they can be hard to handle sometimes becuase of there size.

but i agree with you 100%.. there are other areas that are more important thats why i posted questions 1,2 and 3
Old 09-20-2005, 06:43 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLover4
Yeah i take no offence to your question. and after posting i thought some people might question why i want to know.. well any ways the reason i want to know is because i really want a dog i could enter into weight pulling and i just wanted to know how much power i will have to deal with when the dog becomes fully grown you know becaue i heard they can be hard to handle sometimes becuase of there size.

but i agree with you 100%.. there are other areas that are more important thats why i posted questions 1 and 2
rotties orig. come from germany, and used to be butcher dogs. they would pull meat/cows/pigs/ for the butchers..so they are very strong..i thought u were talkin about pulling on leash
Old 09-20-2005, 06:46 PM
Puppy Dog

have any of your dogs ever been wierd around kids or people could you give me some examples
Old 09-20-2005, 06:55 PM
Top Dog

never been weird around kids. my little one could sit on him, pull his ears, which i am totally against, but caught her one day, and he just gets up and walks away. magnum is not a watch/guard dog. i wished he was, but i got people coming in the house, and all he wants, is to be petted. i wonder if there WAS a burglar, if he WOULD act differently. maybe. none of the 4 rotties we had, were any different. it's strange but they were all the same. but i noticed males are more lovable than females. the female would always want to be around my husband. the only time magnum barks is, if he is outside, and i am doing yard work, and i have to tie him out, cus he wants to be with me, and when a stranger walks by, he barks like crazy. i think it has something to do with him being tied out. not sure. but other than that. i have no problems temperment wise. rotties DO tend to get ear infections quite frequently though. at our local Dog pound they had to put a rottweiler too sleep because he was viscious, but i dont know any history about him.....hope this helps a little
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/rottweiler.htm
Old 09-20-2005, 06:57 PM
Top Dog

i also want to add that i have magnum from the local dog pound too. he was a stray. but i KNEW he had no mean bone in his body. i never raised him, i have only had him for a few months, and from day 1 he was a sweetie. the other ones we had we had all our lives, and they were no different
Old 09-20-2005, 07:13 PM
Puppy Dog

thanks for all this great info