Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-08-2010, 07:01 PM
and Fozzie B!

Quote:
9. What is the right way to discipline a dog?
Since dogs cannot reason like humans, they are not deliberately naughty, despite what many people might think. Instead, their behavior is always determined by either instinct or experience. A dog will do only what comes naturally or what it has learned through association; therefore, it is not productive (or even logical) for humans to get angry with a dog. Moreover, physical force is both inappropriate and counterproductive. This includes using your hands for correcting. Since dogs do not have hands, they find that form of discipline to be provocative and threatening. For this reason, dog owners should use their hands as little as possible when training, and when you do, dogs must always associate your hands with gentleness and pleasure. Because dogs learn from association, they will comprehend your message only if it is delivered in a timely manner. A correction must be issued at the precise moment the dog is either contemplating or actually doing something wrong. Sometimes it may be difficult to catch your dog in the act, but you can create situations that will cause a dog to misbehave and then correct it on the spot.
I find this paragraph amazing... as the BB trainers I know are allll about corrections, biteyhands, and so fourth. It's super hypocritical in and of itself. "Dogs shouldn't view your hands as a bad thing - but if you use your hands to give them a harsh collar correction, no biggy. Dogs aren't smart enough to associate your motion with the correction they get each time." D: duhhh

My top three would be:

1. Be the most pleasant, fun, trustworthy thing in your dog's universe. I want my dogs to love other people/dogs/things... and that is not obtainable if my dog fears me. I feel that corrections violate their trust in me; if they cannot trust me, who can they trust?
2. Recognize your dog's thresholds, and respect them. A shut down dog is not a happy dog or an obedient dog.
3. Cherish the little things. Don't sweat the small stuff. Don't even TRY to work with your dog if you're frustrated or pissy. So many people get too caught up in being the alpha, or training, or feeling in control, and they forget why they have a dog. Enjoy them! Have a sense of humor.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 05-08-2010, 08:03 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Built on what exactly? On saying that dogs don't understand English and aren't spiteful? As a dog trainer, somehow I just can't imagine being able to build a business if I were to tell people their dog can understand English...

A dog understanding "bird" "squirrel" "night squirrel" really isn't any more complex than a dog understanding "come" "down" "with me".
Old 05-09-2010, 09:04 AM
Let it be

Im pretty sure my dog has human like intelligence. I catch him doing things all the time when he thinks I am asleep on the couch that are just NOT dog like. Like jumping onto the counter, removing the lid off of a pot of rice and chicken, removing the chicken, silently inhailing it, putting the lid back on the pot and hoping down as quietly as possible. He may not understand English but that boy can problem solve. He observes everything and teaches himself to mimick it. It's frightening.