Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 05-01-2010, 10:52 PM
Training Pro =)

Thumbs up Powerful New Ways To Stop Your Dog From Barking Now!

Dogs love to bark. It's a perfectly natural thing in your canine to do, simply because it's normal for us people to speak.

The problem is when it gets out of hand. So the goal isn't to stop barking as much as it is to control excessive barking.

Why does your dog bark?

They are claiming their territory or are excited or even alerting you of danger. There are countless reasons why, including the fact that some seem to do it just for fun, so here is how you stop the dog from excessive barking.

Do not reward your dog for barking

1. Do not give attention by yelling or screaming when they bark. In case your dog is barking his head off outdoors, then you definitely let him in, this simply rewards and due to this fact reinforces the barking.

The Most Common Reason Dogs Bark Is For Attention Or To Demand Something

If you set up your self as your canine's chief in the owner-dog relationship you share, the sort of barking drawback will not occur. Within the process of training you may also form a strong bond collectively based on trust and mutual respect.

You can also train your dog the "Stop" or "Quiet" command to assist stop this annoying kind of drawback barking. When your canine is barking simply say "QUIET!" simultaneously you wave a tasty treat in front of your canine's nose. After you dog is quiet for a number of seconds you can then give him/her the treat. Finally you will solely have to say "QUIET!", with out the necessity for a treat.

One other proven method to assist cease your dog from barking for consideration is to simply ignore your dog. Your canine will little question turn into frustrated and bark a whole lot initially, however as soon as he realizes that it's not getting him anyplace, he will stop. Warning - this coaching method can be hard on the ears for some time! Do not forget that a dog's conduct that's not rewarded and reinforced will turn into less prevalent.

I know if you apply these tips you will get better results than you ever knew possible.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:47 AM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

LOL, to a very vocal dog, ignoring is not going to do anything to stop them barking.

I find the easiest way is to first teach the dog to bark on command. Then teach them an "enough" command to go along with it. It works very well for me.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:45 AM
Training Pro =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper View Post
LOL, to a very vocal dog, ignoring is not going to do anything to stop them barking.

I find the easiest way is to first teach the dog to bark on command. Then teach them an "enough" command to go along with it. It works very well for me.
Yup, the truth is one technique does not work for every dog. I am glad you have found the "enough" command to be useful. That is very similar to what I am trying to describe in the post.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:59 AM
Collies&Terriers, Oh My!

Quote:
If you set up your self as your canine's chief in the owner-dog relationship you share, the sort of barking drawback will not occur. Within the process of training you may also form a strong bond collectively based on trust and mutual respect.
So if my dogs bark at me while we are in the ring, they are lacking in training and don't trust or respect me? I always thought it was because she was a high drive herding dog ....

~Smooth Collies~

URO1 CH "Smidgen" RA,WW-RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)
URO2 CH "Dora" RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)

~American Hairless Terriers (coated)~
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "OE" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "Spud" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
Old 05-02-2010, 07:29 PM
Top Dog

Instead of yelling at my dog, I hold a treat up to his nose. He has to stop barking in order to sniff the treat. I say "hush" and give him the treat.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:17 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper View Post
No, but if your dog is demand-barking or barking for attention, it would work. It all depends on what he's barking at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maura View Post
Instead of yelling at my dog, I hold a treat up to his nose. He has to stop barking in order to sniff the treat. I say "hush" and give him the treat.
Isn't that pretty much exactly what the OP said?
Old 05-02-2010, 08:25 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
I wish that worked with Charlie. Barking and sniffing are two activities he can do simultaneously with almost everything else (including eat his dinner).

The only thing I have seen him do where barking is incompatible is drinking. And that's because he plunges his head totally underwater. But then I can't reinforce it because his ears are underwater too.

He's one of those dogs where barking is a rewarding activity by itself. I don't think there is a way to control it with him, aside from crating him when he gets too wound up until he settles down again.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:26 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
So...you present a treat while he's barking? And this teaches him what exactly?

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 05-03-2010, 09:21 AM
Tru evil has no pantyline

I generally find that sticking my head out the back door and bellowing "Shuddup" works well. LOL!

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/
Old 05-03-2010, 11:21 AM
Tweleve Enthusiest

With four herding dogs...living on 16 acres so we're out of earshot for the neighbors works well. They can bark all they want.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team