Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-28-2010, 12:09 AM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Default Urgent...need ideas for crate floor...

So Tyr is in this crate. You can see the floor of it is bars. It's great. Extremely Tyr proof.

Except for the bars on the floor. Tonight, he got a foot stuck. And he shrieked and he screamed and he blew anals and he pooped and he tried to spin which only made it worse.

When I got to the crate and got the door open, he knocked the door up and off the hinges . I reached for him to calm him and he bit my pinky (hurts like hell right now, but quite understandable and he actually showed serious restraint considering).

I then was trying to keep him from panicking while I panicked - wondering if his foot was going to come out, wondering what kind of mangled mess his foot would be...once he quieted down a bit, his foot came out on its own easily and no indication of injury - he immediately ran out of the crate and did laps around the house - but I'll have to see if it hurts later after his adrenaline wears out.

So. I desperately need ideas for something I can put in there to prevent this from happening again. And it has to be very chew proof. And easy to clean...he sometimes pees in his crate because of his SA.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 04-28-2010, 12:55 AM
Top Dog

You know, my first thought was a piece of marble/granite tile cut to size.... but I don't know how expensive this would be. With the polished surface so that it wouldn't be too hard to clean. But then it may be a bit slippery.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:07 AM
Top Dog

Do they offer any sort of solid metal floor for it? Or you could possibly get some metal cut to size and use that...possibly even weld it in place? Tile might be a good idea too. Possibly something slightly textured so there is some traction, but also not too textured that it's a pain to clean.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:24 AM
Love my pets

The ad says it has a steel tray for the bottom. Did he get his foot stuck on the sides of the crate? I'm confused.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:23 AM
petperson

The ad says it has a floor grate. Is that what he got his foot caught in? Is it removable? Call the manufacturer; they may have a suggestion.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:25 AM
petperson

BTW: Poor Tyr! So scary for the poor baby.

And poor CP! Has your heart moved out of your throat? Has your blood pressure gone back to normal? Have you taken something for the headache?

They only do these things to worry us.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:59 AM
<----Thanks Allie

If I were you, I would prob buy a piece of plywood cut to size and glue or tack some type of cheap laminate flooring(also cut to size) over it.

It's not exactly "chew proof", but I'm sure it would take him a while to destroy it... and both things are fairly inexpensive and it would be a lot more comfortable to sleep on as well as give more traction then metal or stone.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:15 AM
Very Food Agressive

Omg poor Tyr!! No ideas here but I hope you're both ok *hugs*

Practice what you preach or keep your mouth shut.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:51 AM
Top Dog

WOW what a crate! Why don't you have the tray in?
Old 04-28-2010, 11:03 AM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catsi View Post
You know, my first thought was a piece of marble/granite tile cut to size.... but I don't know how expensive this would be. With the polished surface so that it wouldn't be too hard to clean. But then it may be a bit slippery.
Interesting...but I draw the line at giving my dog marble floors before I have them for myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
Do they offer any sort of solid metal floor for it? Or you could possibly get some metal cut to size and use that...possibly even weld it in place? Tile might be a good idea too. Possibly something slightly textured so there is some traction, but also not too textured that it's a pain to clean.
Oh...welded...maybe. I don't know anyone who welds though, but I'll ask around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb04 View Post
The ad says it has a steel tray for the bottom. Did he get his foot stuck on the sides of the crate? I'm confused.
The tray is under the bars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPP View Post
The ad says it has a floor grate. Is that what he got his foot caught in? Is it removable? Call the manufacturer; they may have a suggestion.
I don't know if it's removable. I might see if the tray can be put inside the crate on the floor grate. Not sure it'll fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPP View Post
BTW: Poor Tyr! So scary for the poor baby.

And poor CP! Has your heart moved out of your throat? Has your blood pressure gone back to normal? Have you taken something for the headache?

They only do these things to worry us.
Yea, I'm better, thanks. He's completely uninjured...go figure...all the drama and not even a scratch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpaeanx View Post
If I were you, I would prob buy a piece of plywood cut to size and glue or tack some type of cheap laminate flooring(also cut to size) over it.

It's not exactly "chew proof", but I'm sure it would take him a while to destroy it... and both things are fairly inexpensive and it would be a lot more comfortable to sleep on as well as give more traction then metal or stone.
*wonders exactly how long it would take Tyr to shred laminate*
I might give it a try though as a quick fix while I work on getting something better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy's Valkyrie View Post
Omg poor Tyr!! No ideas here but I hope you're both ok *hugs*
Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maura View Post
WOW what a crate! Why don't you have the tray in?
The tray is in.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team